ergonomic mouse device.. any suggestions?

Hey all,

I'm on the comp alot, and my wrist hurts from all the mousing around. I tried looking into two products so far, and neither are really working for me. The first was a handheld touchpad that I got off of ebay. It's ok, but even after using it out for a while, the speed is just not there with day to day tasks. (mousing around, right clicking on a link and telling to it to open in a new tab - I do this alot with most of my web surfing)

The one I'm currently using is the Evoluent vertical mouse. First thing is right out of the box, it has "stuttering" issues.. If the mouse is completely motionless, the pointer will sometimes stutter around the screen, as if I'm shaking my hand. This obviously makes for some mis-clicks with things. Also, as great as it sounded, it's just not entirely working out speedwise either. I am no where near as speedy as with a regular mouse of clicking on things and navigating drop down menus to click on options, etc.

So.. does anyone have anything they use that they like? I was recently thinking about a pen mouse or such. Thinking about it, there wouldn't be any need for useability retraining of my hand, we've all been using/holding pencils/pens for a long time. Looking at the grip though, holding a regular mouse, and then going to holding a pen, there isn't much change in the wrist/hand, so I wonder if that would even give me any benefit? (I also use 3 monitors, so if that makes a difference, I think I saw something about using multiple monitors and not being able to use mouse pen pads?)

I'm kind of at a loss here, so if you have any suggestions/help that would be great! Thanks!

Trackball.

It's what everyone I know with RSI / carpel tunnel issues uses, and with good reason -- only your finger moves.

I used to use the big ball type of trackballs (MS Trackball Exporer or Logitech Marble FX) for photo editing, which helped with my wrist pains. Now I just use L-shaped desks, since my aim with a mouse is better than with a trackball, lol.

Back