ET:Quake wars

FlyinBrian

Gawd
I have been playing this beta event since it released and after getting a good feel for this game I have come to the conclusion this game is a xbox360 game that has been ported to the pc.

First, the game is locked by default at 30 fps, almost any pc gamer will notice the low frame rate, it "feels" laggy.

Second, the hit boxes are off slightly for headshots but would probably work perfectly for something like a umm controller ? Last but not least, the graphics are a giant heaping pile of letdown, you can tell they spent very little time optimizing for pc graphics, I bet you hands down the xbox360 version will look much better than the pc edition. wait and see. So if this is what pc gamers will now be subjected to(Console port garbage), it really is a sad day in pc gaming history.

I would also like to mention is I wonder why they remade battle field 2 with a quake engine.. its rediculous how much they ripped off. Im not saying it because i loved bf2 but because I loved ET, this game doesnt play like ET at all. I doesnt have the excitement ET had nor does it encourage team work. Its basically bunny hoping- base camping yesterdays trash. Im really dissapointed in ID.

this game doesnt play like ET at all. I doesnt have the excitement ET had nor does it encourage team work. Its basically bunny hoping- base camping yesterdays trash.

I completely disagree.

You've only played one map, give it a chance. This game is way deeper than anything before it. Calling it a battlefield clone is totally unfair.

I have been playing this beta event since it released and after getting a good feel for this game I have come to the conclusion this game is a xbox360 game that has been ported to the pc.

First, the game is locked by default at 30 fps, almost any pc gamer will notice the low frame rate, it "feels" laggy.

Second, the hit boxes are off slightly for headshots but would probably work perfectly for something like a umm controller ? Last but not least, the graphics are a giant heaping pile of letdown, you can tell they spent very little time optimizing for pc graphics, I bet you hands down the xbox360 version will look much better than the pc edition. wait and see. So if this is what pc gamers will now be subjected to(Console port garbage), it really is a sad day in pc gaming history.

I would also like to mention is I wonder why they remade battle field 2 with a quake engine.. its rediculous how much they ripped off. Im not saying it because i loved bf2 but because I loved ET, this game doesnt play like ET at all. I doesnt have the excitement ET had nor does it encourage team work. Its basically bunny hoping- base camping yesterdays trash. Im really dissapointed in ID.

I 100% agree with you. I too played Wolf:ET and thought it was a great game with lots of action and many objectives to accomplish, and this plays nothing like it. It doesnt help the fact that because its not as slow as Wolf:ET and not as fast as UT, you can't play it either way. There is no dodging, there is just a bunch of hopping and spraying. I am disappointed in the game, and until the demo comes out, I wont change my mind about the purchase.

What the hell? It plays a lot like W:ET. The classes have been changed up a bit, and the game is set in the future, as opposed to the past, so it is different. But it plays a lot like W:ET.

I believe they said that for the beta, they capped the fps at 30, and used dumbed down graphics to go easy on the servers. so, i say wait until at least demo to pass final judgment...

I believe they said that for the beta, they capped the fps at 30, and used dumbed down graphics to go easy on the servers. so, i say wait until at least demo to pass final judgment...
The FPS is easily uncapped and the graphics are not "dumbed down." There are some hidden commands that make the game look better though.

Your whole point falls apart when you remember the game was in development for nearly 3 years before a 360 version was even a rumor.

As for the rest of your problems, half of them have already been addressed on the forums and will be fixed in the upcoming patches, and the rest can be tweaked with console commands (unlock the FPS, better graphics).

Personally, I find this to be the deepest and most fulfilling online FPS I've ever played. Playing each kit doesn't feel like a new skin with one worthwhile ability, it feels like a new experience. There's a depth of strategy and tactics that you only begin to scratch the surface of after hours of play.

I thought I knew that name from somewhere, ScreamingBroccoli. I played with you last night I think it was. You had an [H] tag right? You were in the tank and I kept pestering you with the Tormentor.

The FPS is easily uncapped and the graphics are not "dumbed down." There are some hidden commands that make the game look better though.

What/where are these hidden commands that make the game look better?
Perhaps stored inside R2-D2?

I keep up with the official quake wars forums and all I know about is removing the 30 FPS cap, nothing else.

What/where are these hidden commands that make the game look better?
Perhaps stored inside R2-D2?

I keep up with the official quake wars forums and all I know about is removing the 30 FPS cap, nothing else.
r_megaDrawMethod 0, i saw it somewhere in the forums...

