EVE Online, What can you tell me?

sdotcarter

Limp Gawd
I've been doing some lite browsing for EVE, looking for it at my local BB or Gamestop if I see it.

I'm wanting a MMO that I don't have to dedicate long nights to in order to "gear" and explore. I do like playing with guilds alot more instead of soloing. (Prot/Holy Pally, have to bubblehearth against any solid dps class) What I like about EVE is how large the universe looks to be. The intro video on their site almost dragged me in, but now I'm looking for real peoples views on the game as a whole.

I'm particular about my games, I don't like spending money on not getting my worth out of it. Here's my last year or so of gaming: both Crysis games, Assassins Creed. Then I re-upped the WoW, leveled my pally to 80, got the Uldy gear then bounced. Finished Fallout 3 twice, going to be going a 3rd time with a different play style character (Evil, Stealth, Melee). Purchased a Xbox controller for NBA2K10 and Assassins Creed II. Now that I'm done with the above does EVE have the potential to keep me busy until SC:II is released or should I just get Far Cry 2?

I know about the 14day trial, Ill try it based on I hear here. Is the game going to let my little NewB frigate get eaten up by some elite players galactica-deathstar-enterprise super battle behemoth? Do they protect the new players in starter zones so they dont get crushed by the Borg in some Deep Space 9?

Any of you [H] guys have a nice 'crew' I can join with, i don't wanna die in space mommy.

Any of you know where I can purchase this at a store? Gamestop, BB, Walmart and Target don't have it in my area. (S. East MA)

Last edited:
This may be a good resource for you. It seems we have several EVE players here. http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1465333

Edit:
Hmm, some how my opinion on the game did not post.

Short of it, I think it's a fun game, I played for about a year after I got into a good corporation (guild). I just have a problem paying a monthly fee to play a game anymore.

Best game ever IMO, been playing for 3+ years and am not slightly bored.

Get into a corp. PVP is the most fun thing ever, but some people aren't into dieing in space :)

I've been doing some lite browsing for EVE, looking for it at my local BB or Gamestop if I see it.

I'm wanting a MMO that I don't have to dedicate long nights to in order to "gear" and explore. I do like playing with guilds alot more instead of soloing. (Prot/Holy Pally, have to bubblehearth against any solid dps class) What I like about EVE is how large the universe looks to be. The intro video on their site almost dragged me in, but now I'm looking for real peoples views on the game as a whole.

I'm particular about my games, I don't like spending money on not getting my worth out of it. Here's my last year or so of gaming: both Crysis games, Assassins Creed. Then I re-upped the WoW, leveled my pally to 80, got the Uldy gear then bounced. Finished Fallout 3 twice, going to be going a 3rd time with a different play style character (Evil, Stealth, Melee). Purchased a Xbox controller for NBA2K10 and Assassins Creed II. Now that I'm done with the above does EVE have the potential to keep me busy until SC:II is released or should I just get Far Cry 2?

I know about the 14day trial, Ill try it based on I hear here. Is the game going to let my little NewB frigate get eaten up by some elite players galactica-deathstar-enterprise super battle behemoth? Do they protect the new players in starter zones so they dont get crushed by the Borg in some Deep Space 9?

Any of you [H] guys have a nice 'crew' I can join with, i don't wanna die in space mommy.

Any of you know where I can purchase this at a store? Gamestop, BB, Walmart and Target don't have it in my area. (S. East MA)

I think there is another thread on eve and the new update that came out recently that you can browse thru if you want. Eve has a lot of content but its nothing like WoW. I'll answer your questions here tho. Eve is basically divided into three types of zones, High sec, low sec and null sec. High sec are also known as empire space, basically the security rating of the system is .5 and higher. In these systems there are concord(aka police) so if someone shoots you here concord will blow them up, a few exceptions to this rules. Low sec is .4 to .1 security rating, there are turrets at gates(entry points in and out of system), however they have limited range and aren't really that powerful, pirates corps typically roam these area. Null sec is security rating of 0.0. These areas are typically claim and fought for by player corporation and alliances. As a new player you are unlikely to be venturing out beyond high sec anyway although be careful that you don't wander into a low sec system accidentally. In high sec you are fairly safe. The thing is eve requires a lot of patience in almost everything you do, there really isn't a whole lot of things that give instant gratification. As far as buying the game, I heard they got retail boxes now but the trial can be activated without a credit card and you can download it from their site. You can also buy it from Steam now.

I just started the trial last night and had a blast. I have only played about 4 hours but I am quite impressed.

