Episode 3 coming or not?

Given that Ep.3 is supposed to be the conclusion of the HL story, I suspect that this game will be much longer than the previous two episodes. Maybe almost full length. After all, Valve has quite a few loose ends to tie up...

I think they said that it isn't the end, but I'm too lazy too look up where they (Newell?) said that.

Given that Ep.3 is supposed to be the conclusion of the HL story, I suspect that this game will be much longer than the previous two episodes. Maybe almost full length. After all, Valve has quite a few loose ends to tie up...

It's probably the conclusion to this part of the story, not the story itself. I doubt Valve will decided to conclude Half-Life with Ep.3.

seriously.. Valve... instead of making a crappy game called Left for Dead 2, why don't you make Half Life 2 Episode 3 for those that have been waiting since Christmas 2007.... :mad:

You realize that just to spite you, every time this question is asked the Episode 3 developers get to play another round of Left 4 Dead during work hours right?

You realize that just to spite you, every time this question is asked the Episode 3 developers get to play another round of Left 4 Dead during work hours right?

This. Whining about it won't make Ep3 be relased any faster.

Each time source is upgraded for a game it gets applied retroactively to all the games before it.

I call shens. Is there HDR in Half Life 2? Stencil shadows in Half Life 2 Ep1? No, at least not for PC. So that right there is de-bunked.

I call shens. Is there HDR in Half Life 2? Stencil shadows in Half Life 2 Ep1? No, at least not for PC. So that right there is de-bunked.

HDR in HL2... Yes, or at least it is in the graphics options when I checked 2 minutes ago.
Stencil shadows in HL2.... I don't know about.

Newell has stated that it will take longer then it did Episodes 1 and 2, but no release date has been announced.

Episode 3 is still being worked on, but considering after the majority of projects were already out the door they decided to start working on L4D2.

BTW: Half Life 3 is the Episodes at first the Episodes were called ''Half Life 2 :Aftermath'', but it soon changed and it is the conclusion to the entire story in the Half Life universe.

BTW: Half Life 3 is the Episodes at first the Episodes were called ''Half Life 2 :Aftermath'', but it soon changed and it is the conclusion to the entire story in the Half Life universe.

Thats incorrect. Episode 3 will be the conclusion to this "arc" in the half-life universe but it will not end the series indefinately. I believe a half-life 3 is planned.

Thats incorrect. Episode 3 will be the conclusion to this "arc" in the half-life universe but it will not end the series indefinately. I believe a half-life 3 is planned.

Its not incorrect, no one knows if it is or not the last game, Episode 3 could definitely be the ending to the series as all the Episodes are like one big finale. does that mean there wont be another Half-Life?, no, but Half Life 2:''Aftermath''(now called episodes 1,2 and 3) is the conclusion to the Half Life 2 events.Meaning there can be a Half Life 3, but as far as the Half Life 2 events, it will end with Episode 3.(unless they announce an Episode 4)

So basically, yes if they really want to, they can leave us with a cliffhanger ending in Episode 3 and eventually unveil a Half Life 3, but i think Episode 3 will finished out the Half Life 2 events(which its doing) and if they decided to do another Half Life then so be it.

Its not incorrect, no one knows if it is or not the last game, Episode 3 could definitely be the ending to the series as all the Episodes are like one big finale. does that mean there wont be another Half-Life?, no, but Half Life 2:''Aftermath''(now called episodes 1,2 and 3) is the conclusion to the Half Life 2 events.Meaning there can be a Half Life 3, but as far as the Half Life 2 events, it will end with Episode 3.(unless they announce an Episode 4)

So basically, yes if they really want to, they can leave us with a cliffhanger ending in Episode 3 and eventually unveil a Half Life 3, but i think Episode 3 will finished out the Half Life 2 events(which its doing) and if they decided to do another Half Life then so be it.

You just disagreed with what I said but upon explanation you agreed with what I said... :confused:

Who cares about Episode 3 I want the ORIGINAL Team Frotress 2 designed game to come out from Valve. First off years ago TF2 was to be a BattleFIeld 2 or Joint Op's style game but done on a bigger scale with more detail.

