EVGA x58 Classified

MFDOOM1

Limp Gawd
I was wondering if there has been any reviews on this mobo? Have not found any yet which is odd? Plus anybody planning on getting this beast?! Was wondering about it myself but the new skull trail i7 is also coming out soon and well that would be huge!:eek:
Any info on this thing would be awesome.

I plan on building a machine myself out of the Classified. There's a lot of info and new/upgraded systems over at the EVGA forums.

I've got one, and have just done a test bootup so far, which worked fine. However, I am putting together two new wc setups for my processor and cards, and with all the overtime I am working this week, It will be a bit before I really get to stress them all.

Mine arrives by UPS tomorrow.
I'll have it up this weekend.
There is a preview-review on Anandtech.
There are a bunch of guys on the EVGA forums that have them......but they are very new and there have been NO formal reviews of the final retail version out yet.

I'll have some pictures and stuff available this weekend if the thing isn't DOA......(my first EVGA X58 SLI arrived DOA....)

Last edited:
Dear Kevin,
EVGA is happy to announce that your Step-Up product, 141-BL-E759-A1 *SN* is ready for processing.

:D

Yay.

Mine arrived from my step-up last Thursday. I'm only doing air cooling at the moment. I only have my 920 up to 3.4Ghz with Speedstep, HT, Turbo, Virtualization all enabled. Currently at 1.3V with Vdroop enabled. Its 20-pass LinX and 4-hour prime stable. So far I like it. This is my first i7 build, so I'm still learning a bit. Haven't had any major problems with it so far. Just some minor overclocking related quirks.

The step-up cost me about the same as buying Asus P6T6 would have cost me. I bought my X58 SLI from Ebay through buy.com when the 25% Live Cashback was going on.

And yes... I got it to fit in my P182SE case ;)

Last edited:
Nice! I only got 13% back, but I did get a $20MIR on top of that. I am considering stepping up to a classified, but I am still on the fence. I don't plan on running any kind of SLI or crossfire in the future. So, the benefits of this board, to me, would just be the higher clocks people seem to get with this board.

I'm going to build a fully loaded up Classified, with four GTX285 single slot water blocks. My question is whether the EVGA Killer NIC is any good, which means that I would need a PCI sound card, like the Auzentech Prelude. Otherwise, I'm also kind of lost with PCI-E sound cards. I'm sure the Auzentech Forte is good, but is it as good as an X-Fi ? And the Xonar.. is kind of weird having an Asus sound card in an EVGA machine, and I ear Xonar's implementation within Vista and its EAX are bad.

I would buy one of these for $85 long before I ever bought an overpriced killer nic.

http://www.intel.com/products/server/adapters/pro1000pt/pro1000pt-overview.htm

Also, you have PCIe room for a sound card and a NIC in the classified, unless you are using one of those slots for a dedicated physx (e.g. 9600GT+), which you didn't mention.

EDIT: There is a desktop version of the same Intel NIC for only $45 "EXPI9300PT" versus the server "EXPI9400PT"
http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/adapters/pro1000pt/pro1000pt-overview.htm

Last edited:
I'm going to build a fully loaded up Classified, with four GTX285 single slot water blocks. My question is whether the EVGA Killer NIC is any good, which means that I would need a PCI sound card, like the Auzentech Prelude. Otherwise, I'm also kind of lost with PCI-E sound cards. I'm sure the Auzentech Forte is good, but is it as good as an X-Fi ? And the Xonar.. is kind of weird having an Asus sound card in an EVGA machine, and I ear Xonar's implementation within Vista and its EAX are bad.

I don't think nvidia supports quad-sli for 285s...

Triple sli and a physX card is what was technically being referred to..nope, 4x285's won't fit. The physx will have to be a single slot such as a 9800GT..

Triple sli and a physX card is what was technically being referred to..nope, 4x285's won't fit. The physx will have to be a single slot such as a 9800GT..

He did say that he was going to use single slot waterblocks on the GTX 285s.

i was thinking a tri sli setup with GTX 280 with water blocks and then a 9800GT with a water block too, that way they stay all cool and then my x-fi elite pro with a nic card in the pci-1x slot. That would be sweet.

Last edited:

My water blocks came in .. and it will fit.. all the 285s are genuine single slots now, with single slot covers.... they fit back to back... along with a sound card and the deciated nic.. no problem... you can see my Asus P6T6 Rev build, where the video cards will be transferred to the Classified. I have other plans for the Asus.

