EVGA GTX 480 & 72hz refresh rate causes 80 - 81C idle temps?

mathesar

[H]ard|Gawd
I have a Samsung 2333T LCD which can run 72hz refresh rate without skipping frames, the problem is if I run anything over 60hz my GTX 480's idle temp jumps from 50-52C to 80C even tho the GPU usage is at 0%, Is this a known issue or maybe something I'm overlooking?

At first I thought maybe it was because i'm running dual monitors and the combination of 60hz / 72hz was causing the issue, but the problem persists even if I disable the 2nd monitor.

As soon as I change the 2333T's refresh back to 60hz the GPU temp drops back to normal.

Any ideas appreciated.

like sojuuk said it sounds like a driver bug, the other thing to check is your clocks on the card, see if it jumps from 2D clocks to 3D clocks, should give you an idea of whats causing the high temps. use gpu-z or evga precision or msi afterburner to see if the clocks change).

my guess is the cards going into 3D clock mode due to the drivers thinking the card can't handle the refresh rate at the 2D clocks.

like sojuuk said it sounds like a driver bug, the other thing to check is your clocks on the card, see if it jumps from 2D clocks to 3D clocks, should give you an idea of whats causing the high temps. use gpu-z or evga precision or msi afterburner to see if the clocks change).

my guess is the cards going into 3D clock mode due to the drivers thinking the card can't handle the refresh rate at the 2D clocks.

The Core, Shader and especially Memory clock are all increasing during Idle @ 72hz, Looks like Im one driver version behind current I'll see if updating helps any.

60Hz:
gtx480_60hz_gpu_temp2.JPG

72Hz
gtx480_72hz_gpu_temp2.JPG

Well same issue with latest drivers (275.33), I can have both monitors enabled and running @ 60hz with normal idle clocks but anything higher than 60hz causes a big spike in clocks and heat (as shown above).

I wonder if the Geforce 500 series cards are also affected by this.

Well same issue with latest drivers (275.33), I can have both monitors enabled and running @ 60hz with normal idle clocks but anything higher than 60hz causes a big spike in clocks and heat (as shown above).

I wonder if the Geforce 500 series cards are also affected by this.

sounds like a very unique issue that few people will have run into yet bug report to nvidia IMO. Just don't count on it getting fixed.

sounds like a very unique issue that few people will have run into yet bug report to nvidia IMO. Just don't count on it getting fixed.

Ya I emailed EVGA and got sort of a half assed answer they basically said its normal for this to happen and suggested I run the "industry standard" 60hz.

I wonder if this issue affects 120hz monitors.

well it makes sense that it would clock up the higher 2D clocks(multi-display/hardware accel 2D clocks). its having to do more work though its most likely just a fail safe in the drivers so that it doesn't cause any lag issues when on the desktop. also i believe it does clock the cards higher with 120hz displays as well.

well it makes sense that it would clock up the higher 2D clocks(multi-display/hardware accel 2D clocks). its having to do more work though its most likely just a fail safe in the drivers so that it doesn't cause any lag issues when on the desktop. also i believe it does clock the cards higher with 120hz displays as well.

It would make sense if the increase in clocks wasnt so drastic, I mean look at the memory clock alone it goes from 135MHz @ 60hz to 1848MHz @ 72hz (100% load!), Even at Idle.

It's not worth the heat & stress on the videocard so I'm just going to leave it at 60hz, Thanks for the replies.

It would make sense if the increase in clocks wasnt so drastic, I mean look at the memory clock alone it goes from 135MHz @ 60hz to 1848MHz @ 72hz (100% load!), Even at Idle.

It's not worth the heat & stress on the videocard so I'm just going to leave it at 60hz, Thanks for the replies.

thats just the way they have the 2D default clocks set, hell its better then it was before, previous to the 400/500 series all you had was 2D and 3D clocks. run 2 displays you were forced to run 3D clocks no matter what you did. at least now theres an option, to bad AMD figured that out 5 years before them.

but you can try manually setting your 2D clocks using afterburner. but its not really going to change your temps all that much since you are going to want to leave the gpu at the clocks its using now and the memory being downclocked won't really change the temp much.

Back