Sure I do like the current TF2 game alot it is really cool, but still want Valve to make this BattleField style game they spent alot of time designing then just stopped all of a sudden working on it. Bring it back

It's coming this winter along with Left4Dead 2 and Portal 2 in the "Orange Box Pt. 2"

I wish:(

I would join in brick-shitting.

In the developer commentary for something Gabe Newell stated something along the lines of "Half life 2 ep3 will be the end of this part of the story [I think he might have even said "the end of gordan freeman"] but it will by no means by the end of the half-life franchise."

But hey, I just logged my 400th hr in TF2, I'm still playing L4D and just yesterday had a scrim (where I got scrubbed) in CS 1.6. I'm also planning on having a small lan and getting a good bucket of hours of Dota in today, not to mention I've got an itch to start playing Ragnarok, WOW, and Gunbound all over again. SC2 and D3 (even though I've lost some faith in blizzard with their split into flagship-studios) will tide me over for years. Quite frankly, I'm loving my current gaming scene, and will be perfectly happy to sit in it for as long as valve wants me to. --and thats not even mentioning the sad amount of time I've put into COD4 and will put into MW2.

all powered by an old 8800GTS, which is nice.

Stencil shadows in Half Life 2 Ep1?
I don't think any Source games use stencil shadows. Looks like some kind of shadow mapping. Your point still stands, though. Old Source engine games don't automatically inherit new graphical updates.

HDR in HL2... Yes, or at least it is in the graphics options when I checked 2 minutes ago.
I don't think HL2 ever got HDR. Note that the menu option is "HDR (if available)"...

I think HL2 and Ep1 use the same engine, so HL2 got HDR and colour-correction capability (though not compatible assets), as well as bloom, when Ep1 was released. But neither got motion blur, etc. from the Orange Box version of source.

I don't think HL2 ever got HDR. Note that the menu option is "HDR (if available)"...

I think HL2 and Ep1 use the same engine, so HL2 got HDR and colour-correction capability (though not compatible assets), as well as bloom, when Ep1 was released. But neither got motion blur, etc. from the Orange Box version of source.

I think you are correct. While HL2 does have HDR available, none of the original maps use it. The Lost Coast demo and beyond do. Though various HL2 mods do add the newer models and graphics options from the newer versions of source, it is nothing Valve did.

Sure I do like the current TF2 game alot it is really cool, but still want Valve to make this BattleField style game they spent alot of time designing then just stopped all of a sudden working on it. Bring it back
That sounds ...boring. It might have been groundbreaking in 1999; nowadays it'd just be more of the same.

And they didn't axe it out of the blue and start on an entirely different game. They changed, one by one, the things which weren't much fun. The game you want was probably largely finished back then, and wasn't released simply because it wasn't very good.

Who cares about Episode 3 I want the ORIGINAL Team Frotress 2 designed game to come out from Valve. First off years ago TF2 was to be a BattleFIeld 2 or Joint Op's style game but done on a bigger scale with more detail.

This. TF2 came out so different then what was planned. Not sure how we went to Opposing Force style TF with REAL balanced game play to somewhat balanced gameplay with the same drab maps but Incredibles style graphics. I suspect drugs were involved in the development process. :confused: :D

NEVER BEING RELEASED.

No. What they're going to do is they're going to merge Half-Life with L4D. If you read the leaked storyline, Francis, Bill, Zoey, and Louis find themselves in Black Mesa after Gordon Freeman activates "that shopping cart thing" [sic.] and they find themselves teleported by an anamolie to City 17 where they must join the resistance and fight the Combine (yet again).

In all seriousness, can't they just release the new engine with Counter-Strike? I remember when the leaked HL2 came out and I was making maps in Hammer/Worldcraft/whatever-it-is-called-now and experimenting with the new physics and entities and I managed to get a "game" working of hockey with gravity guns, hockey sticks, and a watermelon. People joined often and it was fun messing with the physics. Then someone figured out how to work the CS:S part of the leak and nobody joined my server ever again... :(

Back