I do have two small problems/issues though. How do I set my ship to auto target someone? I know about target back but that isnt the same thing. It is quite frustrating trying to target someone that is flying circles around you and you have to click on that tiny little cross. Also, how do I make the font larger? I found a place in the settings to change it from 10 to 12 but it didnt change.

Anyway, those are the only two things so far that I dislike but I am sure it is just me being a nub.

I just started the trial last night and had a blast. I have only played about 4 hours but I am quite impressed.

I do have two small problems/issues though. How do I set my ship to auto target someone? I know about target back but that isnt the same thing. It is quite frustrating trying to target someone that is flying circles around you and you have to click on that tiny little cross. Also, how do I make the font larger? I found a place in the settings to change it from 10 to 12 but it didnt change?

Anyway, those are the only two things so far that I dislike but I am sure it is just me being a nub.

Use the overview to target. I think ctrl click is a shorcut to target an enemy.

I do have two small problems/issues though. How do I set my ship to auto target someone? I know about target back but that isnt the same thing. It is quite frustrating trying to target someone that is flying circles around you and you have to click on that tiny little cross. Also, how do I make the font larger? I found a place in the settings to change it from 10 to 12 but it didnt change.

yea what the other guy said use the overview and ctrl click. hmm I've always found the fonts to be too big lol. They should adjust when you click from 10 to 12 tho, never came across that not working.

I will try that tonight. What resolutions are you both running at? I am running 19x12 on a 28inch monitor. Maybe that is my "issue" :)

Whats the price when you die?

typically its your ship and some of the mods blow up. If its a fight you're side wins then you can go collect whatever mods survived and loot the losing sides stuff also. So yes if you decided to blow all your money on a super pimp mobile and get it blown up most of it is more than likely gone.

I will try that tonight. What resolutions are you both running at? I am running 19x12 on a 28inch monitor. Maybe that is my "issue" :)

Thats almost the same as mine, 26" 19x12. What hardware do you have and hows the game run/look?

Can you own more then one ship? One to explore, one to fight, and one for pimpmyspacemobile?

i7 920 @ 3.6
6gb DDR3 @ 1600
5850 @ stock

edit - Oh, and the game looks and runs excellent. Not one hiccup or slowdown yet.

i7 920 @ 3.6
6gb DDR3 @ 1600
5850 @ stock

edit - Oh, and the game looks and runs excellent. Not one hiccup or slowdown yet.

oh yea I'm going to have the same setup once those 5850 drops down to a somewhat more reasonable price, glad to hear it runs Eve well.

Yeah I was lucky in that I bought it the day they came out for the original msrp from newegg :). And yes, it runs the game beautifully. Granted, I have not been in any large fleet battles since i have only played for 4 hours, but I am sure it could get the job done ;)

Now what race/heritage do you guys play? Can i pick any race/haritage and still play with other [H]'ers if they are a different race?

That's a good question. I went with the ?Calliente? I believe is what they are called. They seemed like the most "noble" race to choose from.

edit - Thanks kledar586, it is Gallente.

Last edited:
How do I set my ship to auto target someone?Also, how do I make the font larger?
1. Turn off target back. Use the overview, ctrl+left-click to lock target.
2. There are diff font settings. It might be in the menu, or it might be in the individual windows (like the chat window, there are icons for "A+" and "A-" in the top left.

Can you own more then one ship? One to explore, one to fight, and one for pimpmyspacemobile?

I have 26 ships. Some fast frigates for pvp, a destroyer for salvaging, some battlecruisers for missions and pvp, a cargo ship, a shuttle, EWAR. Will be receiving delivery of my new battleship within a week from my supplier.

Now what race/heritage do you guys play? Can i pick any race/haritage and still play with other [H]'ers if they are a different race?

the Race/heritage thing kinda doesn't matter if you don't RP and very few ppl RP anyway. So even if you pick Gallente, you can choose to train skills to fly Amarr/Caldari/Minmatar. Generally speaking Caldari ships are popular for PVE and not so much for PVP. And yea you guys can all go hang out regardless of what race you play, really doesn't matter that much.

I played EVE online since 2006, I actually just quit on January 3rd, so 2 days ago.
edit: I'll point out, most of my review is the PVP side of EVE, since I find the PVE side to be mind numbing.

Pros:
-EVE has pretty graphics. When your ship explodes it looks pretty cool. Planets and moons look cool.
-EVE has some of the most adrenaline packed PVP I've ever experienced in a competitive video game. When you fight a battle in EVE, you put your ship on the line. Ship = money and money = time.
-Very volatile politics, similar to politics you see in RL. The universe is for the most part, formed by the community.

