Evaporator Block

gclg2000

Gawd
Hey, just about finally got the evaporator block done for my cascade i'm building. It started off with a solid chunk of copper measuring w/ a 1.625" diameter and 2" tall. This one is a little larger and has thicker 0.25" fins and gaps. The bottom piece is just a hair over 0.25" for the actuall base that will be making contact with the CPU. This is a very special piece a good ole' friend help me make. Same old gentleman that helped me make my custom H20 Blocks if any of you remember that thread. The white shell that will house the block with insulation is a 2" End cap PVC pipe piece. It willmake a nice air tight seal around the ZIF socket.

Enjoy!!!!

2_G.jpg

3_G.jpg

1_G.jpg

4_G.jpg

5_G.jpg

6_G.jpg

7_G.jpg

i will define "cascade" as this.

Its like 2 phase change cooler's linked together.

The evaporator of the 1st phase changer cools the condensor of the 2nd stage. When the gas goes to the evapporator on the 2nd stage (from the sub cooled condensor) it is already around -40 C and then it gets even colder when it evaporates (for the 2nd time). So now the phase changer is even cooler. For you see these basic single stage coolers can only get the condensed freon to room temp (on paper) and now they are condensing about 75 C lower than what a normal phase changer would.

Understand??

Yeah i've been to Jacksonville a few times. I used to work for a dude that owns some of the Cory Everson's and was involved with all those power houses over there. I've been to the Powerhouse on the beach over there. it was pretty nice.

These guys are right in my backyard:

SprayCool Technology is the process of using liquid evaporation, or phase change, to cool electronics. A fine mist of coolant is sprayed onto electronic hot spots and immediately evaporates. The vapor is then captured and the heat is rejected as it circulates through a heat exchanger. This results in an extremely efficient method of cooling.

http://www.spraycool.com/html/products/subsystem.html

MD

Got my new suction hose i'll be using on the unit's i'm building today. It's 5/16" teflon w/ steel brade around it. 3ft long w/ brass 3/8 flared fittings. Will fit right onto the CPU Block w/ no problems at all.

8_G.jpg

9_G.jpg

10_G.jpg

I understand that the PVC shroud will seal the whole setup processor and all. What will it be sealed to? Does it surround the ZIF or attach to it. What will you be using to seal it and what about the surface mount componants that get in the way.

All questions aside that is something sweet. The quality of it's build is obvious.

category_five said:
I understand that the PVC shroud will seal the whole setup processor and all. What will it be sealed to? Does it surround the ZIF or attach to it. What will you be using to seal it and what about the surface mount componants that get in the way.

All questions aside that is something sweet. The quality of it's build is obvious.

It will be kinda like an igloo if you can envision it that way. It does surround the ZIF, but the neoprene will be "built up" around the ZIF socket adn then the Copper block will rest on top of the CPU then the PVC "igloo" will enclose the copper block. When it presses down onto the neoprene it will create and "air tight" chamber to prevent condensation. The top piece of the PVC end cap will be slightly flat. On that flat surface will be a plastic square with a universal hole location that will line up with bolts that will back through the mother board. The plastic support piece should be an all-in-one piece that will fit s754/939 and s775. I should probally go ahead and make s478 holes too.

Hope this clears up the picture. I'll have pics up soon showing how i'll insulate it and exactly how it will work.

Thanks for the comments.

I decided to swap out the first steel braded hose with the compression fittings and teflon hose. It would have slowly leaked but worked....still leaked though.

The block also got finished today. if you can notice the side view of the block, the fin's are flattened on one side to allow the gas to flow up to the next level. Two suction holes are present in the top layer to go ahead and pull all of the gas out of the block and back to the suction of the compressor.

But anyways, i got this custom all steel construction w/ brazed 3/8" copper stubs on the end. Those stubs will be sweated right into the block and right into the suction line of the compressor. The capillary tube will be run inside the suction hose.

Pics below....enjoy!!!

12_G.jpg

13_G.jpg

14_G.jpg

15_G.jpg

16_G.jpg

17_G.jpg

That's after it's all been brazed together. Little to much acetylene on the torch but it still turned out well.

Back