EVGA 9800 GX2 with Multi Display

YahonMaizosz

Limp Gawd
I would like to know if it is possible to have 1 EVGA 9800 GX2 running 2x 30' DELL 3007WFP-HC??

I would like it to run it with full strength.. Right now I have EVGA 7950 GX2 and in order to run 2 display I have to choose "Multi Display" instead of "Multi GPU". This however, greatly reduce my card performance..

Thus, I would like to know if the 9800 GX2 is able to run 2 display with "FULL" performance or will it suffer the same performance penalty as my 7950 GX2...?

Thanks..;)

I guess with the new drivers out now you can run dual monitors with no problem.

I guess with the new drivers out now you can run dual monitors with no problem.

Not yet. The drivers are still in beta and I've tried multi-display with SLI. However, because of the design of the 9800GX2, each port is on a separate GPU. "Only one GPU in an SLI group can drive displays" or something like that. You have to plug them both into the same GPU, which for a 9800GX2 is not possible because each discrete GPU has only one DVI port. Maybe a monitor and a TV, but not dual monitors (I tried it last night, and I was NOT able to turn on Multi-GPU and also run two monitors).

The only way I can make this work is to use a 7900GTX (one of my old gamer cards) to drive a second display, which requires a messy cabling fudge job and adds extra complexity to my computer to boot.

That is what I thought as well.. I am so disappointed that Nvidia SLI is still unable to drive 2 or more monitors.. What is the use of all those "Free" DVI-D ports then??

Is the new driver able to drive multi display even with SLI or Multi-GPU mode turned on??

I am able to run multi display on my 9800 gx2. If you right click on desktop, go to nvidia control panel, then set multi-gpu configuration on the left pane. Then click on the first option which says multi-display mode, then hit apply. When I game though, I set it to multi-gpu mode to get max performance. Second display however is a tv that have vga input with max res. of 800x600. But im pretty sure it could run a higher res. monitor. Also you can actually run 3 monitors. HDMI port also counts as one. If you go to display settings after you selected multi-display mode, there are 3 screen icons, so im pretty sure it can run 3 monitors, correct me if im wrong on this.

I am able to run multi display on my 9800 gx2. If you right click on desktop, go to nvidia control panel, then set multi-gpu configuration on the left pane. Then click on the first option which says multi-display mode, then hit apply. When I game though, I set it to multi-gpu mode to get max performance. Second display however is a tv that have vga input with max res. of 800x600. But im pretty sure it could run a higher res. monitor. Also you can actually run 3 monitors. HDMI port also counts as one. If you go to display settings after you selected multi-display mode, there are 3 screen icons, so im pretty sure it can run 3 monitors, correct me if im wrong on this.

I am also able to run 2 display with my current 7950 GX2.. However, I have to consistently switch between the "Multi Display" and "Multi GPU" mode..

What I really want is for it to be in "Multi GPU" mode while still being able to run 2 display..

This does not yet work because as I mentioned before, the "SLI Multi-Monitor" only refers to conventional, two separate physical card SLI, not SLI-on-a-stick. Because each GPU on the 9800GX2 only has ONE DVI port, the driver does not allow enabling SLI and multiple monitors on this card. Oh well, so much for hoping. Guess I'll leave the 7900GTX in...

Back