evga 8800gt cards report at wrong frequencies

phas3d

Gawd
Something I didnt notice until this evening was that my two new 8800gt cards are reporting the wrong core and memory frequencies. I paid for the evga 8800gt cards that default to 600/900. Not sure what the deal is. Playing anything for roughly 30 minutes results in gpu crash.

I used both the nvidia control panel and gpuz to check core/mem speeds. Also, shader is 1650.

Both evga 8800gt boxes say P/N:512-P3-N801-FR (FR for Frys)

Anyone have an idea?

What frequencies are you seeing? Sounds like you're seeing 650 on the core from what you said the shader clock is, what about the RAM? 650 = Superclocked eVGA, maybe your case is too hot for them.

Try using Rivatuner or Ntune to underclock the video card. If the crashing stops you may want to contace EVGA for an RMA.

They are reporting 650/900 for core/mem. It does sound like I got two superclocked ones or these two were flashed with wrong firmware. Since they are crashing I am thinking maybe the later.

I'm thinking the wrong BIOS was flashed at eVGA, because 650/950=Superclocked, 650/900 isn't even a product of theirs :(.

Sorry, meant 650/950

Yep, you have superclocked cards then.

What are your temperatures like? These cards get hot under stock cooling, so if you have poor case airflow, your crashing could be heat related.

one at 85c and the other at 60c under load and default fan.

I plan on going to Frys tomorrow to pick up a couple heatsink/fans for these cards (probably the N1).

Guess i'll just tweak the fans and core/mem speeds till then.

It's possible the higher-temperature card has bad thermal paste/heatsink contact with the core. Perhaps try reapplying your own TIM on it and see if there's an improvement? I'd bet my bottom dollar it is a heat issue causing your crashes.

When increasing the fanspeeds the temps went back down to upper 60s under load. Not bad...but a little too loud. Aftermarket hsfs here I come.

It's also possible one is hotter since he's running SLI. Many see much higher temps on one card in a SLI setup.
Playing anything for roughly 30 minutes results in gpu crash
Points to heat build up.

Yeah sounds like a heat issue. :(

But that still doesnt explain reporting the wrong freq.

Even at high fan settings of 69% at "default" clock speeds of 650/950 these cards (or one card at least) fails. Air flow and temps are good. I do need to switch cards and will do that tonight when I get home from work. But temps for the one card that ran in a loop for 2 hours didnt exceed low to mid 70c with fan at 69%.

Have no idea why these things are reporting at 650/950. I would take these back if I hadnt already decided before I got them to switch out the cooling for something more aggressive.

Heatsink gets super warm to the touch. I just dont think the stock cooling solution for these cards is good at all.

people were reporting cards being clocked higher than what they payed for with the 8800GTX and GTS cards a while back, mabey there doing this to these cards to? I agree with your idea of just replacing the coolers to something good, let us know how they work with the new coolers.

How are you changing the fan speeds in the bios or another program? Just wondering for when I get my card lol

Phase, if you continue to encounter these issues there may be a possibility that they can give you a bios to clock it back to what you wanted it to be at. That way you can flash it down to what you wanted rather than what its at now... i would suggest calling in to tech support to get that done.

i just downloaded ntune and my clocks are exactly the same. i bought mine from fry's too... maybe the ones from fry's are overclocked? that fr at the end probably means it's from fry's... i wonder if everyone else that bought from fry's has the same issue. i'm currently idling at 58C, i've not tried loading it up yet, i'll do that in a bit or tomorrow. 74C after a few minutes of aquamark3.

i just downloaded ntune and my clocks are exactly the same. i bought mine from fry's too... maybe the ones from fry's are overclocked? that fr at the end probably means it's from fry's... i wonder if everyone else that bought from fry's has the same issue. i'm currently idling at 58C, i've not tried loading it up yet, i'll do that in a bit or tomorrow. 74C after a few minutes of aquamark3.

What frequencies are you getting? They are suppose to be 650 Core / 950 memory / 1900 effective . See link for clocks of various models. What I'm suprised about is that Fry's has their own product code. Got mine from NewEgg and it ends in A1.....

http://www.evga.com/articles/378.asp

is it possible that these are failed SC cards that were resold as regular 8800gts, but someone forgot to flash em :p?

FR= fubar'd rebuild?????

Not funny I know.
I'd load up RivaTuner and run the fans at a higher speed. NTune is worthless.
In SLI the master or card closest to the CPU always runs hotter by about 5-7 degrees.
I think I'd be calling evga support.
If the cards crash and are brand new, that's just not right no matter what the clock speed.

I might take them back but right now with aftermarket cooling they are working just fine at 650/975. No real problems but I noticed (duh) that my psu isnt supplying enough amps to either cards. So, tomorrow I will exchange it for an SLI certified psu and do more testing. Something tells me I will be able to probably push the cards further without getting artifacts.

