Exchange 07 - Appending 'User name' in from section of emails

tgabe213

2[H]4U
We use a ticketing application called Helpspot. A quick rundown is that is scrubs our support inbox, automatically creates tickets from those emails, etc. The application sends out emails using one of our exchange servers. The problem that I THINK I'm having is that when the email goes out, it's automatically appending '94 - Operations Supprt' to the From section of the emails. This is the name associated with the email address that is being used to send emails from.

Here are some of the email settings: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2702/4325460464_9b778d4fae_o.png
Notice 'Account Name'. That should be appending whoever is assigned the ticket in the From section with 'Operations Support'. I have no doubt that it is probably doing it, but I'm wondering if that is getting overwritten when it passes through our exchange server.

Here's what everyone else sees when they recieve an email. It should say 'Operations Support (Tim)' in the From section:http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2756/4324738755_d6f0311a15_o.png

Is this a mail enabled public folder or a full user mailbox (operation account)

Hmm, I'm not sure. It's an account that was created, and the 3 of us add it to our outlook profile.

You should be able to go into the mailbox properties and change the display name that the GAL sees

it sounds like you want the name in the "From" to change based on the recipient of said email?

it sounds like you want the name in the "From" to change based on the recipient of said email?

Negative. Our ticket application uses our smtp server to send out emails, and it's trying to send them out so it says From: Operations Support (##NAME##), except I think that exchange is overriding this setting and auto inserting the name of the account that the email address is associated with.

Negative. Our ticket application uses our smtp server to send out emails, and it's trying to send them out so it says From: Operations Support (##NAME##), except I think that exchange is overriding this setting and auto inserting the name of the account that the email address is associated with.

I can't see the pics (flickr blocked by webfiltering), so I'm kinda guessing...

(##NAME##) is the name of the recipient the email is going to?
that's still what I'm gathering... the ticket app sends an email with (##NAME##), which would then be changed to the name of the person receiving said ticket, and that same name is applied to the name within the FROM line on the email that person receives.

or do you mean that when the scrub happens and a ticket is created, an email is sent to the Requestor, where the FROM line should be the name of the person the ticket was assigned to?

or maybe I'm just completely misunderstanding something? :confused:

Just a random thought, why not make the From say "Operation Support"

Then have (Tim) ticket description in the subject line?

That will be far easier than researching exchange issues

ok.... looking at those pictures, it looks like you are trying to do what I originally stated (sorta kinda).

You want the name in the FROM line to include the name of the person the ticket was assigned to, which is a variable.

I'm pretty sure there's no way in Exchange to allow a, basically, wild-card that can be modified by the "mail-client"

putting the (##NAME##) in the Subject line will probably be your best bet.

unless you are truely using an SMTP/POP3 setup, and not Exchange. Since the "FROM" name is based on the email client in a POP3/SMTP setup.

It is our ticketing application that is generating the emails, thus it is able to insert the first name of whomever is assigned to the ticket. It's sending them from [email protected]. It should be showing up in the 'From' section of the emails as 'Operations Support (Tim)', but by the time it hits the users inbox it shows '94 - Operations Support', which is the name associated with that email address.

Try hiding operation support from the global address book.

Client outlook should not see the address information at that point anymore and hopefully see your ticketing system from address

Try hiding operation support from the global address book.

Client outlook should not see the address information at that point anymore and hopefully see your ticketing system from address

Looks like there is no compromise. We need to keep our address in the global address book.

Back