Evga, where are the answers?

How wonderful!!!!

I was about to create my own thread to express my great experiences I've had with EVGA's RMA department, but it looks as if many people have the same idea I have. :rolleyes:

Here's my history. I began the RMA process for a 7900GT CO 3 weeks ago. EVGA didnt want to let a 7900GT out evidently, but after a lot of wrestling and several unanswered emails.....I got a replacement card.

Installed it today, and it's worse than the card it is replacing. That's right....they send me a broken card.

How magnificent! :rolleyes:

I will be sending the card back to them with this letter inside the box.

Hello,

I received my replacement RMA card today and it is actually artifacting worse than the card I have. Therefore, I am sending the card right back to you.

It took three weeks to receive the replacement and I commend you on the effort you obviously had to put forth to find a card worse than the one I have. There had to be quite a sense of accomplishment sweeping over the RMA department when you declared, ”We’ve found it! This is the card we will ship to a customer that has waited three weeks for a replacement!”

Your RMA service is pathetic.

I will be keeping the original card, and I am debating how many pieces I can smash it into on my concrete driveway.

Best of luck

btw
If I hear one more person talk about how excellent the EVGA RMA process is...im going to hurl. :eek:

foofighter06 said:
How wonderful!!!!

I was about to create my own thread to express my great experiences I've had with EVGA's RMA department, but it looks as if many people have the same idea I have. :rolleyes:

Here's my history. I began the RMA process for a 7900GT CO 3 weeks ago. EVGA didnt want to let a 7900GT out evidently, but after a lot of wrestling and several unanswered emails.....I got a replacement card.

Installed it today, and it's worse than the card it is replacing. That's right....they send me a broken card.

How magnificent! :rolleyes:

I will be sending the card back to them with this letter inside the box.

btw
If I hear one more person talk about how excellent the EVGA RMA process is...im going to hurl. :eek:

It is excellent. You are and have handled your self in a way to appease your ego rather than get a working card.

I had a similar experience with EVGA do to the issue with the 7900 series cards.

Being mature and having done my research I came to the conclusion that there was not a company in the world that could provide a 7900 that would not eventually fail.

I tried to put my self in the shoes of EVGA and decided that if I communicated to them that I was aware of the design issue and that while I was frustrated with the situation , I could empathize with regards to the inordinate amount of resources they would have to leverage in order to keep everyone happy. The individuals i dealt with appreciated the fact that I recognized they were not supernatural beings that could just click their fingers and make it all better.

Having acknlowdged that I conveyed to them that while I understood the situation , I did hold them responsible to protect my investment. The response i got was that they were willing to do a 24 hour burn in on my 3 and 4th rma card to replace my bad cards. That did solve my problem. Finally , i was then able to step up my 7900 to 7950s and all is well.

I guess my point is that by excepting the situation for what it is and then make the best of it , you will eventually get your issue resolved and then some. If you wish to remain unrealistic about a problem that has effected every manufactuer of this part , then you will allways remain bitter.

This issue affected all the suppliers and EVGA arguabley did the best job of addressing it for the vast majority of its customers.

Your letter will achieve nothing but alienate a company that can and will eventually rectify the issue. It may make you feel better but by not following the proper rma process and instead, by blindly sending back a card with a condecending letter, you may have cost yourself the price of a 7900 card that just might "get lost" in their shipping department

Just my .02

jacuzz1 said:
If you wish to remain unrealistic about a problem that has effected every manufactuer of this part , then you will allways remain bitter.

If a turnaround time quicker than 3 weeks is unrealistic, then running a RMA department must be the easiest job in the world.

I sent several emails over the three week period, and not once was I asked if I want my card burned in...or tested in certain games.

Why is that service only provided to some customers and not all? :confused:

And if u "feel" for the company after 4 RMA's...that sir, is sad. I dont have time to deal with 5 RMA's to get a single issue resolved. If their RMA department is so overburdened, they should save themselves some time and make sure they arent sending out defective RMA's. It's only going to hurt their overall efficiency while rectify their problems if they keep sending broken cards.

foofighter06 said:
If a turnaround time quicker than 3 weeks is unrealistic, then running a RMA department must be the easiest job in the world.

I sent several emails over the three week period, and not once was I asked if I want my card burned in...or tested in certain games.

I dont know my conversations with EVGA went along the lines of this after I told them that waiting that long was not a viable solution for me , "the issue is an enginering one that has been identified it is not affecting all of the cards and we are working closley with Nvidia to resolve it.

