EVE Online, Amazingly Deep

Majin

2[H]4U
So I found my self bored yesterday, I have played and beat every game worth playing that has come out recently. I have even gone back and started to replay lots of old games, hoping to find a new spark in them. But it’s dry and I really wanted something new. Homeworld 2 is a game I find my self playing every once in a while and I enjoy that kind of large scale action so I had space on the mind.
I noticed an add for EVE Online and thought I would give it a look. I liked what I saw and Dled the Client. I figured WTH it’s only $19 bucks for a month, if it gets boring I only spent a bit of cash and I don’t have to renew it.

This game is HUGE, I mean it’s complex like nothing I have ever seen before. I was freaked out at all the stuff I had to learn, but the tutorial was very helpful and covered all the important parts. Within 2 hours I had started to explore on my own, joined a Corporation and participated in my first battles. I am hooked, I only got in about 5 hours of play last night but I know I will be playing this far more.

Anyone who has played EVE knows how deep this game is, there are endless things to do and the majority of it take a very long time. Not to mention the game looks nice, really nice. The GFX are really nice and make the universe look real. The scale of this game is huge, the universe is made up of tens of thousands of solar systems. Each system is packed with planets, space stations, asteroid belts and tons of other things. You could spend a year just trying to get from 1 end of the universe to the other, and I mean in real time.

When I was reading how much ships and upgrades cost I was shocked. “How the hell am I going to get 20mil to buy that ship, not to mention the needed skills to use it/” But you can make money (ISK) really fast in this game, it just takes some risk. After I went out and fought a long side some of my fellow Corporation members, I ended up with tons of loot and over 700,000 ISK’s. So the possibilities are there to advance.

If you have ever played Astro Wars, or Homeworld, you will like this game. It’s like Astro Wars but 3d and real time like Homeworld. Over all I think I have found something that will eat up all these bored hours I can't fill.

So who else is an EVE Online player in these forums?

I am as well... Same name in Game :)

Yes it is a very good game, the players are the content.

i love the deepness in eve when you spend half the game just shooting rocks with lasers and going back and forth mining crap

Big Fat Duck said:
i love the deepness in eve when you spend half the game just shooting rocks with lasers and going back and forth mining crap

Really, I found letting other people do that, then webbing, podding and reprocessing all their shit is much more fun :D

YARR!!!!

I play EVE as well, my in game name is Kanthras.

I love it, even though I don't have all that much time to play it. (and I'm still in my newbie corp :p)

Big Fat Duck said:

Well mining is just one aspect. i was in your position a while back, my corporation was jst mining and i was the one stuck with hauling the rocks. it sucked big time to do that for hours on end.

so i quit that corp and joined one where shooting at others was what we did. we got involved in a war and that was hugely entertaining.

now i run slaves in my fast hauler. that game can get better you just have to find better things to do.

My name is OldPueblo and I am an EVE addict. :D If you don't like what you are doing, go join another corp or switch roles.

My in game name is Chen'la. Just doing level 3's in a battlecruiser atm, but hope to join a corporation someday.
Mining is fun if your doing other stuff imho. Can read a book, eat dinner and just do whatever while loading up the cargobay. (But have to watch out for hostiles every so often...lol)

I just quit WoW for EvE because it was very shallow. Raid same dungeon 45 times. Pick up epic item. Repeat.

EvE just has so many more things to do in it that it keeps many people hooked for years. I just recruited my friend into it ;)

If you would like a risk-free 14-day trial that does not require a credit card or any form of advance payment whatsoever, send me a PM with your e-mail address.

For those of you curious about the game in general, navigate over to http://www.eve-online.com

Their latest trailer, "No Other Destiny," showcases the big graphics upgrade that is scheduled in a month or so.

Oh, and one of my favorite things about the game... it all happens on one cluster. You are playing with people all around the world and don't have to put up with re-rolling your characters or paying expensive transfer fees as you would in WoW to play with friends.

*** And to correct the original poster, the game costs $15/month rather than $20. The first month you pay $20 because you are paying $5 for the software. Ah, kind of beats paying $40 for WoW disks doesn't it?

Because of this thread I have to try this now. Already made an account and trial key as well as downloading the software. If I get hooked on another mmo I shall curse you. :p

i was just gonna download the software now the site is down arrrghhhhh. sounds like an interesting game. i was reading through the forums section to learn what i can.

