EVO Freeze Issue

cstillman

n00b
I've run into a issue I've never encountered before with my system or any for that matter. So I'm looking for suggestions.

System Specifications are as follows...

ASUS P8P67 EVO: (Bios 1204; all default except; disabled JMicro/Marvel/Serial & Ram Timings)
Intel Core i7-2600K (stock)
Thermaltake Frio Cooler
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL7D-8GBXH (7-8-7-24)
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB (In Sata6)
EVGA GTX 580 (stock)
SeaSonic X650 Gold 650W

Fresh Win7 install with all the drivers Gary has posted. Nothing is missing in Management. In Win7 Power Scheme I've disabled everything. I've installed the KB979444 hotfix.

Ok now my issue:

If I leave my system idle downloading any large file 5g+ it freezes after 2 hours & 38 mins like clockwork and full USB power down. It can be downloading from HTTP, from my network, from Steam anywhere.

Now if I leave it idle without a download going NP 24 hour + up time consistently. If I leave it idle with any program running NP no freeze (as long as it isn't a DL of a sort).

What I've tried:

1) I've auto'd the memory timings ( 9-9-9-24 1333hrz)
2) I've tried both lan ports while disabling the other
3) I've tried disabling c1 c3 c6 speedstep & PLL
4) Prime95 Torture test 12hrs NP
5) Mem+ Test NP
6) CoreTemp reports about 44c under full load
7) Disabled all Win7 power save features
8) And I'm sure I've tried other things I just can't remember.

What I can do:

I've installed some apps to see what I can do and I can run I.E. an MMO, Pandora, Browser, Steam (downloading), Mumble (active), Vent (active) & HTTP DL while accessing a network resource indefinitely & consistently 12 hours+ NP.

But...

If I shut all those programs down and let the system idle with HTTP, NETWORK, Steam download going in 2 hours and 38 mins like clock work freeze with full USB power down.

Now I know the obvious answer to my problem is just to keep something else running with my programs but that is unacceptable and this error is annoying me. I would really like to get around to OC'ing this CPU but I want stability first. So any suggestion you smart guys and gals have for me please let me know and thank you for your time.

Hey Gary,
I tried to respond to your PM question but I get "To be able to send PMs your post count must be 15 or greater." and I'm only at 2...

But I do receive your PM's if you want to PM me a address to send you my info at. I appreciate you trying to assist me too.

I've had this exact same problem (full USB power down, no signal to monitors), although I didn't leave any downloads going (just had my IM app running).

P8P67 standard - 1204 BIOS
i5-2500k stock clocks
8 GB ADATA DDR3-1600 @ 1333 (2x4GB)
MSI GTX 560 Ti
Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W

Last edited:
Ya, I still haven't figured out anything to solve this. I've probably tried a few dozen new things since I've posted this outside or re-seating everything. I'm hoping the new bios coming out on Monday will fix it, but doubt it.

Back