Ethernet driver will not install after mobo swap

blbrchnk

Limp Gawd
I have now swapped two motherboards since the original that Windows 7 was installed on. On both of these boards, the ethernet driver will not install. If I check the properties I get the following:

This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)

I have uninstalled/re-installed in both normal and safe mode, tried letting WU handle the driver update, tried installing from the CD (These say that the controller was not found even though I see it in device manager), even tried editing the group policy editor to not allow installation of drivers as I was thinking that maybe windows just kept installing the wrong driver before I could get the correct one in. All have got me nowhere. I could really use some suggestions here. Thanks.

I tried this and all it seemed to do is tick off my usb wireless card as well. :p

Thanks for the try though. Its odd because when I try the realtek driver installer program, it says it cannot find the card, even though I see it in device manager changing from Unknown Device to the Realtek card with the problem.

The motherboard is the Gigabyte GA-EX58-UDR3 if that helps at all.
Are you using the driver from GA website or just some generic one?

Try the Realtek Network Diagnostic Utility on their site. It lets you run a few test on the NIC as well as view properties, etc.

Also, in Device Manager, is there anything else not installed, other than the NIC?

Try to delete everything you see under Network Adapters, when prompted to delete the driver, check the box. Now hit the button in the top of device manager that looks like a magnifying glass over the computer (search for plug and play devices) Repeat this find/delete process until it can not find any more drivers for the NIC (even wipes out WU drivers which I've had problems with for NICs in the past with GA boards)

Once your at a point where there are no drivers to install, have an extracted copy of the realtek drivers on your desktop. Go back to Network Adapters, choose your adapter that has the yellow tick by it, go to the properties/drivers tab and Update Driver, browse computer, then point to the Win7 folder within the Realtek folder that's on your desktop.

Try the Realtek Network Diagnostic Utility on their site. It lets you run a few test on the NIC as well as view properties, etc.

I have it installed, but the only NIC listed is the usb wireless one I am currently using so there is some sort of connection.

Also, in Device Manager, is there anything else not installed, other than the NIC?

There is an unknown device that comes and goes every few minutes, not sure what it is at all.

Try to delete everything you see under Network Adapters, when prompted to delete the driver, check the box. Now hit the button in the top of device manager that looks like a magnifying glass over the computer (search for plug and play devices) Repeat this find/delete process until it can not find any more drivers for the NIC (even wipes out WU drivers which I've had problems with for NICs in the past with GA boards)

I did that several times, and now the one it is on doesn't have the option to delete any more.

Once your at a point where there are no drivers to install, have an extracted copy of the realtek drivers on your desktop. Go back to Network Adapters, choose your adapter that has the yellow tick by it, go to the properties/drivers tab and Update Driver, browse computer, then point to the Win7 folder within the Realtek folder that's on your desktop.

I have tried pointing it to the extracted drivers before, but it always says the most updated drivers are already installed. But at this point like I said, it always re-installs a driver everytime I scan for new hardware.

Thanks a bunch for the help!

I think I finally got it to uninstall, but when I pointed it to the driver I get the following:

etherneterror.jpg

Which makes a whole lot of sense.

Well try doing a fresh OS install on the board you intend on using. You can swap boards with 7 but man, after doing it a few times I can image stuff might start breaking.

Do you plan on sticking with this mobo for awhile?

Well try doing a fresh OS install on the board you intend on using. You can swap boards with 7 but man, after doing it a few times I can image stuff might start breaking.

Do you plan on sticking with this mobo for awhile?

Yeah I do. And I figured that would be what I would have to do, I was just avoiding it like the plague until I had to do so. I am hoping to get a new ssd here in the next month or so, so I might just wait until then since I would have to do it again for that.

Thanks for the help!

why avoid it??

place win7 installer on a nice fast usb key..

then 25min later, all drivers, updates and office, antivirus and media playback re-install would be completed.. win7 = install is fast...

not like xp, 25 min just to format a drive... pfft..

why avoid it??

place win7 installer on a nice fast usb key..

then 25min later, all drivers, updates and office, antivirus and media playback re-install would be completed.. win7 = install is fast...

not like xp, 25 min just to format a drive... pfft..

Its not so much the install that bothers me as yes it is cake. It is dealing with all the applications that I don't feel like re-installing time and time again.

I have the USB wireless network card for the time being so its not the end of the world, just annoying.

That board gave me such a problem with the ethernet drivers as well. I went to to realtek site downloaded the drivers from there. After installing the OS I installed the drivers I DL'd and it worked. BTW when installing the OS I turned of the eternet card in the bios the turned it on afterwards and installed the drivers. Plus I think there is a bios update that fixes this issue. I think the early x58 boards all had this issue.

Try booting off of a Live Ubuntu or other Linux CD and see if Ethernet card works there.

Might be a bad NIC.

Back