ESXi Server to "carry around"

onin

Limp Gawd
Im still at school and I wanted to carry around a little ESXi server with me. This will be mainly used on deploying Windows Server 2008 / Win7 Clients.

I found these . . .

Zotacs

Sapphire

can anybody recommend something for me? my budget is around $400-$500

Thanks

Do you have a laptop? You could setup a small ESXi lab with VMware Workstation on a Windows Laptop or VMware Fusion on a Mac. I'm setting one up on my Macbook now..just waiting on some additional memory, and an extra SSD.

A laptop ...new or used that can be expanded to 8-16GB memory.
Run VM Workstation.

Those mini PCs would not be the best tool for the job.

Laptop + VMware Workstation. I was able to build a surprisingly large lab in 6GB of memory on my old laptop. Now I have a dedicated whitebox with 32GB

yep, laptop + 256gb ssd (m4's on sale at newegg this weekend for 179 btw), + 8gb of ram.

I have a pretty decent laptop. I have vmware workstation installed.

I also carry a router around if my peers wanted to do some "real" networking.

I just wanted to get one of these little pcs so my machine wont get bogged down that much. but if the 3 of you guys insists I will stick with vmware workstation :p

Well..you can certainly do what you like...just trying to make it easier for you.;) From what I'm told if you're worried about performance, SSD should illeviate that.

My plan is to run 16GB of RAM, an additional SSD in my Superdrive slot with proper drive caddy, and Fusion. I will then run the EMC UberVSA and present the second SSD to two nested ESXi hosts.

I was thinking of trying out the uber vsa, but the http site seems very slow, and the torrent links no longer work :(

Yeah, I'll probably be doing my live VMworld demos off my notebook. I have a (3) host cluster w/ vCenter, a DC, NAS, and 6 linux guest VMs running on my rMBP w/ 16GB. Runs FAST too.

You should be able to find a Fujitsu Primergy TX100S3 for around 300. Then upgrade the memory and add a HDD or 2 and you would have a pretty good little host in a fairly small package.

zero client and leave it at home?

don't think you can get around the need for a server board and cpu, you'd look so 90's carrying around a LAN party PC with the big plastic handle on top - I think that's what you'd need tho, and who cares how it looks carrying it when you're only concerned with it's inner beauty.

a user review or two on newegg pointed to the idea the Primergy won't work with ESXi, but think i read another someplace that said it worked, but video conversion was slow - but i don't know if they had enabled 3D and what their video was set to - cool freakin case (to my eyes)

Last edited:
Back