Enermax Revolution85+ 1020W Power Supply Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Enermax Revolution85+ 1020W Power Supply Review - Efficiency as a goal. Future CPU proof and future GPU proof as a goal. Enermax has set the bar high and that is what we like to see out of one of our favorite PSU companies. Does the new Revolution85+ bound over that bar or just limbo under it?

Nice review! Maybe its time for a *shrugs* logo? Good to know i should stay away from this one as I'll be picking something in the 1kW range come payday. Hell, on the newegg.ca the 85+ 1050W is now $4 cheaper than the 1020W.

I really don't know how Enermax can justify its prices. The Revo85+ 920/1020W units are just Modu87+ 800/900W stretched beyond their 80 Plus Gold ratings. How they can justify their ~$250 street price for the 1020W model is beyond me. I can go out right now and get an AX1200 for $300 or one of the 1000W Superflower based PSUs from Kingwin or NZXT for $210. Or how about the $200 ABS SL1050, which is based on the previous generation Revo85+ anyway...

I really don't know how Enermax can justify its prices. The Revo85+ 920/1020W units are just Modu87+ 800/900W stretched beyond their 80 Plus Gold ratings. How they can justify their ~$250 street price for the 1020W model is beyond me. I can go out right now and get an AX1200 for $300 or one of the 1000W Superflower based PSUs from Kingwin or NZXT for $210. Or how about the $200 ABS SL1050, which is based on the previous generation Revo85+ anyway...

Enermax has often overpriced their products...and this is just another way to squeeze more profit. Cheaper to build than the 850/950/1050 versions of the Revolution and priced nearly the same. It's the same old tune every company is singing now adays....kind of like the detergent companies keep shrinking the size of the bottle, charging the same price and telling you that it is more concentrated.

Kyle,
On the first page of this review there is the image of awards given to Enermax PSUs and the [H] Gold Award is prominent. In the bottom right corner of the image, the numbers 920W / 1020W would suggest that HardOCP reviewed and gave both PSUs gold awards.

I know the difference - But - there is the possibility that someone would jump to the conclusion that the PSUs received the [H] Gold blessing.

Thank you for the honesty within this review.

It's got to be cheaper to produce than the 1050, and as posted above, I wouldn't be surprised to see the 1050 discontinued soon to push buyers to the 1020 and boost profits.

I've been using the 1050 in my main system for almost 2 years and I give it the highest praise, which is that once it was installed I never noticed it. Completely trouble-free and inaudible.

Thanks for the great review and excellent coverage of how it compares to the 1050 model.

Great review again, and glad to see the test results. I don't know anyone else that tests PSU's like this, and seeing the 5v rail take that hit during the transient test is an eye opener. I would wager this PSU is a cost-cutting design over the 1050w. Nothing wrong with that, but not if you lose output quality in the process. Come on, Enermax, we expect better.

Again, keep up the good work [H]!

Back