Cons:
-Extreme server lag problems that have been around since day 1, and cant possibly be fixed. 500 player vs 500 player battles tend to do that to a server. I'm talking 1-2 minute lag, and/or complete mass disconnect for everybody involved.
-Those fun battles I mentioned? They are few and far between. You may play 3 solid days of just staring at space waiting for a fair fight to come your way before it actually does. Then the fight lasts 10-15 minutes and you're back to waiting.
-Ship losses in EVE are felt. When you lose a ship, you lose millions, or in some cases billions of ISK. ISK is the currency in EVE and the only real way for a new player to earn ISK is spend hours upon hours grinding, or purchase it with real money.

As you can see this is a reletively unbias review. I am not trying to encoures or discourage you from playing EVE. For anybody curious of my 'credentials' before I get flamed I would just like to point out I was a member of ATLAS which does account for why I experienced such server lag issues. If you don't know what ATLAS is you need not concern yourself :)

re: font settings

You can change the font size in the chat windows and in the right-click context menus. For everything else, I think you're SOL.

Going in on the 14 day trial. I asked above but ill ask again, do you guys know if I can purchase the game witha game card or do i need to use a cc?

EDIT: It has multiple ways to activate, time cards even work. Going to go see if BB Has any and ill just purchase the game and hope its nice.

you can purchase game time cards online via paypal or something, I'm not sure I've ever seen them at a store

I played EVE online since 2006, I actually just quit on January 3rd, so 2 days ago.
edit: I'll point out, most of my review is the PVP side of EVE, since I find the PVE side to be mind numbing.

Pros:
-EVE has pretty graphics. When your ship explodes it looks pretty cool. Planets and moons look cool.
-EVE has some of the most adrenaline packed PVP I've ever experienced in a competitive video game. When you fight a battle in EVE, you put your ship on the line. Ship = money and money = time.
-Very volatile politics, similar to politics you see in RL. The universe is for the most part, formed by the community.

Cons:
-Extreme server lag problems that have been around since day 1, and cant possibly be fixed. 500 player vs 500 player battles tend to do that to a server. I'm talking 1-2 minute lag, and/or complete mass disconnect for everybody involved.
-Those fun battles I mentioned? They are few and far between. You may play 3 solid days of just staring at space waiting for a fair fight to come your way before it actually does. Then the fight lasts 10-15 minutes and you're back to waiting.
-Ship losses in EVE are felt. When you lose a ship, you lose millions, or in some cases billions of ISK. ISK is the currency in EVE and the only real way for a new player to earn ISK is spend hours upon hours grinding, or purchase it with real money.

As you can see this is a reletively unbias review. I am not trying to encoures or discourage you from playing EVE. For anybody curious of my 'credentials' before I get flamed I would just like to point out I was a member of ATLAS which does account for why I experienced such server lag issues. If you don't know what ATLAS is you need not concern yourself :)

btw what he said is pretty much true tho, the massive fleet battles are no where near "fun". you lag out or you get primary and your SOL. The fun PVP is generally talking small gang vs small gang. but unfortunately the blob mentality is strong so some people wont fight unless they have overwhelming number on their side.hence the wait for a good fight.

Pros:

Cons:

i agree also. i played for 2 years. you can lose big but the old eve saying goes dont fly what you cant afford to lose. 0.0 space can be fun with a big corp / alliance but i would like to add logistics is a nightmare to get stuff out there in case you need replacement parts /mods /ships. if anything out there is on the market its always jacked up in price. no one in there right mind flys a freighter out there in fear of gate camps.

EVE is one of the most boring and poorly-designed games ever made... The combat system is horrible and boring. It is easy to get burned out on.

It can still be a lot of fun. Why? Because the ability to fuck with people is enormous. Losses in EVE are real, permanent losses and they also represent the loss of real world money. You can really bring your enemies to their knees.

The game also has a very steep learning curve and is very complicated, so if you are smarter than the average player you will gain quite the advantage.

And while large alliances are disturbingly powerful, a single player can also do a lot on their own. When I enter local most carebears immediately dock, log, or safespot and cloak(or some combination of these actions). Whenever someone mentions my name they shudder in fear.

In EVE there is no "safe," ever.

Also EVE is probably one of the best supported games ever. CCP is constantly trying to improve the game in many ways, and there are constant updates. A lot of them in the past 2-3 years have been aimed at making combat less likely to occur, though.

