Engineering Sample E6600 worth more?

chickenselects

Limp Gawd
Hey all,

I have a E6600 Engineering sample that I bought at a retail store awhile back(don't ask how, they messed up) and I'm looking to upgrade. Are engineering samples worth more to people because its sort of a collectors item? I was just going to throw it on ebay/craigs list and see what happens but I thought I'd ask here first :).

Thanks.

To my knowledge, yes, ES cpu's are worth a significant amount compared to a regular cpu.

And If I'm not mistaken (correct me if I'm wrong) they have an unlocked multiplier.

meh even so i doubt its worth that much, even with the unlocked multipler.

With the price of the e8400s and q6600, who would bother to get an e6600? both would be able to dominate any e6600 with unlocked multipliers

meh even so i doubt its worth that much, even with the unlocked multipler.

With the price of the e8400s and q6600, who would bother to get an e6600? both would be able to dominate any e6600 with unlocked multipliers

Given the price, an E6600 would be great for a first CPU or a backup rig or something. I mean, if I could have gotten one (don't need now, got an E7200 on the way) for under $100 I would have took it.

ES CPUs generally suck imo. Smaller chance of OCing compared to the final CPU. Manufacturing yields increase with time (hopefully lol) so the older the CPU (ES = older) the worse it'll be.

Some of the original C2D ESes did overclock pretty well, but aside from the unlocked multiplier, there's no reason to go for an ES over a better modern CPU like an E7200 or E8300 which can both be found for well under $200 and have much higher overclocking potential as well as better clock-for-clock performance. Add $10-15 over the standard going rate of an E6600 and that's as much as I'd expect you could get for one.

Engineering samples are worth more because they don't usually have the restrictions that finalized cpu's have. However, the power consumption on engineering samples could be heightened. Due to there being a wide range of core 2 duo's on the market, the engineering sample wouldn't sell well, since there are many cheap core2's that would out preform it.

IMO, frequency being the same, a 65nm ES worth less than a 45nm regular.
Anyway, the demand for dual core is pretty low...

I agree most ES that people on the forums have jumped on have turned out to be no great shakes. There are a few that are handed out to review sites that are nice but the majority you see are not that great, even with the unlocked multi. Curiosity and scarcity will net you a few extra bucks, but it is an E6600 at the end of the day.

Hey bro,

The E6600 was my dream machine cpu that I never built(stuck with my pos P4 celeron @ the time).

Put it on ebay with a good sales pitch and c what you get. People collect the craziest sh*t(yeah people collect actual sh*t....lol).

An E660 is nice but an E8400 rocks.

Peace

I say no. A few of the ES chips i've seen lately were not unlocked and were barely different from any other retail piece. I'd only say yes if it truly was unlocked, but even at that you'd have to find the right buyer to get more than a regular E6600.

Most of what I'm reading above is just speculation. MOST ES CPUs are NOT unlocked. If anything, they are practically the same as retail chips. The ES chips that get leaked in mass quantities are usually the later, final test batches.

If it has an unlocked multi, yes, it's worth more. But I'm betting it's locked like a retail chip, so it's worth the same, if not less.

ES suck, poor overclockers compared to retail from the ES's I've had anyways.

If you'd been able to sell it during the height of the Core2 Duo frenzy two years ago, you would have made some money. But the 45nm processors have really undervalued all 65nm processors in the enthusiast market: you can get a higher potential overclock, and even if you don't overclock, the chip uses less power.

Still, you might get $100 for it if you sell it to the right person.

Back