Epic Touch 4G or iPhone4S

DNAlevelC

Gawd
Here is the deal. I am going back to Sprint to be on a plan with my fiance. I haven't been a fan of Apple for a long time. I hate iTunes with a passion and I've been on an Android phone since the Hero was big. I am a gamer on my phone, and I love my music. I used to have an iPod Touch gen 3 and I loved the player on it. I have yet to find one on Android that I like. If I was to get an iPhone I will jailbreak it as soon as I can. My HP Touchpad can fill my android needs. My biggest gripe against an iPhone 4S is the screen size. I have a 4.3" Sensation 4G right now. I am looking for logical thoughts on this, not a pissing match of fan boys. I've learned to be more open on this since my fiance is a Mac user. Also I have seen on a a few sites that the camera on the 4S is pretty damn good and I take a lot of pics with my phone.

TL|DR

1. Going back to Sprint
2. Looking at Epic 4G Touch and iPhone4S
3. Can't decide on them, love iPod music player above all
4. Want help deciding with Intelligent Discussion

Last edited:
I'm planning on getting the Nexus when it comes out shortly. Have you thought about that as well?

iPhone is a good piece of kit, solid, works well - but I appreciate the openness of the android ecosystem and personally dislike some parts of Apple as a business. They're both great phones and it's good that they're competing with eachother, but for now I prefer my droid :)

- I also hate iTunes with a firey passion. The fact that it requires Quicktime is ridiculous. It's that they try to make some things so easy that it ends up making them more complicated. My sister has an iP 3G, and is upgrading to a 4. Now it's easy enough to backup data from my driod and move to a new phone, but with iTunes I'm worried that if I bring my computer over there to help her backup, will it try to merge with the data on my computer? And when I try to sync the new iPhone 4 will it delete all the data because it's trying to sync the new, blank phone over the old copy? This is a perfect example of where I like to be in control of what is going on behind the scenes (though most users will not).

For people with one laptop and one phone, this works fine - but that's not me. Now, I'm sure there are answers to all of these questions but the point is that if you remove options in order to make things more simple and it ends up making things more opaque, then I have a problem with that.

But like I said earlier, I think the iPhone is a great phone and you can't go wrong with it.

My fiance has a macbook and that is all her. I have my win 7 lappy. We will never share iTunes. I have talked smack about Apple for a long time, and I still do, but I like some of the things that have changed on the 4S. Also like I said, my tablet will serve my need for android. It will suck not having 4G, but I will test data on her phone when she gets home tomorrow.

Epic Touch won the camera shootout.

Epic Touch with Poweramp music player can be great if you adjust the EQ to your liking.

Epic Touch also has a superior screen.

If you are also in wimax area, why not get the Epic Touch?

Me? I'm waiting on the Galaxy Nexus, which I had spotted at the local Sprint engineer testing office. I wasn't given a date, so I don't know if it is even coming.

I'm on Sprint. If I had to upgrade now from my heavily modified Evo 4G it would be the Epic Touch 4G (or as I like to call it, the Galaxy S II...) and if I could wait, it would be the Galaxy Nexus. Damn iPhone's screen is to damn small.

Couldn't wait for the Galaxy Nexus from my Evo so I got the Epic 4G Touch and I got to say this phone blows the competition out of the water. The developer community is also vibrant and you have several roms to choose from as well as a potential MIUI port coming soon. I'd say go with the E4GT.

The Epic 4G and Epic Touch 4G are not even comparable. Obviously you're not familiar with the Galaxy S II....

You said yourself you're just assuming.

OP I think this is a simple decision that you've already made. You listed 2 pro's for the iPhone - music player and camera. There are many great music players for Android. Try the MIUI player, it's very much like iPod.

As a con, trust me you will hate the smaller size of the screen and that would be a deal breaker for me. You also can't jailbreak the 4S and won't be for some time.

TLDR - get the 4S if you must have iOS, can live with the tiny screen, and must have certain apps/Siri. Otherwise, get the Epic Touch 4G.

The epic touch has one serious issue that has yet to be resolved. Search for "LOS EPIC TOUCH".
-
If they would fix this issue I would get the epic touch else I will likely get the driod razr.

I will play with my fiance's 4s today and see how I feel. I loves gaming on iPods and the music player a lot. Android being open is awesome, but some things about it seem cobbled together.

Ill bet most complaining about the screen size of the iPhone have probably never owned one. (Playing with it for 2 seconds just so you can say it sucks doesn't count, you have to live with it to have a real opinion)

I fully expected to hate the screen size when I switched to the iPhone, as the G2's 3.7" seemed to small to me. Turns out its perfectly fine, the dpi and the aspect ratio are whats makes it. No other screen can compare to the retina, super amoled plus has its own strengths, especially for movies, but its resolution is way too low for day to day stuff. I can look at sites like cnet at 100% and even the smallest letters are crystal clear. The super amoled plus was a pixelated mess, and that was the 4.3", the 4.5" must be even worse.

It also seems like apple is the only company to realize that 99% of the time we aren't watching movies on our phones. And wider isnt always better.

Ill bet most complaining about the screen size of the iPhone have probably never owned one.
I've owned 2 iPhones.....their screens suck (in terms of size). The extra size of 4"+ screens is nice for everything not just videos. Web browsing, games, ebooks, etc.

Last edited:
I've owned 2 iPhones.....their screens suck. The extra size of 4"+ screens is nice for everything not just videos. Web browsing, games, ebooks, etc.

Gotta say - most people aren't reading ebooks, browsing the web heavily, or anything like that with their phones.
Either way, this forum is the last place to ask for a balanced opinion when the word 'Apple' enters the post.