Your character also advances in real time whether you play or not so there really isn't any grinding.

It would really be helpful to just keep all the EVE discussion in the same thread:

The Next Chapter of Eve: Dominion

I am gonna do my part and post my reply to what aciddrink wrote in the above thread.

I disagree. That thread sucks and it is full of carebears talking about their missions. That is the last thing that a prospective player needs to read.

Last edited:
I've always been slightly interested in Eve...

Was surprised when this odd redneck fellow came in to a computer shop I was working at with a broken LCD on his old HP laptop, he said he needed it fixed so he could get back to playing Eve... and I was like... you mean... that MMO? and he was like YEA IT'S AWESOME and went on and on about it. I was honestly amazed at the stuff he knew about it. He broke the laptop at his worksite. I guess you can't judge people. I figured Eve was the true geek's MMO.

And regardless, I still wanna try it out at some point... but school is starting up again and probably not the best time...

I've always been slightly interested in Eve...

Was surprised when this odd redneck fellow came in to a computer shop I was working at with a broken LCD on his old HP laptop, he said he needed it fixed so he could get back to playing Eve... and I was like... you mean... that MMO? and he was like YEA IT'S AWESOME and went on and on about it. I was honestly amazed at the stuff he knew about it. He broke the laptop at his worksite. I guess you can't judge people. I figured Eve was the true geek's MMO.

And regardless, I still wanna try it out at some point... but school is starting up again and probably not the best time...

it dose not need big amount of time, you can train offline, and play 1h per day
i started 1.5 years ago

only bad thing it that you will never catch older players :(

it dose not need big amount of time, you can train offline, and play 1h per day
i started 1.5 years ago

only bad thing it that you will never catch older players :(

catch how? in terms of SP? probably, but you can specialize to start out so it won't be a big deal. All you need to be effective is to be able to fly a frig and fit a warp disruptor, it only gets more and more effective from there. Also, plenty of older players either do not use implants to speed up training, or they take breaks, or they have no idea how to skill their characters and are missing so many vital skills.

If you are smart there is no reason why a relatively new player can not catch and kill pilots that have been playing many years. When I first started out in a frig or cruiser I would often be able to take on 1 or more ships of similar or bigger size belonging to "experienced" pilots and win. The thing about EVE is that it is not forgiving to stupid people and that you need to pick your fights and never fight on anyone else's terms, always work to your strengths etc...

Everytime I read this stuff I want to try it again. I bought it some 5 years ago or longer. I just had trouble figuring things out. I felt alone, like I was just playing a single player game and farming asteroids. Like there was nothing to do. Does this game give you "quests"? I hear people talk about missions, do they send you to some place and have you accomplish tasks for a reward?

Everytime I read this stuff I want to try it again. I bought it some 5 years ago or longer. I just had trouble figuring things out. I felt alone, like I was just playing a single player game and farming asteroids. Like there was nothing to do. Does this game give you "quests"? I hear people talk about missions, do they send you to some place and have you accomplish tasks for a reward?

lol I could talk about the missions but Devnull will probably flame me for encouraging carebears :p

The key is to find a group of people that share your interests in the game. Whether it be Mining/Trading/Missioning (Carebearing), Pirating, Roleplaying (Factional warfare), Small to Large scale alliance warfare, Spinning in station... etc.

catch how? in terms of SP? probably, but you can specialize to start out so it won't be a big deal. All you need to be effective is to be able to fly a frig and fit a warp disruptor, it only gets more and more effective from there. Also, plenty of older players either do not use implants to speed up training, or they take breaks, or they have no idea how to skill their characters and are missing so many vital skills.

If you are smart there is no reason why a relatively new player can not catch and kill pilots that have been playing many years. When I first started out in a frig or cruiser I would often be able to take on 1 or more ships of similar or bigger size belonging to "experienced" pilots and win. The thing about EVE is that it is not forgiving to stupid people and that you need to pick your fights and never fight on anyone else's terms, always work to your strengths etc...

problem for me was that i could not find good Corporation
actually i love PvP games, but strong PvP corps need experienced players
so i started gathering ISK (made about 3 billions in 2 month) got CNR and doing missions, but without team play and PvP EVE is boring

The key is to find a group of people that share your interests in the game. Whether it be Mining/Trading/Missioning (Carebearing), Pirating, Roleplaying (Factional warfare), Small to Large scale alliance warfare, Spinning in station... etc.

Why are missions called carebear? I can only imagine becuase "A real man PVP's", okay great you have an awesome epeen, but at level 1, im not going to go pvp...

Back