We will support you and continue to offer rma of your cards and pay shipping or you can sit tight and wait a few weeks until we have the newer cards. " That is pretty straignt forward.

The normal turn around for EVGA is 3 days, This is not a normal situation.

I choose to have them test cards they had till they found two good ones
that took a week. The responded favorabley because I spoke to them in thier language instead of send an email that most likely got lost in a virtual sea of emails they had recieved. I would venture they are still reading mail and have not even gotten to yours yet. Its like when a tornado hits, the phone lines get overwelmed. No company hires enough people to read email in case of a situation of this magnitude. If they did , your card would cost 800 dollars. Use the phone!!!

Shit happens..........get over it pick up the phone and calmly explain your delema. Tell them you would , under normal circumstances never buy from them again but you understand the magnitude of the problem given what has happened Industry wide. Ask them for suggestions as to how they could solve your problem and sit back and watch the magic.

Good luck ;)

foofighter06 said:

And if u "feel" for the company after 4 RMA's...that sir, is sad. I dont have time to deal with 5 RMA's to get a single issue resolved. If their RMA department is so overburdened, they should save themselves some time and make sure they arent sending out defective RMA's. It's only going to hurt their overall efficiency while rectify their problems if they keep sending broken cards.

To address your final words, You are missing the point.

I really do not "feel" for the company. I do however understand their limitations. I used Empathy as a manipulative tool without malice........... as all suppliers manipulate with marketing and therefore I remain on a strong moral footing inspite of my use of Guile

PS: Clean up that vomit Mister! :D

jacuzz1 said:
The responded favorabley because I spoke to them in thier language instead of send an email that most likely got lost in a virtual sea of emails they had recieved. I would venture they are still reading mail and have not even gotten to yours yet. Its like when a tornado hits, the phone lines get overwelmed. No company hires enough people to read email in case of a situation of this magnitude. If they did , your card would cost 800 dollars. Use the phone!!!

Shit happens..........get over it pick up the phone and calmly explain your delema. Tell them you would , under normal circumstances never buy from them again but you understand the magnitude of the problem given what has happened Industry wide. Ask them for suggestions as to how they could solve your problem and sit back and watch the magic.

Good luck ;)

LOL.

I spoke to them in their language too...I think...over the phone we seemed to communicate quite well.
In fact, twice they told me to call back after a couple hours. Which led to more dead ends.
Stuff did happen, and I did pick up the phone.

I've already come up with suggestions on solving my problems, and thankfully it doesnt involve emailing, or waiting on the phone with EVGA. ;)

http://www.ati.com/products/RadeonX1900/index.html

Just a quick update folks.

Before I had a chance to call to the RMA Dept I mentioned in my last post, I received an email from evga. It stated that my new card had shipped. Now, while that’s a good thing, it’s not great. Here's why; first, this time they shipped via 3 day select. Now, the first RMA came overnight (and was sent out the same day they received my fax). So from this I can make an educated guess that if I RMA again, they ship via ground......

Second, evga provides a "ship to" address and a "Billing" address on their cross-ship fax sheet. Since evga requires an adult signature for delivery I filled out the form so that they would deliver to my work address this time (where I'm busy re-making the money I spent on this junk card). Well, wouldn’t you know it- they shipped to my billing address instead. Oh joy. I had to run down the first ups truck because I wasn’t home to sign for the first RMA. Luckily I'm off for the holiday so I will be home when this card is scheduled to arrive this time.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.........

I think you got lucky on your first RMA with the shipping. Both of my EVGA RMAs have been via UPS 3 day shipping...

I received my first RMA about 10 days ago and it appeared to run fine. I ran the snow test in 3DMark06 for about 2 hours without issue.

Today, I run 3DMark06 and by the end everything is crazy. Artifacting at the Windows desktop, screen flickering every time I click on something... it's horrible. Tried going from 91.33 to 91.31 with no change.

Guess it's back to eVGA with this card.

I would really prefer to get a refund and pick up an X1800XT.

hello everyone. i wanted to know if the 7600gt suffers from the same design flaw? i am having problems with my 7600gt. evga says rma the card but after reading this thread, i am a little nervous.

btw child of wonder. i asked evga for a refund and they declined. :(

I don't see how they can "decline" a refund.

There is obviously a problem with the 7900 series of cards. They (nvidia and 3rd party distributers) know about it. I'm sure a class action lawsuit would change their tune.

