evga680i / 2gb mushkin memory

defuseme2k

[H]ard|Gawd
This is an ongoing, odd problem. I am at a loss with this thing. I tried loading the latest bios revision, p28, and after that the system wouldn't boot anymore after resetting the memory to the specified timings and voltage. For the record, I have an e6600, currently not oc'd, an evga 680i motherboard, and 2gb of mushkin performance memory... if needed I can get the model of the memory.

I use vista ultimate, and everything was going great until my whole computer would lock up, and the screen would go black. Then three seconds later it would come back, seeming to work normally for a few more minutes. I didn't know what was going on. I also saw video tearing. I tried a second gpu, same result. It was doing it often enough it made the computer barely useable. Then one day I came home from work to the loudest most annoying beep. The led readout on the systemboard suggested it was a memory problem. So I pulled one dimm, and it still woudln't start up, same beep. I replaced that dimm with the other, and it started up fine. Also all my other problems went away. For WEEKS.

Now I have the same problem, still on that lone memory dimm (long story on why its not replaced), but anyway, my entire computer would freeze. The screen would go black coming back moments later. I was pissed. I started the computer up, thinking it was memory problem and memtest ran for a solid hour, with no errors. Then I decided I might try the latest bios revsion. I flashed it, and then went back into the bios and changed the memory voltage, speeds, and timing back to the factory recommended. No other changes. Reboot.... to nothing. No beeps, just silent. To get it to work I've had to clear the cmos. I am typing this out on the computer in question, but with the memory below rated frequency, timing, and voltage. The screen isn't blinking yet...

Thanks for any ideas.

the RAM might have some kind of compatibility problem with your motherboard. Or it's just defective ram. Since changing the settings makes it work, to me it points to a settings problem of some kind.

Likely you'll just have to experiment with timings, voltages, etc till you get it stable.

Ok, I have the same problem sometimes, I have an BFG 680i w/ 2 gigs of crucial ballistix 4-4-4-12@DDR2800 w/2.2v. Removing one dimm to boot so I could adjust voltages would work sometimes when I'd have to flash the bios. Amazingly, sometimes it wouldn't, so I'd throw the dimms in a ziploc bag in the freezer. After about 5 mins I would take them out and install one at a time until she'd boot. Plus, my ram is now underclocked running 2.25 volts. I'm not really sure, but it might droop a bit just like the volts going to the cpu do.

I'd try that, after the flash, freeze the ram (in a ziploc bag, moisture is a no go), boot with one stick, change just the voltage, shutdown, add the other stick, then boot her up. Try a slight over volt, too.

my .02

Back