EVGA 1080 acx 3.0 sc gtx clock issue?

Xenozx

2[H]4U
OK, so I had a EVGA 1080 FE, and was waiting on a ACX 3.0 to come in the mail, which happened on saturday.

I shut my PC down, swapped cards, powered back up, and was surprised it didnt ask me to reinstall drivers. I went into windows all was well. My big concern was that MSI afterburner applied my overclock settings to the new card, even though its supose to have different stock clocks. well i went into GPU-Z and the stock clocks on my EVGA SC card were exactly the same as the FE.

I uninstalled MSI afterburner, and reinstalled the newest nvidia drivers. with just the drivers installed went into GPU-Z and still shows the same clocks as a stock FE card. 1607.

I reinstalled afterburner, and overclocked to +210 core, and all is well, boosting into the 2050+ range runs like a dream.

should i be concerned about not seeing the factory overclocked settings. shouldnt it be built into the card, or is it like the MSI where you gotta download an app for those speeds to take effect?

I think the eVGA ACX3 and SC 1080's are built on the same PCB (reference) as the FE. So makes sense windows and afterburner just basically saw the same GPU in it and applied settings as though not much had changed.

should i be concerned about not seeing the factory overclocked settings. shouldnt it be built into the card, or is it like the MSI where you gotta download an app for those speeds to take effect?

The BIOS is what sets the clocks...so you should be seeing the correct clocks without having to download anything. I'm not familiar with the cards but are the clocks advertised differently ?
maybe they are both clocked the same

yea im looking to sell it or return it to amazon by the 7th lol. pm me if your looking to buy it I have it up for sale on amazon but they take 60 in fees so I'd rather sell without that

ok im not worried since I can over clock it manually anyway. just afraid if I have +210 core set then one day it decides to clock to where It should be and then is like +300 and causes a problem

Viewed the EVGA website to make sure. Just to point out, ACX 3.0 is the cooler style...not a new BIOS/Board. If it were an ACX 3.0 SC or something of the sort, the clocks should be higher. All you traded was the cooler, but have the same board.

EDIT:....well just re-read your title...hah SC...so yea it should have higher stock clocks. Make sure you do have the SC version and not just ACX 3.0 cooler version.

Since the SC version is $30 more..and it was what you ordered and received something different, I would mention something to EVGA.

Good point. Make sure you got the SC for sure. The non SC will have the same clocks as the FE.

I do have the SC it lights up on the side of the card SC.

im thinking maybe cause i had a reference 1080 in my PC before, its remembering that cards stuff?

if not, then EVGA putting out SC cards with non SC bioses or what ever. really weird, im gonna swap it into my spare PC today or tomorrow see if it reads right or not.

funny story, i was playing with my overclock, and i got a lock up. I had to reboot the PC, and when it came to the windows login screen i could see it was like 640x480 instead of my normal resolution. I then booted into windows and the full resolution kicked in. when i checked afterburner, my overclock settings were gone, and when i pulled up GPU-Z the increased clocks for the SC version were there. So instead of +210 core, i can only do +100 now lol, cause +210 on the already overclocked SC speeds was way too high. boo.

Please do a cleanup following captaindiptoad's advice. I don't know why anyone thinks it's a good idea to just physically swap cards without properly uninstalling the old one, first. It may seem like it's performing okay to you, but trust us that your shiny new card is screaming silently on the inside.

Back