Don't get me wrong, I like eVGA, but I think after an unsuccessful RMA, a buyer should be given the opportunity to receive a refund. What good is having a card if you have to spend 7-10 days every 2 weeks to replace it?

Would anyone accept a car company "declining" to take back a car if every engine blew up after 2 weeks of driving a certain model of car?

I spent a nice chunk of change for a video card to enjoy, not waste time RMAing over and over.

Child of Wonder said:
What good is having a card if you have to spend 7-10 days every 2 weeks to replace it?

Exactly.
3 weeks for 1 RMA?

Some people are having to go thru multiple RMA's.

Meanwhile....prices are dropping on cards, and I'm not able to play games.

New cards will be out(like the 7950) by the time they get this fixed and we've spent money on something we cant use.

In an industry where product cycles are 6months...3 week RMA's are unacceptable.

I can almost see the money going down the drain. :(

Exactly.

I think what would be fair is this:

If a card is faulty you have to RMA it at least once. That gives the company a chance to fix the problem. If the RMA card is also bad, you are then eligible for a refund. Send in the card and once they receive they'll test to verify it truly is a bad card. If it is, you get your money back. If not, you get another replacement card.

As things are, a person is paying for something they can't use.

Since my RMA card is bad I really don't feel like sending this card back and receiving a 3rd when the likelihood is high that it, too, would need to be shipped back ad infinitum.

Child of Wonder said:
Exactly.

I think what would be fair is this:

If a card is faulty you have to RMA it at least once. That gives the company a chance to fix the problem. If the RMA card is also bad, you are then eligible for a refund. Send in the card and once they receive they'll test to verify it truly is a bad card. If it is, you get your money back. If not, you get another replacement card.

As things are, a person is paying for something they can't use.

Since my RMA card is bad I really don't feel like sending this card back and receiving a 3rd when the likelihood is high that it, too, would need to be shipped back ad infinitum.

I have to agree here. I think that if a refund is what you wish , you should get it if your rma card also fails.

i had the luxury of a step up opportunity that resolved my problem. Had that opportunity not arose, i would have instructed my attorney to send a letter of intent requesting a full refund.

I have to laugh at the blue sticker eVGA put inside my 7900GT box. It says if your product is not working properly do not return it to the store but get an rma from them. If your card isn't working out of the box you can easily return it to the store for a refund so why would I go through the hassle of geting an rma through eVGA instead?

Gatticus said:
I have to laugh at the blue sticker eVGA put inside my 7900GT box. It says if your product is not working properly do not return it to the store but get an rma from them. If your card isn't working out of the box you can easily return it to the store for a refund so why would I go through the hassle of geting an rma through eVGA instead?

So the bad product goes back to them and they can resolve the issue. And, that way they keep the sale and don't lose the money.

jacuzz1 said:
I have to agree here. I think that if a refund is what you wish , you should get it if your rma card also fails.

i had the luxury of a step up opportunity that resolved my problem. Had that opportunity not arose, i would have instructed my attorney to send a letter of intent requesting a full refund.

What did you step up to?

I should be receiving my third EVGA 7900GT KO SC on Monday. I will be sure to post my results here. I called EVGA customer service and the rep was suprised that a replacement card had been shipped to me already. He indicated that the latest cards are going through more stringent testing. He had to go offline to see why I got a card in the mail so soon. When he came back, he said that the card they sent me had only been through a couple hours of tests, but it should be OK. He then reassured me that if I end up RMAing this third card, that the fourth would be sure to work. As far as I can tell, there are no physical changes on the new "batches" of 7900's. The vendors are simply testing them more thoroughly. What that testing consists of is a mystery.

I cannot get a refund, I cannot step up to a 7950, so RMA it is. Well, unless I get an unopened 7900GT KO SC again. In which case, I may sell it and buy something that works, like an X1900XT. I wil not use the step up feature casually ever again. It makes for a good insurance policy in the event that a card family is defective.

I have already cautioned many of my friends and co-workers that build computers about this issue. Nvidia has lost a lot of face in my eyes with this ongoing problem. I will think twice before buying any more of their products in the future.

phive0 said:
He then reassured me that if I end up RMAing this third card, that the fourth would be sure to work.

If you really think about it.....the fact that people are discussing 4 RMA's is absolutely, unequivocally, ludicrous.

Can you image a kid getting into computer games for the first time?

