ePSXe question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kahnvex

2[H]4U
Has anybody here had any problems running ePSXe on Windows 7?

regardless of what plugin I use for the cd-rom, when I go to set it up, as soon as I select the drive letter and configure the settings, it nukes my cd-rom subsystem. I then have to reboot to bring it back.

I've never really tried using it before, I figured it would be easier if I could just pop my copy of FF7 in the drive and run it that way, but at this point I'm going to try out making an image file of it and running from that.

With all the talk on here all the time about FF7 and FF13 coming up in March I thought I might be in the mood for some old school FF gaming. All else fails, I'll load it up on my PS3, but all the talk on the forum is that it looks like total garbage, so I thought maybe on the PC, being able to upscale it might help.

Thoughts?

Would probably be wise to search for answers here instead:
http://www.ngemu.com/forums/epsxe-discussion/

Thats where I got all the plugins and such. I know a lot of people here talk about FF7 in particular, figured someone might have had a quick answer. I really don't feel like joining another forum.

I jerked around with it, made an image and it works fine from that. Some bugs with the sound when I exit, but eh, no biggie.

I'm going to give it a shot on the PS3, I really don't think it could look any worse, the game really has aged, and I think I just didn't realize how much. Never played it back in the day, but right now those bland 3d character sprite really look awful.

I'm going to play it for a bit and see if I can ignore the graphics after a while.

Thanks for the reply.

The only real success I've ever had is using an isoloader plugin to load a disc image, rather than loading it from the actual drive.

As well, while the PS3 may upscale the output's resolution, ePSXe can do a lot more for you visually. Go check out what some of the shaders can do, the bump shader and the cartoon shader are especially nice for older games.

The only real success I've ever had is using an isoloader plugin to load a disc image, rather than loading it from the actual drive.

As well, while the PS3 may upscale the output's resolution, ePSXe can do a lot more for you visually. Go check out what some of the shaders can do, the bump shader and the cartoon shader are especially nice for older games.

yeah I absolutely had to run off an image of the disc, then load that. Takes forever to make a 650MB image off a PS1 disc I found out. I couldn't get it to stop nuking my cd-rom subsystem. I'll chalk it up to windows 7 and protected layers and blah blah blah. No biggie.

I also loaded it up on the PS3 on my 50" panasonic plasma. Ab.so.lute garbage. Upscaled, noscaled, smoothed, not-smoothed, stretched and not stretched. It looked awful. One of my buddies who happened to be around stated that the game looking so terrible on modern TV's was one of the reasons he got rid of it. I've got an HD Tube TV that if I ever decide to go back catalog digging will be my weapon of choice there.

Plasma does the PS1 no justice.

The emulator version however, comparably, looks terrific. i think my size limit is about 1280x1024 in a window though, even scaled and keeping the aspect ratio correct, it looks pretty bad at 1600x1200.

I may have a new way to pass the time with all the old PSX games I bought and never played. The 360 controller maps to the dual shock configuration PERFECTLY and I'm pretty pleased about that.

Thanks again for the replies.

you do know you can just buy a psp 1000 or psp 2000, hack it, crack it, then put all the PS1 games you want on em and theyll work pretty well?

How do I know? cause i've done it

nothing beats Xenogears or FF7 on a handheld being able to take it anywhere you go

you do know you can just buy a psp 1000 or psp 2000, hack it, crack it, then put all the PS1 games you want on em and theyll work pretty well?

How do I know? cause i've done it

nothing beats Xenogears or FF7 on a handheld being able to take it anywhere you go

I've thought about that, but I'm not really a handheld guy. I always think I will be and I always end up not using them when I get them. a friend of mine does that and he's very fond of his, but the tiny screens always end up keeping me from using them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back