I keep finding more and more to this game.
I joined a corp that is really making the game more enjoyable.
Mining can be enjoyable when you have your whole corp strip mining a belt. It's like a laser light show. EVE is a great game, I am kicking my self that I didn't find out about it before now.

I just did a fight missions, I love how the battles actually last a while and each weapon serves its own purpose. Hit the ship's shield with EMG damage weapons, hit the armor with explosive damage, and you're good =)

It's frightfully expensive to play, but let me assure you once I've got some extra cash I'm investing in a year subscription. I love that game.

This game has interested me for quite some time, I would like to learn more about it. Is there a PDF or something like a beginers playing guide that i could DL, not the online one, as i am not able to spend that much time at work online :) but part of my job involves watching equipment work, so i could print out something and read it, and i would like to know more about EVE, before i commit to something. Thanks

There is a 14 day trial, PM any of us in EVE with an e-mail and we can send a buddy key your way. Other then that, here are some articles though some are scans and will be ink heavy print-wise:

http://www.mmodig.com/?p=155
http://www.eve-online.com/files/pcgamer_eve.pdf
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/issue/25/3
http://www.ogrank.com/content/view/170/45/
http://static.circa1984.com/the-big-scam.html (<--- funny read)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EVE_Online
http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/02/26/eve_column_mckenna/

Volume said:
I just did a fight missions, I love how the battles actually last a while and each weapon serves its own purpose. Hit the ship's shield with EMG damage weapons, hit the armor with explosive damage, and you're good =)

I was doing some level 1 missions. The Pirates came in droves of 5 at a time. By the time I won the mission 30 mins had past. I love missions that take a long time. I was using my Kestrel (Misssile Frigate) and had a different type of standard missile in each launcher.
Fire off the missile that takes apart the shields, then the missile that kills armor and the last 2 (if needed) to smoke the rest of his ship. Most times I would just fire all 4 at once and watch the targets go up in a flash of victory.

It's also nice to be able to target multiple targets at once and just fire and forget.

Majin, that sounds very similar to the mission I did, perhaps the same one?

And for those who have been PM'ing me for their 14-day trials, please be sure to give me your e-mail address in the PM. I forgot to state that before but the post has been edited.

Penny arcade has a link to get the 14 day trial code emailed to you, thats what i did :)

I guess I'll have to give this game another chance. Last time just wasn't interested in it (was still 100% WoW addicted).

is there a [H] Corp?

I am going to give this game a try (thanks to Volume) and would love to join an [H] Corp :D

You don't ever leave your ship in this game, do you? Isn't kind of boring to be staring into empty space all the time?

i know a person whos completely addicted to this game. like hopelessly addicted....

btw you can spend (as in real cash) as much as a ferrari on some of those ships. what were they called..... cant remember, but there were only 2 of them ever, cost several thousands of real money to get, and he had his blown up. poor guy.

Greenwit said:
You don't ever leave your ship in this game, do you? Isn't kind of boring to be staring into empty space all the time?

As opposed to staring at trees and rocks or walls in a corridoor? Its not like that. Watch a couple videos to get the idea.

sorry, i found eve to be amazingly boring.. to each his own i guess

curse you op for mentioning this game lol. i like it. im quitting city of lagfest for a little while been playing that alot lately.

im currently using as trial period....does anyone know if can just get a game card and sign up and start playing and keep my same character? or do i need to go and get the game so i have another cd key.

knothead34 said:
curse you op for mentioning this game lol. i like it. im quitting city of lagfest for a little while been playing that alot lately.

im currently using as trial period....does anyone know if can just get a game card and sign up and start playing and keep my same character? or do i need to go and get the game so i have another cd key.

If you login to your account at www.eve-online.com you can change your subscription method to use a gamecard time code. Whether or not you can do that for your first payment, I don't know. Login there and see what options you have.

You can convert your trial account dirrectly into a full account without skipping a beat.

The game has SO much depth its amazing.

The game also doesn't follow MMO convention with its race, class, and level systems.
There is NEVER a reason to re-roll a character thats over a month old.
There are NO NPC's that will buy trash from you for set prices, the market is completely player run. Think WoW Auction house across a universe.

Single Server for everyone, with player run corps that control teritory, space, and space stations-

If you want to have a feeling for this game think Privateer + MMORPG.