What PSU are you using? I'm hoping my Corsair HX 520w is able to pull this off, it's gonna be tight from the figures I've seen.

i go to evga, and the site says they clocks should be 600/900 for non overclocked versions of this card. fry's special card serial number isn't anywhere to be found online except for this thread here. the card's fan isn't spinning up faster when i'm in game. it just sits at one setting 29%. i got 90C's yesterday when i was playing. the fan never kicked in gear. i had to manually set it higher in ntune to make it spin faster. only then did i see a drop in temp. i'm thinking the drivers aren't optimized for these cards yet, and they are not controlling the fans well. i have no issues with playing, as i played for a few hours yesterday, no artifacts, no lockups, just me being really concerned as to whether or not 90C's is safe for my video card.

using a seasonic m12 700. should be ample enough for power.

I bought a Raidmax 630 watt psu but knew it wasnt going to work well with SLI. That was initially ok because I had no intentions of doing SLI...until the 8800gt came out. :)

I'm hoping for 700/1000 stable and that is what I will shoot for. I can run this for a few minutes sometimes before they crap out.

Thanks for the info... phas3d, I had meant the question at you in particular since you're running SLI as I am going to be. I'm worried a tad I'll have to buy a larger PSU for this pair, even though the Corsair HX 520w is one of the best supplies for that watt-range :(. I guess we'll see... the 620 can run GTX's in SLI with a quad-core, so I'm hoping the GT's will work in SLI on a 520 with a quad-core :p.

Thanks for the info... phas3d, I had meant the question at you in particular since you're running SLI as I am going to be. I'm worried a tad I'll have to buy a larger PSU for this pair, even though the Corsair HX 520w is one of the best supplies for that watt-range :(. I guess we'll see... the 620 can run GTX's in SLI with a quad-core, so I'm hoping the GT's will work in SLI on a 520 with a quad-core :p.

get a seasonic m12 700! :D that jonny dude said i'd be okay with any sli/crossfire setup i throw at it. (ran x1950xtx crossfire for a while just fine) same psu design/oem maker, just different box, and cable design. lots of juice too, but for the same price you could probably get a nice 850-1000 watt psu... like a toughpower, prostream, or quattro or something.

Phas3d, be careful with running them cards on that psu. i just had flashbacks of my radeon 9800pro, 80gb hdd, athlon xp, ocz ram, all being taken from me by a 300 watt oem comes with the case psu.

my enermax 500w can run 2 640m GTS's on sli with my cpu @ 3ghz :p I do have 3x500gbhds and 1x400gb, 3x120mm led fans and 1x200mm fan ^^

my enermax 500w can run 2 640m GTS's on sli with my cpu @ 3ghz :p I do have 3x500gbhds and 1x400gb, 3x120mm led fans and 1x200mm fan ^^

You're my hero :D... glad to hear that! I'm running two hard drives at the moment, probably putting a 3rd back in soon... 7x120mm fans in the entire case, the q6600 @ 3.15, 4x1gb ram sticks, and an optical, plus X-Fi. Since the GT's take less power than the GTS cards, I'm sure I'm plenty fine even with nice overclocking then :).

EDIT: http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3140&p=13 Apparrently, they consume VERY little more than a single GTX, when in SLI :). Not so worried now.

You're my hero :D... glad to hear that! I'm running two hard drives at the moment, probably putting a 3rd back in soon... 7x120mm fans in the entire case, the q6600 @ 3.15, 4x1gb ram sticks, and an optical, plus X-Fi. Since the GT's take less power than the GTS cards, I'm sure I'm plenty fine even with nice overclocking then :).

should be alright IMO :) specially with a 520HX as its probably able to put out more then my 500w enermax :p

Yeah, that's what I figured, too :).

I'm not sure if this even fits here, but with the 7950GX2, did it require "SLI" to work? or would it work in EVERY game regardless? eg, would it use both cards for Crysis? or have the same limitations as sli, because a dual 8800GT board would rock right now :) I hate the hastle of sli

I second the emotion, you should be fine. According to EVGA requirements all you need for SLI is a 450w with 26a sustained/continuous power on the +12v rail or combined rails. Your Corsair HX comes to the party with 40a.

What important is you get enough amps to each card. The RaidMax 630w cannot do that apparently.

>>Playing anything for roughly 30 minutes results in gpu crash.

Reading comprehension FTW.

i can assure you that my reading comprehension is way ahead of yours, so is logic...

to come out and say, ...oh, my card is crushing because it came with a little bit higher clocks is kind of dumb,

i can assure you that my reading comprehension is way ahead of yours, so is logic...

to come out and say, ...oh, my card is crushing because it came with a little bit higher clocks is kind of dumb,
actually no it's not, it's logical, you order an 8800GT (regular clock) u get one without regular clocks, but is still packaged as a regular 8800GT, it also crashes, one would logically come to a conclusion, that said card is not functioning properly :p

Back