EVGA SLi Mobo discussion thread. Come one, come all.

Hey ,i have read all that i can about EVGA combo deal and, besides heat being read wrong I think I'll get it (GTX combo). I hate any issue espically for $549 BUCKS, but.I was wondering if you could mod the nforce chip to allow sata2 like the dfi boards.

Anyone know any good 3rd party heat sinks that just work with this board? Big Typhoon... etc for my a64 X2? Or do they all require custom jobs? I have my board etc. sitting on my desk... Still putting stuff together slowly...

JJXtraKill said:
Hey ,i have read all that i can about EVGA combo deal and, besides heat being read wrong I think I'll get it (GTX combo). I hate any issue espically for $549 BUCKS, but.I was wondering if you could mod the nforce chip to allow sata2 like the dfi boards.

Don't these mobos already support sata2

I am still waiting on mine. should get it some time this week though.

I flashed to the Jetway bios n89lga03.bin on the NF41 board ver 2.2. After I flashed I got a 29 on the led and nothing else, no post at all. Didnt post or at all. My Brother had a nf43 board so I pulled the
bios chip out and hotflashed mine back to the evga bios. I tried flashing a second time but had the same result. I have read that people have flashed to the the jetway bios without a problem so I am not sure if is related to the version of the board or what. I guess it could be that the jetway bios doesnt like some peice of hardware but I dont think so. Any idea's on what that 29 on the led means? Just my 2 cents.

nf41 3800x2 twinx2048 3200c2 7800gt.

I called evga and they said there is no bios update available yet and don't know when there will be one. I have been running my board overclocked with SLI enabled and it has been stable with no problems.

Yes I would have and did I have a Gigabyte GA-K8N-Pro-SLI board that won't overclock at all, at least to me it won't. I installed the evga and overclocked right away with no problem and set SLI up easily too. Yes this isn't an Asus or MSI SLI but it is a nice basic SLI that gives you a lot of features and stability.

acoldone said:
Anyone know any good 3rd party heat sinks that just work with this board? Big Typhoon... etc for my a64 X2? Or do they all require custom jobs? I have my board etc. sitting on my desk... Still putting stuff together slowly...

I have the Big Typhoon HS and it went on just fine. You have to remove the plastic bracket and back plate, but that comes off very easy.

The only real problem I had with the HS is that it is difficult to tell how tight to make the nuts when putting it on.

acoldone said:

I've got a Zalman 7700AlCu and that fits very nicely (no tight fits anywhere including RAM and p/s). Like the previous poster said, you just need to remove the yellow plastic bracket that comes with the mobo. Just pinch the pin clamps on the underside and push it off. I don't think you're going to have any issues with any heatsink you can find as long as your case can fit it. The layout on this board is as perfect as it can get. Ok, well, maybe a nice heatpipe cooling solution for the NB would be good - ala the Asus A8N SLI Premium. Anyway... no 3rd party heatsink/fan issues here!

Ok after a full day of overclocking and reseting the bios about 30 times and reinstalling windows a couple times I seem to have got my machine stable.

3800x2 w/ zalman 7700cu @245 10x
corsair twinx2048 3200c2 2.5-3-3-6 @245
evga nf41.

I had some problems with memory at anything over 250 no matter what I did with the timings.
I had to drop the HT speed down to 800 or it wouldnt post at anything above 240. The 3800x2 went all the way up to 2.7ghz without any problems. Although with the memory dividers that puts my memory at 226 or something. I plan on pushing the cpu back up to 2.7 and see if the machine is faster @ 2.7ghz with the memory slow or both the same @2.45 ghz. I did not have any problems with losing settings. My issues were all with the machine just not booting after I made a change.

Splat1 said:
Ok after a full day of overclocking and reseting the bios about 30 times and reinstalling windows a couple times I seem to have got my machine stable.

3800x2 w/ zalman 7700cu @245 10x
corsair twinx2048 3200c2 2.5-3-3-6 @245
evga nf41.

I had some problems with memory at anything over 250 no matter what I did with the timings.
I had to drop the HT speed down to 800 or it wouldnt post at anything above 240. The 3800x2 went all the way up to 2.7ghz without any problems. Although with the memory dividers that puts my memory at 226 or something. I plan on pushing the cpu back up to 2.7 and see if the machine is faster @ 2.7ghz with the memory slow or both the same @2.45 ghz. I did not have any problems with losing settings. My issues were all with the machine just not booting after I made a change.

