EVGA blown caps!

pinoy

Limp Gawd
I decided to clean the inside of my computer tonight when I noticed two capacitors on my Nvidia 6200LE had blown. The computer works fine interestingly. It's clear to me now when several weeks ago I heard a loud tick sound. It sounded like a massive static electricity discharge that I thought there was power surge or an arc that occurred. I didn't detect any burning smell and the PC was running fine so I left it be. A couple more weeks would pass when another tick sound is heard. The sound was so alarming that it made me jump my seat, but I didn't smell anything burning so I left it be. I couldn't be bothered to open up the tower. Now it all makes sense what I heard weeks ago.

This is an EVGA video card. I was web surfing at the time I heard the tick sounds. I don't even play video games with this computer. I can't believe that the caps would blow in this situation. I replaced the caps and hopefully no more will blow.

How old is that card now? Failures happen with older kit and for those caps it doesn't matter if you're gaming or web browsing anyway.

Also, EVGA doesn't make their own caps and neither does any other video card manufacturer, those are 3rd party parts.
Same with motherboards or any other part in your PC I might add.

Pinoy are you in the UK ??? cuz I may have a spare card lying about that I could throw your way.

I just had this happen on a machine in my office. Oddly the computer would boot into safe mode (no nvidia drivers) but would crash on nv4_disp (nvidia drivers) when booting regular. I guess the standard vga drivers didn't use whatever was involved with the blown cap.

I thought about replacing the cap but its such an old card it would be cheaper to replace it with something comparable. Kudos on replacing the cap yourself though, probably saved yourself $100 in buying a new card.

Why didn't you RMA the card under EVGA's lifetime warranty? I'm sure you would have gotten something better in return as well, considering how old that card is.

You soldered caps back on a old POS video card and now you're complaining to EVGA about it?
lol:p

I had two of the 6200's fail on me from evga. They were bought a few months before the lifetime warranty required you to register. I emailed evga's tech support 3 times with no response. After that I have refused to buy from them. The cards were roughly 3 years old at the time and I didn't expect them to do much, but no response from email?

My one month old eVGA G470 died on me tonight. What the heck is up with their Q/A these days? I've always had good experiences with their products.

My one month old eVGA G470 died on me tonight. What the heck is up with their Q/A these days? I've always had good experiences with their products.

um... shit happens? welcome to the world of technology.. shit fails. that's why reputable companies have an RMA service because they know shit fails. RMA it, get a new card, be happy.

lol, at all these people complaining about 6200 series cards failing and putting it off on EVGA. back in those days manufactures had 0 control over what was put on the cards, everything was regulated by Nvidia at that time. all they did was make the cards to Nvidia's specs, slapped their manufacture logo on it and put it in a box.

Why didn't you RMA the card under EVGA's lifetime warranty? I'm sure you would have gotten something better in return as well, considering how old that card is.

if i remember correctly at the time of the 6200 LE's release they did not have a lifetime warranty, i believe it was a 3 year warranty. also if you were outside the US you only got a 1 year warranty, that wasn't changed until a couple years ago.

I decided to clean the inside of my computer tonight when I noticed two capacitors on my Nvidia 6200LE had blown. The computer works fine interestingly. It's clear to me now when several weeks ago I heard a loud tick sound. It sounded like a massive static electricity discharge that I thought there was power surge or an arc that occurred. I didn't detect any burning smell and the PC was running fine so I left it be. A couple more weeks would pass when another tick sound is heard. The sound was so alarming that it made me jump my seat, but I didn't smell anything burning so I left it be. I couldn't be bothered to open up the tower. Now it all makes sense what I heard weeks ago.

This is an EVGA video card. I was web surfing at the time I heard the tick sounds. I don't even play video games with this computer. I can't believe that the caps would blow in this situation. I replaced the caps and hopefully no more will blow.

The exact same thing happened to me the other year (only MB not VC), I'd hear these huge snap-pops and be like WTH was that, and then one day the computer wouldn't even get to the BIOS screen and I popped it open and there were popped caps all over the EVGA motherboard. It was built during the year when CHina was dumping a ton of counterfeit caps onto the market and it hit many brands only a few boards that used really expensive caps escaped 100%.

You soldered caps back on a old POS video card and now you're complaining to EVGA about it?
lol:p

Read more post less, you obviously have comprehension issues. He stated the product he had and the manufacturer. He also stated that he doesn't stress the card so it should have lasted for essentially ever in his mind. Unfortunately unless he just got the card age, heat, and electronics just doesn't mix. Everything breaks eventually.

You need to *read btw the lines*. :rolleyes:

Still dont see him complaining to EVGA when I read his post again, but this time reading between the lines, maybe he posted it in grey, same colour as the background ? :p

Pinoy are you in the UK ??? cuz I may have a spare card lying about that I could throw your way.

Thanks for the offer but I don't live in the UK. It is during these times when I wish I was.

The card is ~four years old and I checked my Newegg receipt and it said it had 2 years warranty only. Didn't Evga have a program where if you register the product you got extra warranties? I think I registered it. I'll need to check. The card only cost me $25. May be Evga will send me a 460 GTX as a replacement.

I saw the same card from a different brand but they omitted one of the caps that blew on mine. It may not have been a critical cap that's why mine kept working.

Back