Words on the tubes say gfx nerfed for smaller beta download. (megatextures dimensions have been doubled since initial developement)

As I understand it that makes shadows a little better close up but the far away details become more faded.

imagepb9.jpg

image2vx8.jpg

A comparison between the two modes. I also started a thread with more shots.

I thought I knew that name from somewhere, ScreamingBroccoli. I played with you last night I think it was. You had an [H] tag right? You were in the tank and I kept pestering you with the Tormentor.

yup, that was me, hahah, I knew I thought that was you :) I love that tank

BTW, I'm really enjoying it, I can't wait to see what other levels and things there will be.

I love my Tormentor, I'm getting better with it too:

Ohyeah.jpg

Spent 85% of the game in it, destroying their deployables and vehicles and occasionally hoping down to rain death with my rail howitzer :).

You guys will have to excuse my sort of rant. Im perfectly aware this is a beta. I still cant help but feel this is a console port. The game has its fun elements of course, but to me it plays a bit too much like quake and not enough like ET. I dont remember being able to run 60 mph and bunny hoping like a jack rabbit on meth. If you get lucky enough to find a good server with players that want to play the game it cant be a lot of fun.

Im not giving up on it yet and maybe i expected to much in the first place. ET was my favorite fps game so I had very high hopes for this.

Really? I never played ET much, but most of the ET vets I've heard said the speed is comparable, if not a little slower.

Also, as I said, there's no way this game is a console port, because the game was in development for years before console versions were even a thought. I do think it's very rough around the edges, but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that this is a beta build. The SD people who have commented on the forums have made it clear that this isn't some publicity stunt or early demo, and that they're improving on everything constantly. \

Right now they already have a new build with a lot of improvements and they plan to roll out patches soon. I've seen two different devs make comments, one mentioning improved hit detection and more accurate fire spray, along with improved vehicle physics, which are my two biggest complaints with the game so far.

I don't think anyone needs to worry, I think SD knows what's up and I think they're really working on making this the best game it can be.

The game is so frenetically paced that I would love to see a player capable of aiming in the remote vicinity of properly with a joystick and no faggoty-ass aim assist.

You guys will have to excuse my sort of rant. Im perfectly aware this is a beta. I still cant help but feel this is a console port. The game has its fun elements of course, but to me it plays a bit too much like quake and not enough like ET. I dont remember being able to run 60 mph and bunny hoping like a jack rabbit on meth. If you get lucky enough to find a good server with players that want to play the game it cant be a lot of fun.

Im not giving up on it yet and maybe i expected to much in the first place. ET was my favorite fps game so I had very high hopes for this.
Console port? Wtf? The game started as PC only, and then while it was in development id decided to release it on some consoles too, and 2 other developers are doing that, not Splash Damage. So the game you have was purely developed for PC...

This is an early beta.. so what you write is nonsense and somethings even not right.

Beta or whatever, it was supposed to be out last year, and it still doesn't look too good, vehicles are buggy at best, etc.

To think I signed up for a year at FilePlanet for this. Oh well, at least I was able to sell the beta key to recoup some of the cost. :p

Beta or whatever, it was supposed to be out last year, and it still doesn't look too good, vehicles are buggy at best, etc.

To think I signed up for a year at FilePlanet for this. Oh well, at least I was able to sell the beta key to recoup some of the cost. :p
thats why they are Splash Damage and not EA. Unfinished products suck.

you signed up for a year subscription just for the beta?
you know you could have just paid $7 for a one month subscription and gotten in a day later?

you signed up for a year? hello? $6.90? i had done that when i heard about the beta...kept it for two. then it didn't come out so i cancelled it. then the week it finally came out i signed up again for the same price. wow. :rolleyes:

amazing.

I love my Tormentor, I'm getting better with it too:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v457/Opioid/Ohyeah.jpg[IMG]

Spent 85% of the game in it, destroying their deployables and vehicles and occasionally hoping down to rain death with my rail howitzer :).[/QUOTE]

i hate you. if i was in that game i would have been pissed off beyond belief. and i would have been a soldier the whole game and make shooting you down my whole mission. :p lol

As a Strogg, I view death as a fresh body and a new Tormentor :p.

Plus there's always the flare decoys. Man do I love those things :D.

thats why they are Splash Damage and not EA. Unfinished products suck.

Oh so true.
This game won't come out until it is polished and waxed.

So please stop passing judgment on Quake Wars.
Report any problems you find or things that you don't like so that they can make it better.

Back