Eset NOD32 Antivirus - $29.99 FS @ Egg

I'm a little puzzled by the comments - they actually ask for your home number?

I'm a little puzzled by the comments - they actually ask for your home number?

From my experience during the registration, the only stuff you NEED to input is name, email, cd key. There are other boxes for address and phone number, but those are strictly optional

Got the OEM edition of NOD32 last time it was 20 something bucks. Highly recommended antivirus program, coming from someone who hates them. I'm the guy who used to refuse AV programs because the resources it would take up while gaming. :)

1 of the virus scanner you wont regret getting.
other is bitdefender.

Hmm, nah, I prefer ESET Smart Security for my computers. Still, NOD32 is a very nice antivirus for slower computers.

with the free options available is this worth getting?

Honestly? No. Nod32 is good, very good in fact, and much better than the "names", like Computer Associates, mcaffee, trend micro, etc; and it's on par with the lesser known stuff that's also very good, like Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Dr. Web, F-secure, etc. But the simple fact is there are better free versions out there, namely Avira.

Honestly? No. Nod32 is good, very good in fact, and much better than the "names", like Computer Associates, mcaffee, trend micro, etc; and it's on par with the lesser known stuff that's also very good, like Kaspersky, Bitdefender, Dr. Web, F-secure, etc. But the simple fact is there are better free versions out there, namely Avira.

I have been using avast for a while and like it. I understand AVG is good a well. Haven't heard of Avira, will have to look into it.

I can't see spending money for something I can get free at the same performance.

AVG's new version is a bloated, buggy piece of garbage. There's a reason people are still using 7.5. Avast is very good, slightly under Avira in detection rates, another solid AV. Frankly, you couldn't go wrong with either, I personally like Avira's GUI MUCH better than Avast's.

AVs are a very personal decision, what works for you might not work for someone else. If you have a solid, well made product with good detections and is light on resources, you're fine. The best of the best is usually 0.5% difference in detection rates at that point.

AVG's new version is a bloated, buggy piece of garbage. There's a reason people are still using 7.5. Avast is very good, slightly under Avira in detection rates, another solid AV. Frankly, you couldn't go wrong with either, I personally like Avira's GUI MUCH better than Avast's.

AVs are a very personal decision, what works for you might not work for someone else. If you have a solid, well made product with good detections and is light on resources, you're fine. The best of the best is usually 0.5% difference in detection rates at that point.

I will def have to take a look at Avira. can't beat the price :D

I do like Avira a little more than NOD32, but I disagree that any of the other stuff you listed is even CLOSE to either Avira or NOD32. See: www.av-comparatives.org

I used to rate Avira and NOD32 the same other than pricing, but NOD32 3.0 has given me some headaches.

NOD32 is a very good program, but I've heard of too many problems lately with false-positives & interference with some other applications.

I think it was either Best Buy or Circuit City that had Kaspersky AV for $19.99 this past week. IMHO, it's a better choice.

As a side note, as effective as NOD32 is, it is probably the fastest scanning AV application available if somebody is looking for that specific feature.

Nod32 would only let me scan in safe mode. Other than that it was low on resources and had fast scans. I liked how it gave option to terminate a bug instead of just quarantining it.

Im confused. Why even pay for antivirus when you can get AVG for free?

Because, compared to AVG Free, its faster, uses less resources and has a higher detection rate? I used to use AVG Free, but discarded it because of how it thrashed the hell out my hard drives while slowing my system to a crawl. I bought and installed NOD32 and haven't looked back.

I've no problems spending money on an anti-virus as long as I'm getting quality. And you're definitely getting quality with NOD32.

Hmm, nah, I prefer ESET Smart Security for my computers. Still, NOD32 is a very nice antivirus for slower computers.
Comodo is free and better than Smart Security's firewall. I generally use the NOD32 free trial after a reformat and then after 30 days go to Avira AntiVir because it's free and excellent. The only problem with the free version is that it only autoupdates once a day but I'm not complaining. Extremely light weight and just as good as NOD32's detection rates, in the latest May 2008 AV comparatives test these two were the only virus scanners that scored 'advanced+'.

Comodo is free and better than Smart Security's firewall. I generally use the NOD32 free trial after a reformat and then after 30 days go to Avira AntiVir because it's free and excellent'.

Why wouldn't you just put Avira on there in the first place then?

because I do like nod32 better for the frequent updates and lack of pop up but I'm not paying for it.

You are correct, but how in the CRAP do you get rid of the annoying popups in Avira free? It pops up once a day offering me their internet security complete suite for the special discount of $20!!!! I will PAY to not have that.

How does NOD32 work with VISTA64?

You are correct, but how in the CRAP do you get rid of the annoying popups in Avira free? It pops up once a day offering me their internet security complete suite for the special discount of $20!!!! I will PAY to not have that.

How does NOD32 work with VISTA64?

Works great. Actually it was one of the first that I saw that had a specific 64-bit version that was compatible with Vista, when Vista was first released.

