eVGA thermal pads and using AS epoxy

javisaman

Limp Gawd
I was wondering if anyone knew where to get the thermal pads that are on the ramsinks as well as the voltage regulators the evga 8800gts. I'm using an after market cooler, but would like to get them just in case I need to replace it with the original. I ripped some of the thermal pads as I was removing the cooler.

Also I was wondering if it is safe to use AS epoxy on the voltage regulators as well as the IO chip. The heatsinks on them keep failing off. I would be using 50 % epoxy and 50% TIM.

Thanks

What you are looking for is called by the company that make it (Berquist) is Gap Pad.

Info on the material itself, it comes in several types and thickness with and wihtout adhesive.
http://www.bergquistcompany.com/tm_gap_pad_list.cfm

The scream you will next hear will be your wallet, do not be alarmed. You might can find it cheaper but not a lot. 100mm x 100mm sheets so one sheet cut to the sizes you need will be a lifetime supply. I leave the determination of exactly which flavor of the product to you, your in college, consider it extra credit. (really, I don't have that video card and have not handled the original pads so you have a better idea of the thickness required etc. All the details on this stuff are on the site so a little close reading should allow you to make a good decision, welcome to the School of Engineering. :eek: )

http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/results.jsp?N=1174

I am sure some overseas company makes this stuff too. BERGQUIST is top of the line stuff however, we used their thermal pads/products in our high reliability telecommunications equipment where I used to work.

I googled "gap pad" because I was aware of this stuff and just pasted in the first retail link I found that looked reasonable. By all means a deeper search might bring up cheaper alternatives.

Thermal pad
thermal spacer
adhesive thermal pad

Its absolutely fine to glue on the heat sinks to the power MOSFets with a 1/2 and 1/2 mix of thermal epoxy and thermal paste. The trick is in the application. It is important you get the stuff only where you want. Thin layer so it does not squish out when you apply the heatsink is the main thing. Masking off around the chip, with pieces of masking tape cut to size with a razor blade or exacto knife is a very good idea to make sure you don't get any on chip leads.

If you really are thinking about resusing the original cooler later on, the epoxy is a bad idea.
Try these.

Are there any cheaper alternatives? I'm going to email eVGA and see what they say (hey that rhymed!)

Also I realized the only reason I'd be putting on the original heatsink was if I need to RMA it for any reason. Would I need all the thermal pads in that case?

Back