Im currently running L2 missions in my AC Rupture. Training up my tackling skills in preperation for the move to the big leagues and a 0.0 spec corp.
DyreMaker. ExCo (n00b Empire space feeder corp for ArsTechnica's 0.0 corp)

EDIT: On cost- This should be the cheapest full feature MMO you will find FYI. There is no need to spend real world money on ISK (in game credits) You get the first 14 days free, you pay $5 for the software (one time fee) and then its just $15/m.

The focus of EvE (at least for alot of people) is not 'pimping my toon' as in WoW where end game basically means 'try to get the same set of gear everyone else has'. The focus of EvE is, well- whatever you want it to be.
You want to be a pirate? Go ahead
Want to become an idustialist or a trader or a miner or a ship builder? Sure!
Want to run an Alliance of 15 corporations with 100 members each and wage war across 0.0 space for territory, isk, and fame? DO IT!

Its literally a whole universe sandbox- The point is do what you want!

The other awesome feature is true open PVP with real death peanlities.
Your ship gets blown up, guess what ITS BLOWN UP. Along with all the gear attached to it and all the loot in the cargo hold. REAL penalities for death give a sense of excitment you just can't get in the carebare world of WoW Battlegrounds and Instance running.

Don't get me wrong, WoW is an amazing game and probably one of the best Fantasy MMO's ever, and will probably be the standard that the Genre is jugded by for decades to come- But when you get sick of the 12 year olds and the relativly thin end game content, come check out EvE.

You are talking to a new EVE Online Billionaire.
Thats right Billion, 1 plus 9 zeros. :)
(Saying like Dr. Evil) I now have 1,000,000,000 ISK :eek:

I have a cousin who use to play EVE all the time, well he has a family now and just up and left his account. I was talking to him today and he said he would give me all the money he had in the game. He opened up his account again and converted everything he owned to ISKs. In the end he had over 1 billion dollars. He just Transfered 1 billion ISK to my account.
FREE OF CHARGE. He gave me 1 billion just cause I'm his favorite cousin. Man my Corp is lucky to have me. :cool:

Majin said:
You are talking to a new EVE Online Billionaire.
Thats right Billion, 1 plus 9 zeros. :)
(Saying like Dr. Evil) I now have 1,000,000,000 ISK :eek:

I have a cousin who use to play EVE all the time, well he has a family now and just up and left his account. I was talking to him today and he said he would give me all the money he had in the game. He opened up his account again and converted everything he owned to ISKs. In the end he had over 1 billion dollars. He just Transfered 1 billion ISK to my account.
FREE OF CHARGE. He gave me 1 billion just cause I'm his favorite cousin. Man my Corp is lucky to have me. :cool:
That's cool. My friend gave me 5 million ISK, and that helped me get through the boring Tutorial missions nice and quick. Once you get to the encounter Level1 missions, the game picks up in pace and fun. :cool:

Majin you lucky bastard, I'd go easy. You can lose a billion pretty quickly if you buy all top dollar stuff and get ganked often thinking "I can just buy new ones." I remember spending a ton of money on the best possible guns for my first cruiser, only to lose the ship four days later to a pirate. The guns all together actually cost more then the ship did. :p I learned a valuable lesson that day, and now I buy stuff thats above average but still bang for buck.

And a starting donation never hurts. I had one from a friend and it was enough to pickup some extra skills and get into a decent ship. Made EVE really pickup once you get past that first hump.

Those of you that are new (or maybe old) go grab these two programs. Makes skill planning and ship fitting much easier.

EVEMon (tool for planning your skill paths for items and ships)
http://evemon.evercrest.com/

QuickFit (import your skills from EVEMon and try out different ships/equipment offline)
http://www.elegance-corp.net/quickfit/

Some helpful links:

Database for ship comparisons: http://essdb.milair.net/essdb.php
Checkout the different char options before you go make one: http://wium.dk/nw/evetool/
Useful EVE info: http://eve.grismar.net/wiki/wikka.php?wakka=WikiHome
Maps of all EVE regions (print 'em for the wall!): http://www.ombeve.co.uk/

i cant find the game cards anywhere. i prefer to pay that way. i cant find the game either at least at a store. the game is kinda old. of course there is no phone tech support either. im in houston can anyone help? lol. i dont have a credit card or i would do it that way.

my sis was kind enough to let me use her credit card im good to go now. anyone mind letting me join there corp until everyone decides if there is gonna be a hardcop corp?

Joining a corp is pretty pointless until you play the game for yourself the first week or so.

Back