eVGA Confirms the "Revamped" GTS 640 was released today

NCIX seems very confident that the 8800GTS 640MB they are selling are indeed G92s, since they list it in the product title. They also confirmed countless times with evga. I would buy it to confirm, but I don't have $400

The product:

EVGA E-GEFORCE 8800GTS V2 Ssc Edition G92 576MHZ 640MB DDR3 PCI-E DVI-I HDTV DIRECTX10 Video Card
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=26825

What the employees have said:

It's a G92 core...we tend to actually have better information and better sources than most forum users here...cough....cough.

Quote: (DugChan @ Oct 30 2007, 06:50 AM)

the new gts (65nm- G92) are to be released on nov19th.they will have the full 128sp's but will (according to rumors) also be 256 bit.

What we're saying is - THIS is the part you described above. So to heck with rumours, it's sitting here right now in our warehouse.

Details are still a little vague on the exact specs and details, but it's confirmed these are the new revised GTS flavour and have the G92.

Quote: (Eric_M @ Oct 30 2007, 03:36 AM)

NCIX you are spreading false rumors ... It's not based on the GT .... The new GTS is coming around the 15 November at the same time as the ATI HD 3000 series ....

Sorry - you're wrong. We've confirmed this with EVGA several times. They have not updated their info on their web site yet to reflect this new product's new specs, but I suspect they will do so by mid-November. This is the part that's rumoured...

I tried to give the forum members on XS the inside scoop on this card, and they also chased me away for spreading "false rumors", but riddle me this: Have we ever steered the community wrong?

We may have typos on the web site from time to time, but if we're wrong, we correct it.

We're sure about this.

Almost bought one from NCIX since they seem to be trustworthy. If it was indeed the G92 on the double slot heatsink, imagine the overclocking potential :eek: I do have the money to drop on it right now as well, but got offered a brand new GTX for $350 so someone else will have to take one for the team haha.

The GTS 640 should be better at high resolutions, when compared to the 8800 GT.

but by how much?

1800 x 256 / 8 = 57.8gbps
1600 x 320 / 8 = 64gbps

thats 15% diff in mem bandwidth, does the 640GTS have enough fill rate / shader power to saturate its 320bit bus at high res? or was it the lack of shaders in the first place that put it behind the 128sp / 384bit gtx?

but by how much?

1800 x 256 / 8 = 57.8gbps
1600 x 320 / 8 = 64gbps

thats 15% diff in mem bandwidth, does the 640GTS have enough fill rate / shader power to saturate its 320bit bus at high res? or was it the lack of shaders in the first place that put it behind the 128sp / 384bit gtx?

That's just it. It won't be by much, but enough to maintain the consistency of their naming scheme i.e. GTX > GTS > GT.
Obvisouly the lack of Stream Processors, when compared to the GTX, made a big difference, but a wider bus, will also be important at higher resolutions, which is where the 8800 GT may fail, against this "new" GTS.

Almost bought one from NCIX since they seem to be trustworthy.

If they were trustworthy, it runs at 576 MHZ. You would pay $150 more to have a slower clock speed? The only way this card makes any sense at $400 is if the specs are completely wrong on NCIX/EVGA/BFG releases so far.

Even if this is a G92 with 112 sp, and is clocked higher than all the released specs, it still seems expensive at $400. Heck I don't think a GTX is worth $400 anymore.

This is a really FUBAR for confusing the market place. All the info so far NCIX/BFG/EVGA all have the "new" GTS running slower (much slower for shaders) than the GT.

So maybe the real total confusion strategy is:

GTS 640 ver 1: 96 shaders on G80 core. The original.
GTS 640 ver 2: 112 shaders on G80 core. The clear out the old cores model.
GTS 640 ver 3: 112 shaders on G92 core.. The real new model.

Oh the fun of trying to order the right GTS, or buy and sell a used GTS. Just when you thought the 8800GT name was a bad choice for a faster than GTS part, they raise the bar on stupid naming.

That's just it. It won't be by much, but enough to maintain the consistency of their naming scheme i.e. GTX > GTS > GT.
Obvisouly the lack of Stream Processors, when compared to the GTX, made a big difference, but a wider bus, will also be important at higher resolutions, which is where the 8800 GT may fail, against this "new" GTS.

well now the rumours are that the new GTS is a G92 based card with 112sp and 256bit mem @ higher clocks.

We may be dealing with two separate products here. A quickie 7900GTO-like knock off to soak up existing G80 GPUs, followed by an all-new G92-based speedster. Followed next by a G90 (not G92) monster to replace the GTX/Ultra.

