EVGA 8800 ULTRA dying?

ark1

n00b
I have an almost two years old EVGA 8800 ULTRA and I suspect it might be dying on me.

It started with freezing couple days ago under Vista when playing video games (L4D and T2). The freezing would be preceded by red pixelations on the screen. Alt+Ctr+Del would get me back into the desktop and I could continue working for sometime but the freezing could or not come back there as well.

The problems started after I installed FSX so I thought the installation have corrupted something. After reinstalling steam games, the problem would persist and it got worst as the freezing is now in FSX as well and I may get random reboots. Even after a reboot, my desktop may start freezing randomly with visible pixelation.

I have already tested my memory which is fine. I have run a Windows XP installation from another HD which indicates me the OS and HD are fine. I had some trouble with my motherboard about 3 weeks ago where my comp would not start but I was able to fix that by resetting a jumper and pulling out the batter for a few seconds from my motherboard.

Motherboard: P5K-E asus
CPU: Q6600
Video Card: EVGA 8800 Ultra
RAM: 4X1 Crucial Balistix
PSU: Corsair 620

I don't think it is my PSU and the temperature on the CPU is fine. I have tried the latest nvidia drivers as well. Is there anything I can do to test if it is a video card issue before I send it for RMA? Unfortunately I do not have a spare video card to test.

Try cleaning out the Ultra's fan might be dirty causing overheating, drop the clocks if you overclocking the hell out of it. What temps you seeing on the GPU while playing games ? Else EVGA have great warranty and RMA so give that a go, get yourself a cheap card to replace it while it's away.

my evga crapped out on me too same age as yours mine is almost years, EVGA has great service and customer support contact russianhaxor here he'll help you out for sure, but beware I got DOA on my first card and had to RMA it too lucky me their warehouse was 20 mins away from my house so I generally have 3 days turn around time

It's either dirty (dust in the fan) or it's just another example of the solder issues with nVIDIA GPUs.

Someone did fix his card by preheating an over to 350F and placing the card on a baking sheet for 8-10mins.

I think he used rolled up aluminum to hold the card up so it did not make contact with the baking sheet.

This melted the solder joints and fused them back together.

ALL nVIDIA GPUs are defective and will fail eventually (due to this issue). It could be days like it could take years. You will find MANY documented cases of card failure in this forum alone. But there are work arounds. eVGA, XFX and BFG offer lifetime warranties and then there is the ability to bake your card too :p.

The card idles at around 60C with the fan set to 82% so I do not think it is an overheating/fan issue. I do not have any additional cooling for the card and no overclocking has been performed.

I guess I'll let eVGA do the baking and I hope their RMA service is as good as advertised. :)

ALL nVIDIA GPUs are defective and will fail eventually (due to this issue). It could be days like it could take years.

Bullshit....just more ass taking bullshit........

I had 6 8800GTX cards folding 24/7 a year ago, and not one single failure....

There have been a few issues reported here and there, but to say the are all defective is just plain ignorant.

The card idles at around 60C with the fan set to 82% so I do not think it is an overheating/fan issue. I do not have any additional cooling for the card and no overclocking has been performed.

I guess I'll let eVGA do the baking and I hope their RMA service is as good as advertised. :)

You wont be disappointed...they didn't get the name they have by screwing people....

I think that having the fan @ 82% and still getting 60c at idle is high. It should be around 40-50c @ 40-50% no? I second the option to open the gpu and clean it out.

My eVGA 8800GTX just died on me while I was playing GTAIV. Now it doesn't even POST. I'm worried about the RMA process because I bought this card thinking it had a lifetime warranty but I just learned that I had to register it on their website within 30 days of purchase? Anyway I didn't do that so am I likely to be stuck with no warranty?

I might be off to the oven to do some baking by the sounds of it :(

My EVGA 8800GTX just died this weekend. It lasted little over 2 years. I just got the RMA approved. Hopefully they can resolve this. I bought it for 600 bucks brand new. :(

My eVGA 8800GTX just died on me while I was playing GTAIV. Now it doesn't even POST. I'm worried about the RMA process because I bought this card thinking it had a lifetime warranty but I just learned that I had to register it on their website within 30 days of purchase? Anyway I didn't do that so am I likely to be stuck with no warranty?

I might be off to the oven to do some baking by the sounds of it :(

sorry to hear that, if i were you i would call them, especially if you have a copy of the original reciept from when you purchased it new, they will be very likely to make an exception, trust me, i should know.....and just because there might be others who read this thread

guys, read the documents that come with the hardware you buy, pretty much every hardware manufacturer requires you to register for the warranty, otherwise they can't keep the number of second hand and third party "warranty claims" to a minimum

That's what is Best Buy is for...

im gonna have to be the bad guy here and say that is NOT what best buy is for....being the manager of a retail store, nothing pisses me off more than a customer who is returning something, saying it doesnt work, when i KNOW they are only using my business as a "rental mart"

you have to realize, even though Best Buy is a big bad corporate company in your eyes, there are people, real people, with families, who's earnings are directly affected by people who do things like you suggest....because that video card cannot be put back on the shelf and sold again as new, and the manufacturer will not give us 100% credit on the opened used part when we send it back to them, which means the store takes a hit on the return, which in return means the manager of the store (who has no control over pricing btw) doesnt get as much bonus as he would have, which means he has less money to pay bills with.........

do you see? just because you see a big bad corporate company who charges way too much, the people you hurt the most when doing this is the guy you are standing next to at the local grocery store with his kids..

im gonna have to be the bad guy here ...

easy there, killer. I think you misunderstood the guy. His statement was in response to "I don't have a spare video card to test". My interpretation is that he is saying to go to best buy and get an el cheapo video card to make sure it's not something else in his system- not to rip them off by trying to return the defective card to them.

If eVGA does process my RMA, does anyone know what card they typically replace the 8800GTX with? I've heard previously that they give you a 9800 which isn't cool because those aren't as fast at high resolutions (and I have a 30" screen).

im gonna have to be the bad guy here

yep your the bad guy here... clearly as manager I think your that type that has stick up in your ass when someone returns something you give us consumers, a hard time returning an item (defective or not), price matching and price adjustment... just maybe...

back on topic, I suggest start an RMA I got a DOA and EVGA sent a cross shipping and a UPS label for

Back