Epox 9npaj overvolting by .1v on its own?

DryFire

2[H]4U
Alright well I finally got my new setup completed which consists of an Epox 9NPAJ, Venice 3000+, 2 gigs of patroit memory and an XP-90 w/ low speed fan.

the odd part is that when I started overclocking the board set vcore at 1.55v all on it's own (i left it on auto).

I know AMD 64's can draw an extra .05v when under full load but for the motherboard to at an additional .1v (vcore was reading 1.55v) is pretty obsurd. I set it to +.025 volts and it seem to be working properly now (reading 1.475-1.48), i have the latest bios on epox's site.

Anyone else encoutering something like this? Currently the cpu' set at 9x280 and manually setting the voltage lowered load temps 3 degrees (prime95) so i'm led to believe voltage readings are pretty spot on.

Another odd thing, when i stop prime95 vcore reads 1.5v-1.51v (using speedfan and cpu-z). This is one odd motherboard.

I haven't heard of that issue, but it doesn't surprise me. Motherboard manufacturers have been "tweaking" things to get a little extra "stock" performance. Everything from bumping the FSB up a few mhz at "stock" speeds to overvolting like this I guess. As long as you can manually drop it to the level you want, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

My epox 9npa+ultra had 1.45v on auto... and I thought Venice chips usually had 1.35-1.4v. With cpuz, it would read anywhere from 1.42 to 1.47 (constantly fluctuating, even when idle).

It was stable, though. I RMA'd it because my onboard ethernet crapped out after about a week, but I didn't have any problems with stability.

DryFire said:
BLAH

Another odd thing, when i stop prime95 vcore reads 1.5v-1.51v (using speedfan and cpu-z). This is one odd motherboard.

my mobo says it does that too, my mobo also says that my 3.3v rail is at 3.14v, when tested with a multimeter, i found out it was 3.43v. im guessing that the mobo is just saying that its giving more vcore, you should probably use a multimeter to test out whats really going down with it. i never trust windows based readings since that.

but i have heard of epox boards over volting by .1v, some people with stock cooling were pissed about it.

well I'mnot really pissed but i really wanted to see how far i could push it with stock setting but it's really isn't possible with this board.

that said the overclocking options are more then adequate.

Back