Just a few comments. If you had the HT at 1000 at 230 or 235FSB it's no wonder the board would not post. 1000 HT is the limit of the A64 so you should have had it at 800 as soon as you went past 200 FSB. The losing settings and the 250 FSB block seem to be related. Some here (like Headless) are using the board at 270FSB, but only by using clockgen from within Windows. In my own experience (3700+ San Diego) the board would go as high as 260-265 (with some booting delay) and fail to boot completely at 270.

My thought is that all this is memory related. My OCZ PC3200 Platinum Rev 2 TCC5 (1.1Rev) can do well past 300FSB in my bro-in-law's DFI @ 2.85v. I can't get the RAM to run stable at anything past 245 1:1. The lack of stability past 250 FSB 1:1 RAM and the 270 FSB ceiling seems to be a BIOS memory settings issue (so is the lack of running at 1T at 200FSB or higher). I know EVGA is working on this so we'll have to be patient until a BIOS revision comes. :(

Nice to see that report -- i am looking at selling off my 2x512MB old corsair chips and picking up 2x1GB (for bf2 ;)) -- nice to know you can get that kind of speed out of your 2x1gb. I'm running my ram at a measly 186mhz, but at tight timings -- 2-2-2-5-1T. I found the higher clockspeeds (230mhz) to give more bandwidth overall, but i had to drop the timings so far to make it stable that i decided to go with the ram @ 186. Still getting >5.5GB/sec bandwidth.

Edit: I think acroig is completely correct. If you drop your RAM way down, the board is stable up to almost 300FSB (in my case)...it's all related to the RAM :( I have my FSB stable @ 277 but i can't tell weather it's the board or my chip holding me back from the glorious 2.8... anything over 277(*10) errors out

Hehe jetway rlsed bioses for the standard and ultra versions of this mobo and then whatta ya know! EVGA rebandages the jetway bios and rlses lol.

@245 1:1 2.5-3-3-6 1t .. at this speed its stable. If I go 5mhz higher its not. btw my machine idle 32c load 56c

Splat1 said:
@245 1:1 2.5-3-3-6 1t .. at this speed its stable. If I go 5mhz higher its not. btw my machine idle 32c load 56c

What voltage is your RAM at? I'm more convinced than ever that all these issues are memory related. Have you guys seen the RAM options on a DFI NF4 board? I compared my RAM settings withat that of my bro-in-law using A64 Tweaker and some of our RAM settings are VERY aggressive compared to the DFI. We don't have any way of adjusting those in BIOS as the DFI boards do. :mad:

I notice almost all of you are oc'ing but I have a simple question. How is this board stock? Stable, good lan, sound etc.

LiquidX said:
I notice almost all of you are oc'ing but I have a simple question. How is this board stock? Stable, good lan, sound etc.

Mine is stock and I couldn't be happier. Stable, quick, easy. I'm running all the latest drivers for my components with no issues. Thumbs up from me!

voltage is at 2.75 in the bios. The 1gb sticks dont take to high voltages very well from what I have read.

Nettwerk said:
Hehe jetway rlsed bioses for the standard and ultra versions of this mobo and then whatta ya know! EVGA rebandages the jetway bios and rlses lol.

Is this a recent thing? WHere is the new evga NF41 bios at?

I called EVGA a couple of days ago and they said they have no bios out for this board and don't know when one will be released. Mine has been running fine overclocked and in SLI with no problems. My system is in my sig.

computerdude said:
I called EVGA a couple of days ago and they said they have no bios out for this board and don't know when one will be released. Mine has been running fine overclocked and in SLI with no problems. My system is in my sig.

What kind of temps are you getting with this board? I have my 3500 oc'ed to 2.5ghz the same as you and get 40-46c idle and 55-61c load using an xp-90c and small amount of AS5. I've had a few random COD's and lockups in games so I wonder if temps are the reason.

peacetilence said:
What kind of temps are you getting with this board? I have my 3500 oc'ed to 2.5ghz the same as you and get 40-46c idle and 55-61c load using an xp-90c and small amount of AS5. I've had a few random COD's and lockups in games so I wonder if temps are the reason.

Mine are high but that is something with a bug in the BIOS I was told.No lockups or bsod's so far.

peacetilence said:
Is this a recent thing? WHere is the new evga NF41 bios at?

There is none those where only for the non sli version heh

No tellin when jetway will make a new bios :/

LiquidX said:

It is stable (even at 245FSB), lan works fine and sound is above average IMHO. The board just has a few annoying quirks (1T issue with some RAM, EVGA logo at boot, and other o/c bugs) that should be remedied with a BIOS upgrade. Thumbs up here too! :D

Sparrow_69 said:
Is this board actually any good, the pic I saw of it looks pretty junky...

