eVGA 7800GT Artic Cooler?

Moderman

Limp Gawd
Ok the stock cooling on my eVGA 7800GT just aint cuttin it and, Oc'ing isn't that great. So I thought I should purchase and Artic Cooler, or maybe you all can reccomend me one better. Well im leaning more towards an Artic Cooler, But I dont know which one to get.

Thanks Moderman

Edit: I just recently looked and found this one that said supports 7800 series

http://arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=40

But in fine print it says
Rev.2: not compatible to 7800 series

Moderman said:
Ok the stock cooling on my eVGA 7800GT just aint cuttin it and, Oc'ing isn't that great. So I thought I should purchase and Artic Cooler, or maybe you all can reccomend me one better. Well im leaning more towards an Artic Cooler, But I dont know which one to get.

Thanks Moderman

I have that cooler installed on my eVGA 7800GT (N517) and it is just fine.

Albert

What kind of case temps are you getting? And do you know if your card had the copper heatsink? My OC was never hindered by the stock hsf on my N516. I would reccomend going with the aftermarket cooling solution, the silencer or zalman solution, and then upping the voltage if you are not satisfied with your o/c.

Moderman said:

Thanks Moderman

Thats the REV. 3 cooler you're looking at, they're just making you aware that the older REV. 2 doesn't support the 7xxx series.

The new Accelero from arctic cooling could be an option as well as VF700-CU or soon to be released VF900

For those of you that already have the rev. 3 how much quieter then stock is it?

The fans on my 7800GT are really loud. I need something that cools just as well or better, and is much more quiet.

I am running 2 Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5s in SLI. They are silent, compared to the vacuum cleaner sound which was my stock cooling. Temperatures are a little better, (~6C drop on both cards) nothing spectacular, but I did slop a bit too much AS5 on there. As long as it's silent and cool I'm happy :)

silencers-2.jpg

Id vote for the Thermalright V1 Ultra, or wait a week for the AC Accelero...the two coolers seem to drops temps 5-8 degrees cooler than the AC silencers

ChronicTrees said:
What kind of case temps are you getting? And do you know if your card had the copper heatsink? My OC was never hindered by the stock hsf on my N516. I would reccomend going with the aftermarket cooling solution, the silencer or zalman solution, and then upping the voltage if you are not satisfied with your o/c.

My case temp is actually kinda high I think also the heat sink isn't copper and card temp idle is ok and load is fine, but when I install it will it avoid my warnnty cause I cant afford to F up my card.

http://putfile.com/pic.php?pic=2/4421470038.jpg&s=x11

FRONT-

INSIDE VIEW-

I've heard from numerous people that EVGA's warranty allows you to use aftermarket cooling. However, I can't confirm that this is true because i've never personally had to RMA an EVGA card.

ChronicTrees said:
I've heard from numerous people that EVGA's warranty allows you to use aftermarket cooling. However, I can't confirm that this is true because i've never personally had to RMA an EVGA card.

Yeah, your warranty is not void even if you're using aftermarket cooling. That is provided that you didn't fuck up the card BECAUSE of the aftermarket cooling (i.e. drove a screwdriver through the card while installing the aftermarket cooling)

quadnad said:
Yeah, your warranty is not void even if you're using aftermarket cooling. That is provided that you didn't fuck up the card BECAUSE of the aftermarket cooling (i.e. drove a screwdriver through the card while installing the aftermarket cooling)
Warranty covers everything except damage or modifications to the actual PCB. That's why I'm using EVGA!

Zinn said:
Warranty covers everything except damage or modifications to the actual PCB. That's why I'm using EVGA!

same here....even if you never have to RMA, the piece of mind is priceless.

So between the NVSilencer, Accelero X1, and the Zalman ones, which one is the "best" for my eVGA 7800GT to quiet down that stupid stock fan?

2k2_zx2 said:
So between the NVSilencer, Accelero X1, and the Zalman ones, which one is the "best" for my eVGA 7800GT to quiet down that stupid stock fan?

Well I've used both the silencer and zalman on my 6800gt, and the zalman gave me better temps overall. Both are extremely easy to install, and you'll hear people recommending either one. For you, I'd say the Zalman as you've got the option right out of the box to run the fan at lower voltages.

2k2_zx2 said:

If your case has good airflow I would get the zalman, if not I would get the Silencer to vent the air outside.

Wow thats kinda amazing that eVGA will refund your card if you fuck it up so I think ill go with the Silencer. I think Ill order one from newegg. :)

PS: this is kinda off subject but my pc has been getting a little lag on HL2, but it goes away after 5 minutes is that natural or...is it bad. also every day I defrag virus scan adware scan and use spybot S&D. Specs in sig

Thanks

Back