Gets a summer job....earns a lil bit of money....drops it on a new computer.....

Then runs into tons of problems the first time he loads up his favorite computer game.

The future of PC gaming is bleak if the younger population has to put up with crap like this.

It's hard enough to get a gaming setup ready to go with all the driver settings and other BS.

Well I just got my 7900GT KO Superclocked wednesday and I think I'm gonna have to RMA it. It wasn't secure in the box when I got it and the backplate was bent. It performs great in games but my monitor will randomly turn on and off. And sometimes it will turn off and stay off. And my system will lock/freeze up in games sometimes. At first it only turned off in games but now it's doing it while in windows, usually whenever I do anything that requires med/heavy video card usage. My 7800GT worked great in my rig, I had no problems at all. I thought going to a 7900GT would be great, but now I'm having some problems. I'm probably gonna RMA it, sell the new card and get an X1900XT. I'm done with nvidia until they can get their shit sorted out.

*UPDATE*
Just called evga tech support and they said it was a problem with my video card memory. He said it has been a common problem lately. So I submitted a new RMA, and should get one shipped to me as soon as they get them in. I was also told that they are getting a "Good Shipment" of cards from nvidia on wednesday that are suppossed to fix all the problems. They told me they would start shipping them wednesday after testing.

LittleMe said:
So the bad product goes back to them and they can resolve the issue. And, that way they keep the sale and don't lose the money.

Good for them but not so good for me. I see people are having to go through three or four RMA's. Screw that malarky. My 7900GT KO is failing Deep Freeze, screen goes black when I try to find optimal settings so it is a POS and goes back for a refund. Good thing I kept my ATI X800XL and didn't sell it or else I would be SOL.

foofighter06 said:
The future of PC gaming is bleak if the younger population has to put up with crap like this.

Console gaming isn't doing much better going by the number of Xbox 360 returns. The failure rate is just getting worse and worse as they try to get as much performance as possible out of marginal hardware. The fact that Microsoft only gave a 90 day warranty on the 360 says volumes. They better find some revolutionary technology soon or else it's game over if they expect us to pay big bucks for this shit. I hear DX10 cards are going to have massive power requirements for the first generation so I won't be buying any of that crap either.

According to eVGA RMA url, "If you did not purchase this product directly from EVGA, you must first try to contact your vendor for a replacement". Then why does it say on the blue sticker stuck inside my box not to contact the vendor but to contact eVGA instead? Also, how are you guys getting cross ship RMA when it ays this, "EVGA does not offer any form of cross-shipping"?

Gatticus said:
According to eVGA RMA url, "If you did not purchase this product directly from EVGA, you must first try to contact your vendor for a replacement". Then why does it say on the blue sticker stuck inside my box not to contact the vendor but to contact eVGA instead? Also, how are you guys getting cross ship RMA when it ays this, "EVGA does not offer any form of cross-shipping"?
http://www.evga.com/rma/default.asp

It sure does say that on their website. However, when you request an RMA online it surely provides the option to cross-ship. I have used this option twice so far. I can also vouch for the blue stickers in the box saying to contact EVGA if you have any problems.

The biggest catch for cross-shipment is that fact that a credit card is required. You must download an RMA form, fill it out and fax it in. If you don't return the old card to EVGA within 30 days, they charge you full MSRP for it. Perfectly reasonable, if you ask me.

I think the website needs to be updated...

foofighter06 said:
If you really think about it.....the fact that people are discussing 4 RMA's is absolutely, unequivocally, ludicrous.

I wholeheartedly agree.

So......is this thread just about eVGA and their problems????

I'd like to hear from others that have had to RMA their 7900 series cards.

What it seems to me from reading the whole thread is that the majority of the cards that fail are the 7900 GT series that have been greatly overclocked. Now, nVidia just has the chips manufactured......a second contractor makes the board and assembles the product for BFG or eVGA or whomever. Then its setup by the actual vendor.

It looks like eVGA is being too aggressive and their cards are breaking. I wouldnt be too quick to blame nVidia, obviously there are alot of 7900s out there that work just fine. There's a thread to that effect somewhere.