Gotta say - most people aren't reading ebooks, browsing the web heavily, or anything like that with their phones.
Everyone...every single person looks at and interfaces with their screens and a larger screen is easier to work with, especially with a touch interface.

Everyone...every single person looks at and interfaces with their screens and a larger screen is easier to work with, especially with a touch interface.
That would depend, I have 'shorter' fingers than most and I prefer the iPhone screen because I can do everything with one hand. That and I don't like a phone in my pocket that restricts movement... let alone not even really fitting in a pocket.

Epic Touch also has a superior screen.
Size-wise yes, but I believe the Retina display still has the highest phone resolution of anything out currently. Personal preference really. I have an Epic Touch 4G and think the screen is beautiful but iPhone 4/4S screens are also very impressive (some colors are not as deep, but the resolution is noticeable to me).

For me one of the biggest pluses to the iPhone was the size as I don't always believe bigger is better. While having a huge screen is nice, the Epic Touch is the largest thing I've ever carried in my pocket. Subtle things like the stock screen lock being a bit difficult with one hand pop up. Same with trying to text or Swype with one hand...

In the end price trumped anything else. Amazonwireless had the Epic Touch for $99 vs the $200 of the 4S for new customers.

I know asking here about apple is rough. I wanted to see what would be said. I used to hate apple products cause it was from apple. now I study and learn. I loved my touch, I just hated itunes. Screen was fine on my touch back then. Now I've gotten used to bigger screens tho.

iPhone 4S wins in the build quality department and if listening to music is really important to you the iPhone has better audio quality. The Galaxy S2 wins by far IMO though in the display department not only in the larger 4.3" size which makes a noticeable difference for web browsing, gaming and watching movies, but also the Samsung AMOLED PLUS display is about the best your going to find in a mobile phone.

I believe the Retina display still has the highest phone resolution of anything out currently.

That will be changing next week (Rezound) and soon after that the Nexus :). The qHD screens on many other phones aren't much lower res though; 960x540 vs 960x640. Which I think the qHD res makes more sense because of the 16:9 aspect ratio so most movies and vids don't have to crop/zoom to look right on the display.

While having a huge screen is nice, the Epic Touch is the largest thing I've ever carried in my pocket.
The Epic touch was a gigantic phone in general. the other carriers version of that phone was much more pocketable.

The Epic touch was a gigantic phone in general. the other carriers version of that phone was much more pocketable.

If you guys think the Epic Touch was gigantic you should see the Samsung Galaxy Note that FedEx just dropped off at my house ;).

So I played around with her phone last night and I remembered how much I loved my Touch. Jelly Car is so much fun. I am still torn, but I do that it's easier to type on the iPhone. I did some typing on that and went back to my Sensation. What's weird is that even tho there is a big screen difference the keyboard on the iPhone is easier to type on. Speaking of qHD screens, my Sensation has that and the screen doesn't seem to be all that. It's has this interlaced look to it all the time. Like there are banding lines all over.

I played with the 4S and I played with the Epic Touch and I was more impressed with the 4S. I went and picked one up yesterday. There are still some things I'm not happy with, but so far the good out weighs it. I haven't been able to put the thing down and I've only played games for about 20 minutes. iTunes still doesn't make me happy but it is the trade off.

iPhone 4S wins in the build quality department and if listening to music is really important to you the iPhone has better audio quality. The Galaxy S2 wins by far IMO though in the display department not only in the larger 4.3" size which makes a noticeable difference for web browsing, gaming and watching movies, but also the Samsung AMOLED PLUS display is about the best your going to find in a mobile phone.

This is probably a dead thread, but I have an Epic 4G and did a search.

Strongly disagree, music will only sound as good as the source file. With itunes you'll be using a AAC files. The Epic 4G will play Flac lossless audio, but more practicaly can play Ogg Vorbis files. I rip my CDs with EAC and then covert to Ogg Vorbis quality level 8 which is above CD quality. Proprietary music files like MP3 and AAC cant touch the sound quality. Especially at lower kbps encoded levels, Ogg Vorbis has been shown again and again to sound better than similar sized MP3s and AACs.
When my wife plugs her ipod into the home stereo with the good speakers you can really tell the difference and hear the compression and muddled bass. When I plug in my Epic it sounds just like a CD.
Other bonuses is that I can video call without having to be at a wifi spot, I can use google voice, use bluetooth headphones without pluging in a module, swap out my battery for a lager capacity, remove my memory card (upgrade, plug directly into PC), and I can browse websites that use flash and play flash based games.

This is probably a dead thread, but I have an Epic 4G and did a search.

Strongly disagree, music will only sound as good as the source file. With itunes you'll be using a AAC files. The Epic 4G will play Flac lossless audio, but more practicaly can play Ogg Vorbis files. I rip my CDs with EAC and then covert to Ogg Vorbis quality level 8 which is above CD quality. Proprietary music files like MP3 and AAC cant touch the sound quality. Especially at lower kbps encoded levels, Ogg Vorbis has been shown again and again to sound better than similar sized MP3s and AACs.
When my wife plugs her ipod into the home stereo with the good speakers you can really tell the difference and hear the compression and muddled bass. When I plug in my Epic it sounds just like a CD.
Other bonuses is that I can video call without having to be at a wifi spot, I can use google voice, use bluetooth headphones without pluging in a module, swap out my battery for a lager capacity, remove my memory card (upgrade, plug directly into PC), and I can browse websites that use flash and play flash based games.
where the heck were you two months ago?!? XD

Back