Epower Power Supplies

jhatfie

[H]ard|Gawd
I just ordered up a Epower 470W from Newegg. Why Epower and not a Enermax, Fortron or Antec? Well mostly because I have been amazed with my OCZ Powerstream 520W. It is by far the best PSU I have ever owned. The OCZ is manufactured by Tagan (or at least the same manufacturer does both) which, although fairly new, has been getting great reviews in it's own right (In Europe), just as the OCZ has gotten very favorable reviews here in North America. The Epower's appeat to be basically rebranded Tagan's so I imagine they should perform just as well and I'd like to try them out. It looks very similar to my OCZ with the same green led fan, twisted leads and shielded VGA and HDD connections and has ample rails with the 28A on the 12v rail looking very good for my A64 setup which puts a hurting on my Thermaltake 480W for some reason.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-101-504&depa=0

i was looking at those Epower PSUs just yesterday...i'm tempted to get the "Cheetah" or "Jaguar" 450w models, i've read several good reviews on the Jaguar, plus the dedicated VGA connector is a great idea, i think.

tristam said:
i've read several good reviews on the Jaguar.

(dilberately misinterpreting your post)
I highly doubt that

99% of the reviews posted on the net are pure and utter garbage
Im singularly unimpressed with that power supply until some sort of information can be located that gives its transient response and AC Ripple specs
if indeed its the same manufacturer as the OCZ Powerstream, Tagan and Vantec, that would make it a Topower
a reasonably good ATX12V v1.3 PSU

till then its suspect

and its would still just be a v1.3 not an ATX12V v2.0 (w\ dual +12V rails)

trustworhy reviews can be found here > http://www.silentpcreview.com/section4.html
including the OCZ

man you are tearing me to pieces today ice czar...

legitreviews and cluboc had a review on it, and so did ... extremepc or some site like that...anyway, thats just what i heard. the epower PSUs ARE made by Tagan, though.

Ice Czar,

I did some looking over at the Topower site and it appears you are correct. The OCZ and Epower seem to be manufactured by them. The 470W Epower I just bought appears to be the TOP-470XP model with whatever extra's Epower had included to make thiers sort of unique like the shielded vga and HDD lines, etc. The OCZ I have seems to be based on the TOP-626P6 which comes in two flavors. One with dual 12v rails and is listed as ATX 12v 2.0 "compliant". The only major change it seems was the adjustable rails that the OCZ provides. Interesting.

Back