My BFGs have run perfectly out of the box and have been used pretty hard for the last 8 weeks. Although these are overclocked, it aint much compared to what eVGA has done. Its a shame that eVGA put out a product(s) that are just plain not performing as advertised. It's their fault not nVidia's. Its the same as JoeBobs Ford dealership modding a stock Mustang and then trying to blame Ford for producing a bad motor after they overcooked it.

magoo said:

What it seems to me from reading the whole thread is that the majority of the cards that fail are the 7900 GT series that have been greatly overclocked. Now, nVidia just has the chips manufactured......a second contractor makes the board and assembles the product for BFG or eVGA or whomever. Then its setup by the actual vendor.

It looks like eVGA is being too aggressive and their cards are breaking. I wouldnt be too quick to blame nVidia, obviously there are alot of 7900s out there that work just fine. There's a thread to that effect somewhere.

My BFGs have run perfectly out of the box and have been used pretty hard for the last 8 weeks. Although these are overclocked, it aint much compared to what eVGA has done. Its a shame that eVGA put out a product(s) that are just plain not performing as advertised. It's their fault not nVidia's. Its the same as JoeBobs Ford dealership modding a stock Mustang and then trying to blame Ford for producing a bad motor after they overcooked it.
well if you had actually read the whole thread you would know its NOT just overclocked cards having issues.

phive0 said:
http://www.evga.com/rma/default.asp

It sure does say that on their website. However, when you request an RMA online it surely provides the option to cross-ship. I have used this option twice so far. I can also vouch for the blue stickers in the box saying to contact EVGA if you have any problems.

The biggest catch for cross-shipment is that fact that a credit card is required. You must download an RMA form, fill it out and fax it in. If you don't return the old card to EVGA within 30 days, they charge you full MSRP for it. Perfectly reasonable, if you ask me.

I think the website needs to be updated...

OK, thx for the info. I do have the credit card but I can't print out the RMA form as I threw my crap printer in the garbage one day. :)

magoo said:

I agree and their have been a few stock clocked cards that have had issues too but that may be normal return rate. I've downclocked my 7900GT KO to stock 7900GT speeds and it runs 3DMark06 Deep Freeze fine now so yes it is because of their overclocking for the most part and Nvidia is not to blame. But the damage is done now and it will cost Nvidia too I expect.

Im thinking of downlcocking my card via a tool to alter the video cards bios and not bothering RMA'ing it. I'll find its highest stable clock via software and then flash the bios to those settings. I've never srewed around with the bios on a video card so am not sure if I want to do it as I may screw the pooch.

I had the "three week" turnaround for cross-shipment too. The 7900GT I got seems to be working fine, the second I verified it working I slapped on ramsinks, waterblock and another big sink on the back of the card to cover the volt regs etc. The card seems to be running fine but I don't have my fingers crossed, I submitted a step-up request which from the purchase date of the original 7900 should be approvable (4/6) I guess it's 7950 for me whether I like it or not. I'd rather not be out my computer for 3 weeks at a time everytime the card fails (which sounds almost like a garaunteed thing). Funny though, in the queue I'm #314 and the line is moving at a crawling rate, seems I'm one of the many pissed off 7900->7950 upgraders.

To sell the 7900 on ebay might fetch ~<$250 if lucky, the upgrade to say a x1900xt would cost about $100-150 versus the upgrade to 7950 for $300...

Well, I got my third 7900GT KO SC in the mail today. Guess what?

It is broken just like the other two....

THIRD RMA in process.

Does anyone know a good lawyer?

I guess I must be extremely fortunate. I had an EVGA 7800 GT CO that was bad out of the box. Did and RMA on it and got back a brand spanking new one that was flawless. When the 7900's hit I did a Step Up to a 7900 GT CO Superclocked for 30 bucks. I put a Arctic Cooling NV5 Silencer on it and have been running it daily @ 570 Core 1720 Memory since March 28th with zero issues.

phive0: You must have some horrible luck. Sorry to hear about all your problems, have you tried getting a hold of a somebody high up in the company?

LittleMe said:
phive0: You must have some horrible luck. Sorry to hear about all your problems, have you tried getting a hold of a somebody high up in the company?
There are many others that have had more RMA's than myself...

I feel sorry for those who purchased two cards for SLI and are having this problem.

I just got off the phone with EVGA tech support. Those guys are taking a beating. I spoke with someone named Jeff who forwarded my call to someone "upstairs". The phone rang and rang for several minutes. When it was finally picked up, another Customer support guy was on the line.

No answers beyond the statement that they will be testing new cards much more thoroughly.

I sincerely hope they send a new in the box card to me. I will sell it without ever breaking the shrink wrap...

Back