That price is not a deal, it the same price it has always been. Once a month Newegg puts out a promo code for 10 dollars off. So if you really want to buy it I would use a Avira and wait for the promo code so you can get it for 20 bucks..

That being said though I am currently using the ESET Smart Security trial on my Vista 64 business edition. It was working great for two weeks until the firewall decided to block all internet access. I have to disable when I feel like browsing. I called ESET customer support and they are really helpful and THEY AREN'T OUTSOURCED TO INDIA yet. So I was actually able to speak to someone that spoke English and knew how to do their job. They emailed a step by step guide to troubleshoot the issue however it didn't work and I am still working with my case rep to resolve the issue.

Despite the firewall issue I strongly recommend ESET because of the great software and customer support they have. I mean have you tried calling Norton lately to get help with an issue. Its unbelievable how long it take to talk to someone then they just transfer you around in circles and put you on hold for 3 hours... ESET was 10 minute phone call and a "solution" was emailed to me before I even hung up...

I wanted to download Avira but I couldn't understand German :D

Seriously, the page would not change to English even when I toggled the Sprache switch.

Basisschutz
Schützt Ihren Computer vor gefährlichen Viren, Würmern, Trojanern und kostenspieligen Dialern.

Dokumentation
Avira AntiVir Personal - FREE Antivirus ist nur für die private Verwendung zu Hause und nicht für gewerbliche Nutzung.

So I stuck with AVG. It seems to run fine on my system, I don't understand all the complaints.

Eh never mind, it seems my NoScript was messing with the page. I can see it in English now. But I don't see the performance issues with AVG, honestly. I am using version 8.0.

Running Vista32 currently, I see:
(executable/memory usage/process description)
avgemc.exe 792K AVG E-Mail Scanner
avgrsx.exe 8,480K AVG Resident Shield Service
avgtray.exe 4,280K AVG Tray Monitor
avgwdsvc.exe 2,072K AVG Watchdog Service

(All of which are using 0% CPU currently)

The biggest memory and CPU users are:
Firefox.exe
svchost.exe (3 instances)
explorer.exe
dwm.exe
and finally at 7th place avgrsx.exe

I am sticking with AVG 7.5. I tired 8 but it has reached critical mass and turned into bloatware. I'll go elsewhere eventually.

Eh never mind, it seems my NoScript was messing with the page. I can see it in English now. But I don't see the performance issues with AVG, honestly. I am using version 8.0.

Who cares if it's low on memory? It's also low on detection rates. I can't understand why people cling to such crappy software when reviews are linked proving such, and when free alternatives that are much better are available.

That price is not a deal, it the same price it has always been. Once a month Newegg puts out a promo code for 10 dollars off. So if you really want to buy it I would use a Avira and wait for the promo code so you can get it for 20 bucks..

That being said though I am currently using the ESET Smart Security trial on my Vista 64 business edition. It was working great for two weeks until the firewall decided to block all internet access. I have to disable when I feel like browsing. I called ESET customer support and they are really helpful and THEY AREN'T OUTSOURCED TO INDIA yet. So I was actually able to speak to someone that spoke English and knew how to do their job. They emailed a step by step guide to troubleshoot the issue however it didn't work and I am still working with my case rep to resolve the issue.

Despite the firewall issue I strongly recommend ESET because of the great software and customer support they have. I mean have you tried calling Norton lately to get help with an issue. Its unbelievable how long it take to talk to someone then they just transfer you around in circles and put you on hold for 3 hours... ESET was 10 minute phone call and a "solution" was emailed to me before I even hung up...

This is why I just use the Antivirus piece these days and just use the Windows firewall in Vista. It's good enough, and I'm behind a router anyways.

If you haven't tried Kaspersky, they can be just as bad or even worse. There is usually a pop-up for every single thing you do. It just becomes so daunting and annoying I just gave up on it. It looks at source port being used as well as the destination, and the source port would change a lot. It would really suck if I would have had to re-add the exceptions for a rebuild. I'm cringing just thinking about it...

Use Comodo firewall.

Why? To get an overly verbal firewall with a HIPS that refuses to STFU and do its job? I'd rather have rising's firewall and say, Norton Antibot, or threatfire if I was running 32 bit.

Better yet, just run the HIPS and windows firewall.

I've used nod32 for years now and its my AV of choice when it comes to client's machines as its hassle free.

I have had some problems recently however, I cannot run Itunes (the newest version) with nod32 enabled, it freezes and locks up the computer... I'm going to try updating to the newest version hoping to solve that

just so you guys know this price has been there for like a year now, this is where i order my stacks of 100 of nod32 for client workstations.

their price for 100 stack is cheaper then my reseller gets, so i go from there.

if anyone needs business software from ESET let me know, i am talking about server + workstation stuff.

just so you guys know this price has been there for like a year now, this is where i order my stacks of 100 of nod32 for client workstations.

their price for 100 stack is cheaper then my reseller gets, so i go from there.

if anyone needs business software from ESET let me know, i am talking about server + workstation stuff.

I got 40 from a reseller for a cheaper unit price than this.

Back