Last edited:

Nope.. I engage in CUDA most of the time, and when gaming calls, it'll be tri sli, but all four video cards will be put to very good use. I trust that a 285 would have no objections with physx duties, and this will supplement an Asus P6T6 Rev which will switch over to 295s. The machine is in the build log section.. and those pics need to be updated.. very soon.

Last edited:
Lol, isn't it a bit of an overkill to use 285 for physx? :D

Its for Folding@Home.. actually they all are, but I trust a 285 won't choke while on Physx duties lol

Nothing breeds success like excess, and I'm usually on XS :)

Last edited:
I would buy one of these for $85 long before I ever bought an overpriced killer nic.

http://www.intel.com/products/server/adapters/pro1000pt/pro1000pt-overview.htm

Also, you have PCIe room for a sound card and a NIC in the classified, unless you are using one of those slots for a dedicated physx (e.g. 9600GT+), which you didn't mention.

EDIT: There is a desktop version of the same Intel NIC for only $45 "EXPI9300PT" versus the server "EXPI9400PT"
http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/adapters/pro1000pt/pro1000pt-overview.htm

Thanks so much for the recommendation.

Actually, even though the prices are reasonable, I think I'll forgo the dedicated NIC for now. I find my need for this pretty dubious because I'm a lousy gamer and generally don't have much time for online gaming, or mess with my computers till I get home late every night lol :)

My Classified arrived yesterday.
So far all I've been able to do is re-grease the heatsink and POST it up.

No problems in assembly so far. BIOS is vast.....gonna take me a while to get through it.

NB runs a little hot......55C at idle WITH a small fan strapped to the HS. I'm gonna remove the HS again and reapply my Noctura whatever and see if that helps.

The original paste was plastered on like wallboard spackle.

My Classified arrived yesterday.

Did you pick it up from Newegg or did you get it directly from EVGA?

I’m in the process of gathering parts for my i7 build. The i7 950 that I plan on using hasn’t shown up yet but I’m thinking of buying the mobo and RAM ahead of time.

Any thoughts on using this RAM with the Classified –

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226050

ASUS Rampage Extreme BIOS 1104
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
OCZ Intel Extreme Edition 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
EVGA GTX 280 FTW (185.66)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
WD VelociRaptor 150GB – XP Pro 64 Bit/SP2
WD VelociRaptor 300GB – FSX/FS9
WD VelociRaptor 150GB - Vista Ultimate 64 Bit/SP2 RC
WD VelociRaptor 300GB – Games/Programs
PC Power & Cooling T1KWSR 1000W
LIAN LI PC-A70B

ASUS Rampage Formula BIOS 0803
Intel Core 2 Duo E8600 w/Thermalright Ultra-120 eXtreme
OCZ Titanium XTC 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
ATI 4870X2 (Catalyst 9.3)
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty
2x Western Digital Raptor 74GB (RAID 0) - Vista Ultimate 64 Bit/SP2 RC
SILVERSTONE 1200Watt DA
SILVERSTONE TJ09-B

These are going to be fitted with single slot waterblocks, and then going on a EVGA Classified (no NIC yet).

DSCN7447.jpg

These are going to be fitted with single slot waterblocks, and then going on a EVGA Classified (no NIC yet).

DSCN7447.jpg

GTX 285 for physx only ?
Looks great but i would go with a 9600/9800gt, wich is more than enough for physx.
I'm still not sure what to choose for the 4th pci-e slot, a physx card or a raid card ?
Hope to see some tests with tri-sli and with and without physx card soon !

The fourth card isn't just for Physx. In fact none of the video cards are meant for SLI. The fact that they are there is good for gaming.

I'm a folder. The more video cards, the better. If I had space and a proper PSU, I'll squeeze in six of them. Or use riser cards and go for six 295s. But it won't work.

whoa props on 4 gtx285 for folding, however just read article on guru3d.Wow! is all i can say 4.2 o.c. on just air cool wont be surprised to see 5ghz on H20 Cool. Amazing per say, but tempted to wait for nehalem skull trai since i do a lot of rendering. Imagine if Evga released a version of their own, would be fantastic!

yeah with their own "classified" 285's work in 4way sli

but i think you can run yours for folding, just not in SLI, just as 4 individual cards

Back