What about it made it look "junky" to you? :rolleyes:

Have you seen another board with such an easy SLI setup as this one? The board is by no means "junky". It just has a few annoying bugs that will hopefully be addressed in a BIOS revision.

acroig said:
What about it made it look "junky" to you? :rolleyes:

Have you seen another board with such an easy SLI setup as this one? The board is by no means "junky". It just has a few annoying bugs that will hopefully be addressed in a BIOS revision.

Not to mention the layout is fantastic. It can accommodate ANY heatsink/fan for your CPU as long as your case fits it. I'd recommend this board to anyone I know.

Most of this is cut and pasted from a similar post I made at Anandtech:

So, I bought the board and 7800GT combo, and it was working, but because of the same BIOS issues others are having, I decided to flash the Jetway BIOS for the equivalent board, after the user here mentioned that he had. Big mistake. My computer doesn't even show POST anymore, although it does beep if I remove the RAM, indicating that nothing is physically wrong with the board. I tried using the BIOS chip from a DFI Lanparty, but it says "error loading operating system" at the point where it should boot the AWDFlash utility from the floppy, and when I tried to hotswap my BIOS into the DFI board and flash the BIOS onto it there, it pointed out that the part number for the BIOS doesn't match the mobo (which is true, so I can't complain). I also reset the CMOS just in case, but (naturally) it didn't solve the problem at all. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do?

P.S. The person who was having a similar problem earlier mentioned that he put in a BIOS chip from an NF43 board, which I incorrectly read as "NF4", hence the reason that I thought the DFI BIOS chip might work.

mtokutomi said:
Most of this is cut and pasted from a similar post I made at Anandtech:

So, I bought the board and 7800GT combo, and it was working, but because of the same BIOS issues others are having, I decided to flash the Jetway BIOS for the equivalent board, after the user here mentioned that he had. Big mistake. My computer doesn't even show POST anymore, although it does beep if I remove the RAM, indicating that nothing is physically wrong with the board. I tried using the BIOS chip from a DFI Lanparty, but it says "error loading operating system" at the point where it should boot the AWDFlash utility from the floppy, and when I tried to hotswap my BIOS into the DFI board and flash the BIOS onto it there, it pointed out that the part number for the BIOS doesn't match the mobo (which is true, so I can't complain). I also reset the CMOS just in case, but (naturally) it didn't solve the problem at all. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should do?

P.S. The person who was having a similar problem earlier mentioned that he put in a BIOS chip from an NF43 board, which I incorrectly read as "NF4", hence the reason that I thought the DFI BIOS chip might work.

As myself and others told you at Anand's you are going to have to get a new BIOS chip from EVGA unless you can hot flash with another EVGA board. Sorry for the bad news.

Hi Fellas!
Been chillin' with my box @ 2770 w/ RAM @ 2-2-2-5-1T @ 185mhz or so. Today i got my new ram, crucial ballistix 2x1gb pc4000 chips, to replace my old 2x512 chips. I dropped them in, changed the RAM multiplier to get the ram running @ around 227mhz. Changed timings to 2.5-3-3-7 (it's rated @ 3-4-4-10 @ 250mhz). She booted fine, first try, AND she fucking remembered my FSB settings, which happened to be 273mhz in my BIOS (i've been manually setting it to 277 via clockgen in windows and never got around to changing it in the bios). I'm running prime95 & OCCT right now, and so far it is stable. Gonna have to do some benchmarks and see if i prefer 2-2-2-5-1t @ 185 or 2-3-3-7-1t @ 227mhz. I am thinking the 1t/2t is the biggest difference and 227mhz will probably be the best. Wee.

Pasted in from Anandtech forum...(Concerning Jetway 939GT4-SLI-G board)

Having issues with 1T timings with the Patriot TCCD stuff:

Edit: Update:
Ok.. i have bios revision A02... for the 939GT4-SLI-G...

Here's what they [Jetway site] have:
For A03:

Quote:
Fix after S3 resume,CPU ratio& valtage return to default.Solution EPA logo add make hdd priority display error.Fix after S1 resume,Can't shutdown issue.K8 Rev:E6 support.(For 939GT4-SLI-G-EC/OC)

For A02:

Quote:
Solution EPA logo add make hdd priority display error.Fix after S1 resume,Can't shutdown issue.Add "AC loss Auto Restart "item. K8 Rev:E6 support.(For 939GT4-STD-G)

There is an unmarked(doesn't say what board it goes with) Bios update that addresses a couple of issues i've had...but says it's version A02.

