EVGA 980 Ti Hybrid ($689.99) @ Newegg

If I was in the market for a 980 ti, this would surely be on the top of my list. Insane that a water-cooled card is only $50 more than a stock air-cooled version.

Also, insane the number of 980 ti models that EVGA offers. Do we really need five differently-named versions of the same card with subtly different stock clocks?

Also, insane the number of 980 ti models that EVGA offers. Do we really need five differently-named versions of the same card with subtly different stock clocks?

That is the exact, one and only reason I didn't go with EVGA for my 970. I got lost trying to determine the difference between each single character iteration.

how is this GPU different from the other twelve evga cards?

That is the exact, one and only reason I didn't go with EVGA for my 970. I got lost trying to determine the difference between each single character iteration.
My understanding is it's just EVGA tightly binning chips b4 they become a consumer product and the company trying to keep inventory moving quickly since they're not as massive as nearly everyone else they compete against.

Seriously, it's pretty amazing evga has been able to compete with the other major companies for the past decade-plus, because evga is a tiny company based in the usa with a strong rep for great customer service. Compare that to all the other companies (almost exclusively based in taiwan) who dominate the consumer mobo/gpu market. Asus, MSI and Gigabyte have mostly killed off all competitors or reduced their business drastically. Remember Abit, Biostar, Shuttle, Tyan, Aopen, Chaintech, Soyo, FIC, Iwill, Gainward, Leadtek, Guillemot, ELSA and a dozen more? Maybe not but the competition has all but disappeared in the consumer mobo market to the point that even large corporations like ECS and Foxconn are mostly irrelevant to consumers (core business still being OEM for companies like Apple/Sony etc). Video card competition is better, but has also dwindled.

from wikipedia, number of employees by company:
21,361 asus
13,500 msi
7,100 gigabyte
250 evga

how is this GPU different from the other twelve evga cards?

Its literally just a reference card, no binning or guarantee it will overclock well, just has a Asetek CLC pre-installed.

It's actually available much cheaper elsewhere (614) but I can't decide between it and getting a custom PCB board like the Gigabyte G1 for same price.

Having used this thing, get a Strix or Lightning or something like that instead. The Hybrid is bulky and noisy and while it does keep temps low, it doesn't really get you any increase in performance. My card would not go above 1475/8000 regardless of how much voltage I pumped into it, and most people get more than that on custom PCB cards without any effort at all.

Having used this thing, get a Strix or Lightning or something like that instead. The Hybrid is bulky and noisy and while it does keep temps low

Noisy ? Really? After removing my Classified 780Ti my 980Ti hybrid makes my pc almost silent. not sure what you were hearing!

Noisy ? Really? After removing my Classified 780Ti my 980Ti hybrid makes my pc almost silent. not sure what you were hearing!

Sorry, I should have clarified: it's noisy at idle. It's the same noise level under load, and then you can't really hear it over game audio, but when not playing a game it got on my nerves pretty quick.

There are/were dozens of reports of the same on the EVGA forums. Most peoples' solution was to undervolt both the fan and the pump.

It is a great card. I had mine for about a week now and love it. The stock fan is noisy though and its a 3 pin so if you want to replace it just make sure you have an adapter or just plug it into one of your mobo fan headers

Its literally just a reference card, no binning or guarantee it will overclock well, just has a Asetek CLC pre-installed.

It's actually available much cheaper elsewhere (614) but I can't decide between it and getting a custom PCB board like the Gigabyte G1 for same price.

Where is it at $614?

I pulled the trigger on this one. Free game plus $25 AMEX credit I couldn't pass it up. Should be a big jump from my two 670s.

I pulled the trigger on this one. Free game plus $25 AMEX credit I couldn't pass it up. Should be a big jump from my two 670s.

I'm torn. This or 970 sli, been burned with sli/xfiah issues in the past. Leaning toward this.

I'm torn. This or 970 sli, been burned with sli/xfiah issues in the past. Leaning toward this.
I don't think you'll find a single person who would recommend buying two 970's or a single 980 Ti. If you already own a 970 then it's more complicated.
Personally I would off the 970 and pool your cash for the Ti.

Definitely get this over 970 sli, perf in best case may slightly favor the 970s but in worst case this will stomp the 970s especially when vram is an issue.

As for those saying the hybrids are loud try replacing the fans as that is always the first thing to do if you value acoustics and want to use a CLC.

^^^ Thx for replies. Already have a single 970 under water, so that's where I am at. Could add another 970 with a wb for $350~$400 and theoretically it would preform better than a single 980ti.... theoretically. Then again.. I have fond memories with sli/xfire issues so I'm really undecided. Wonder how long this price will last? I'd sure like to get a 980ti with a regular water block on it at this price and just add it to my loop. :rolleyes:

^^^ Thx for replies. Already have a single 970 under water, so that's where I am at. Could add another 970 with a wb for $350~$400 and theoretically it would preform better than a single 980ti.... theoretically. Then again.. I have fond memories with sli/xfire issues so I'm really undecided. Wonder how long this price will last? I'd sure like to get a 980ti with a regular water block on it at this price and just add it to my loop. :rolleyes:

I dunno. I'd wait for Black Friday deals on a 980Ti and put that under water instead.

I dunno. I'd wait for Black Friday deals on a 980Ti and put that under water instead.

Black Friday has sucked the last couple years for current *power house components. At most you see $20 off 970's. I've been disappointed.

Black Friday has sucked the last couple years for current *power house components. At most you see $20 off 970's. I've been disappointed.

They don't really need to deep discount what everyone's happily buying at full price.

You can get a stock 980ti (or even the Gigabyte Windforce trifan deal) for like $620, then I'm showing around $120 for a EK full cover block. Assuming you sell your 970 and block for what, $300, and if you get the Windforce maybe sell that HSF to someone with a blower style card for $30 or something...? Better off than getting another 970, I'd say.

Back