Latest from NCIX: It no longer says G92 and they have posted they were given bad info:

it looks like we were misinformed somewhere along the way. You guys are right *hangs head in shame*.

This IS the revised GTS, but it's G80 based apparently. We were corrected this morning.

Now everything makes sense. These are nothing but G80 dumper specials. It may win a few more benches against the GT but it is not ahead of the GTX and not even clearly ahead of the GT and NOT a good value.

I seriously doubt Nvidia will add even more confusion by later releasing another 640GTS based on G92. It would make more sense to keep the GTS as G80 chips and if they have a chip with more memory bandwidth or even more shaders that could be a GTX replacement.

Read the latest piece of news and it does say the new GTS 640, is based on G92. However, clock frequencies and memory interface remain the same, as the old model i.e. 500 Mhz/800 Mhz and 320 bit memory bus.

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/13494

I take that with a grain of Salt. Ncix has the cards ( see my post above ) There was a lot of confusion around them and they were listing them initially as G92 cards, but they have since reported that they were misinformed. These new 112shader GTS cards are G80 parts.

If you look at the clock speed from both evga/BFG it is the only thing that makes sense.

Wow, I really dodged a bullet there. I'm sure they would honor all refunds and cancel orders based on misinformation. They should have just opened one up and removed the heat sink imo.

Don't know if it's nVidia or the retail companies, but somebody is fumbling the ball in the execution on this. They're taking a stinky dump all over their own new product launch just to avoid getting caught with some obsolete inventory. Mass confusion, delayed purchases, uncertain customers...

Umm no.

Higher than GTS clocks, LOWER than GT clocks.

Here is the BFG info:
BFG NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS EE OC 640MB:

Core Clock: 565MHz vs. standard 500MHz

Shader Clock: 1300MHz vs. standard 1200MHz

Memory Clock: 1700MHz vs. standard 1600MHz

The GT has 600MHz,1500MHz, 1800MHz. Much faster across the board. Both the BFG and EVGA confirm that:
The "new" GTS has slower clocks than the GT and is really the OLD GTS with more units, that only an idiot would pay more than GT money for.

umm, yeah

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=9474

Here is what you need to know...

Same core as it was before... but its got 112 shaders :D

Mmmkay? How about all these rumors die, these cards are the same ones as before.

i wish Nvidia and its board partners would pull their heads out of their ass's

This is making me angrier by the minute, its gonna cause SLI nightmares, im betting within the next week I'll have a complaint that their newly bought 8800GTS wont SLI w/ an old one.

i wish Nvidia and its board partners would pull their heads out of their ass's

This is making me angrier by the minute, its gonna cause SLI nightmares, im betting within the next week I'll have a complaint that their newly bought 8800GTS wont SLI w/ an old one.

SLI is (despite what you think, by reading this board) not mainstream.
It has never been and most likely will never be, Steam's survey shows that multi GPU is ~1%, so SLI would be the least of my (and every one elses) worries....and not something I would wan't NVIDIA to delay or accomodate the very small minority, this "fear" of SLI problems/incompatability.

Maybe Nvidia will go out of business for this. One can only hope!

Ahh yes, because it would be awesome to leave a struggling company that's not even primarily in the GPU business a monopoly on the video card market. I mean I like ATI, but that's just a stupid reaction to a bad naming scheme.

I'm sorry, last I checked, the person who over reacts to a joke and calls the joking person stupid based on the assumption that the joke is in fact serious, is actually the stupid individual.

A week before Christmas at a local BB:
An average Joe is looking for a new graphic card as a Christmas present, at first he took the new revamped 8800GTS which he thought that he already saw that last year, then he noticed this brand new shiny HD 3850 which he never saw it before. He look at the price tag and compare it with the price of the 8800GTS in his hand, he smiles and... :D

I heard an unconfirmed rumor that nVidia is renaming the entire 7 series to the 8800GTS!

Bloody Hell!! :p

Just when I finally thought I had this under raps.
According to the review two posts up the New "Old" 8800GTS outperforms the 8800GT ever so slightly, even though it is based on the g80 core instead of the g92?

Do I have this correct so far? I noticed he had resolution up to 1600x1200, and does anyone figure it's simply the extra ram that may be pushing the numbers up ever so slightly. For sure the 8800GT is the better technology, and can be had for about $250. So why would someone get the the New "Old" GTS as current pricing is still $350+ if I'm not mistaken.

Also the new one has 112sp's right. Does the current 8800GT actually have 128? Or is this number what is supposed to be on the Actual New 8800GTS?

Wow I feel like a total nub, for this post

Back