Obviously the closest to the name of my board would be that sli-g-ec/oc...but in bios updates, close just isn't good enuf...My user manual says it supports sli-g, sli-p, sli-d...nothing about sli-g-ec/oc...The bios states this is a sli-g.

If i get any more info i'll update this post.

edit: new info:
[links removed for lack of need in [H] forum]

edit 9/19/05
Newegg gave me a US number for Jetway. Where i talked with cust service. The A03 version listed above is for my -G board. The extra extensions on it refer to the "organic capacitors". I'll give her a try and reply back in a bit.

update...
...gimme an F
...gimme a U
...gimme a C
...bleh u know the rest...

yea so i'd followed the directions...
I used the bios update on the site A03, along with the Award Flash program provided on that page (btw...the other version is corrupt...if you read the directions through the link [Read me first]...there's a link to a download for the award flash program...an older version...yea it's bad. luckly it won't even try to install, it just locks up). So, i updated to A03...no boot.

When i turn it on now, it goes through it's usual setup...FF etc, then settles on 29 which is an error that stands for gpu error i think. So i took out the sli...used just 1. No go. Put a pci card in (old matrox)...no go...went back to the sli and took ouit the ram...C1 error: first block memory test...ie no memory installed. So it acts like the basic functions are there...but i don't know whats going on...Hell the last time i booted it, it just kept rebooting and when it finally stopped, on the 29 error again, the cdrom and the dvd rom just sat there and turned on and off (err...light turned on and off for both of them...) so i decided i didn't want to fry anything else and shut her down.

Edit: 9/20/05
Talked with tech again, he's sending me a new winbond chip to use temporarily...He said he was going to take it out of a RMA board...lol...(actually i'm not sure i should be laughing...=/)(i got the impression he wanted the chip back...hrm...can u hot swap those after booting?). So yea...He also said the version located on the web page was out of date, and that was the reason it crashed... I'm not sure i buy in to that, but ok. Guess i'll just wait and see what happens.

headless said:
Hi Fellas!
Been chillin' with my box @ 2770 w/ RAM @ 2-2-2-5-1T @ 185mhz or so. Today i got my new ram, crucial ballistix 2x1gb pc4000 chips, to replace my old 2x512 chips. I dropped them in, changed the RAM multiplier to get the ram running @ around 227mhz. Changed timings to 2.5-3-3-7 (it's rated @ 3-4-4-10 @ 250mhz). She booted fine, first try, AND she fucking remembered my FSB settings, which happened to be 273mhz in my BIOS (i've been manually setting it to 277 via clockgen in windows and never got around to changing it in the bios). I'm running prime95 & OCCT right now, and so far it is stable. Gonna have to do some benchmarks and see if i prefer 2-2-2-5-1t @ 185 or 2-3-3-7-1t @ 227mhz. I am thinking the 1t/2t is the biggest difference and 227mhz will probably be the best. Wee.

You see, I knew all these issues were memory related! What EVGA has to do is focus on memory compatibility in their next BIOS revision. I suggest you go and post this in the EVGA forums so Wade can check out your progress. Let us know what the benchmarks show.

Yup, i never expected 1T @ 227mhz. I am going to see how high it will go.. a couple of people have run this stuff @ 270-280MHZ at stock timings (3-4-4-8-1t) so in THEORY i should be able to get this stuff running 1:1 with my current 273mhz o/c. That'd be cool.

Did some benchmarks in sandra -- getting 6.7gb/sec now. Was getting 5.5gb/sec before. Good increase.

Yes I ran my ballistics at 280 3-3-3-6 2.8v for 2 months before lightning somehow messed up one of my lan ports and the ram :(

No go @ 1T OR 2T @ 1:1, even with voltage boosted to 3.05v, and timings loosened to 3-4-4-8

The box is remembering all of my bios settings now though, boots w/ it's beep instantly instead of pausing on boot and not remembering htt setting.

headless said:
No go @ 1T OR 2T @ 1:1, even with voltage voosted to 3.05v, and timings loosened to 3-4-4-8

The box is remembering all of my bios settings now though, boots w/ it's beep instantly instead of pausing on boot and not remembering htt setting.

Don't sweat it man, there's no one I've seen in here or the EVGA forum that can do 1:1 RAM at that high FSB with our board, nevermind that the RAM will do it fine on other boards. We have to wait and hope that EVGA will solve this issue with a new BIOS. BTW, how high can you take the RAM at 1:1 1T?

PS: Hurricanes SUCK!!!

Back