ethernet port gone bad?

tomciob

Limp Gawd
hello,

My sister has a shuttle sn25p as do I. Until now we shared a dsl connection and everything was good. She recently moved and when i pluged her system into comcast with the same router everything didn't work. So naturally i call comcast and we try EVERYTHING, they eventually show up and check the connection w/ their laptop and it's all good. So i bring the system back home and it doesn't work on dsl. I have a hard time believing that 150 miles of transport in original packaging killed the ethernet port without damaging anything else.

The two lights in the system tray light up for sending stuff out, just that nothing seems to come back in. I tried bypassing the router setting network to dhcp.... nothing. I can't even log into my router with her system anymore.

What do yall suggest?

First try updating your mobos drivers (if youre using the integrated nic). Then, if all else fails you can buy an intel nic for 30 bucks. Intel seems to be pretty reputable when it comes to NICs so.

First I would try uninstalling the NIC drivers and reinstalling them, double check to see if its pulling an IP address from your router. If its not then its a pretty solid sign that its bad

Yeah I mean if you try another NIC and it works, they are so cheap nowadays, no point in wasting any more time.

I don't see the point of getting ~30$ NIC cards.

My -10$ Gigafast card (RTL8139 Based) Achieves the same speed.as an Intel Pro/100S

Ok, first things first. You get a link light, correct? Does the light for the port on the router light up as well? If so, you've got layers 1 & 2 good, so physicall connectivity shouldn't (although not 100%) be the problem.

Now, if you do an ipconfig, are you pulling an IP from the router? If you manually set the IP, can you access the router and the internet?

I have not read any posts but would like to comment that ports do go bad. It is very rare and I think we have maybe 3 ports out of 1000 go bad here, so what is that .003%

My ethernet port died as well as my Firewire port.

I had to buy a PCI NIC card - oh well.

getting a seperate ethernet card is not an option since my only expantion slot is pcie x1.

the ip on the computer is manually assigned, not dhcp.

the link lights come on the computer and the router, even the activity light blinks every now and then.

so everything is good but the connection doesn't work.

tomciob said:
getting a seperate ethernet card is not an option since my only expantion slot is pcie x1.

the ip on the computer is manually assigned, not dhcp.

the link lights come on the computer and the router, even the activity light blinks every now and then.

so everything is good but the connection doesn't work.

PCIe 1x nic cards exist

usb->ethernet dongle will also work.

check both the port and make sure the cable isnt bad as well.

try changing the cable

if the two lights on the nic are on or flashing then there should be a positive connection. try this since your using a router..

click start and go to run

type: Command

then a command prompt window should pop up.

type: ipconfig /release

note the space after ipconfig is IMPORTANT other than that it shouldnt work.

then all this network controller gobbldy gook should pop up in the window, ignore that, its just stating that the active network controller does not have an adress.

now type: ipconfig /renew

note same as before the space is essential.

now after a few minutes info about the nic should pop up and you should recieve a 192.168.1.XXX adress the tripple digits are standard and some routers will give you a 192.168.0.XXX adress, but in all depending on router settings you should just get a number in there. you dont want a 169 adress. this is a weird type of number that wont allow you to access basicly anything keep release renewing until you get a routable IP adress.

DragonNOA1 said:
I have not read any posts but would like to comment that ports do go bad. It is very rare and I think we have maybe 3 ports out of 1000 go bad here, so what is that .003%

That's 0.3% :)

But yeah, we have a buncha shuttles here at work for the salesmen's computers, and nearly a third of them all had failed NICs. That was a major hassle for me...

Back