Exchange WinXP 32 bit for WinXP 64 bit for cost of shipping

not worth the things you're going to lose upgrading windows. x64 isn't ready yet, as far as I'm concerned.

edit: didn't see that it was final.

Yeah, plus its only on preinstalls.....how many people who are really interested in 64 bit computing buy prebuilt systems anyway?

Why not let me trade my full XP Pro disk for XP 64?

From what I understand its NOT only pre-installs. The thing I read from them said ANY legit XP PROFESSIONAL can be upgraded. Not just pre-installs. I think this pre-installs only thing is just for now.

<Mortal Kombat Announcer>

DECLINED!!!

</Mortal Kombat Announcer>

Anyone who actually manages to get their copy accepted for this, let us know.

You are allowed to upgrade your full liscense - just input your Product ID code.

If you pre-built, then you follow the "link at the right"

Orders for the Technology Advancement Program must be placed by July 31, 2005.

Kevin Lowe said:
<Mortal Kombat Announcer>

DECLINED!!!

</Mortal Kombat Announcer>

Anyone who actually manages to get their copy accepted for this, let us know.
I don't get the negativity. Exchanging your (legit) copy of XP Pro for 64-bit isn't that hard.....

jebo_4jc said:
I don't get the negativity. Exchanging your (legit) copy of XP Pro for 64-bit isn't that hard.....

My copy's legit. My fiancee's OEM copy is also legit. Tried both. Neither works.

You were saying?

You are using XP Pro, right?

What's the reasoning given?

jebo_4jc said:
You are using XP Pro, right?

What's the reasoning given?

Invalid PID. And yeah, it's XP Pro.

jonw: Somehow, I don't think my boss would be very understanding if I were to help myself to a copy from the MSDN subscription. ;)

Kinda sketchy, I put in some garbage data and got back:
Ineligible Purchase Date

I put in the "Product ID" from my work PC and a fake purchase date (as I have no idea what the original date was/is). It takes me to a form, which asks for my credit card, and has a note "Credit Card will not be charged until product ships."

You can get your "Product ID" from right-clicking on the "My Computer" icon.
Something like: 12345-123-1234567-12345

Nowhere on the first page does it say anything about having the credit card charged .. is it for shipping or something else, who the hell knows.

*edit*
emailed microsoft [email protected] doubt I'll get a responce.

vbrtrm said:
Nowhere on the first page does it say anything about having the credit card charged .. is it for shipping or something else, who the hell knows.
It said you needed to pay shipping......

jebo_4jc said:
Exchanging your (legit) copy of XP Pro for 64-bit isn't that hard.....
Apparently, I stand corrected.
I wonder what the problem is.

Could you guys be confusing the CD-key with the Product I.D. Number?
They are 2 different numbers, you know.

See vbrtman's post
You can get your "Product ID" from right-clicking on the "My Computer" icon.
Something like: 12345-123-1234567-12345

It's only for prebuilt, pre installed PC's with a 64bit chip in them.

Microsoft knows that my dell desktop doesn't have a 64bit chip in it.

I will try again with the nex XEONs that just came in. but i won't hold my breath.

QM

Order Summary

Order Number: X0001xxx
Product Ordered
Product Description: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional Edition
<snip>
Payment Information
Payment Type: MasterCard

Dunno why it doesn't say x64 but oh well.
Worked with a Dell Dimension with a 64-bit chip without a problem.
Looks like I was within the first 2000 to order.

In order to be eligible to receive Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition, your computer must have BEEN ORDERED between March 31, 2003 and July 31, 2005 with Microsoft Windows® XP Pro (32 Bit) PREINSTALLED.

Didn't you guys read that part? Just like I said before. Good luck getting this upgrade for free if you actually paid for XP pro separately.

I guess their update policy makes sense. You buy a 64-bit computer with a crippled 32-bit OS, you should be able to go to 64-bits for free. If you buy a XP Pro copy by itself, how does Microsoft know you didn't put it on a 32-bit system and are asking for the 64-bit to install on your new computer?

Worked for me.

I have a Dell that I bought last August, and all I did was put in the date I ordered it, as well as the #'s under the bar code, entered all my information, and it was accepted. :)

lol I won't even be able to use it though, I think, because I don't have a 64-bit processor yet...

serbiaNem said:
If you buy a XP Pro copy by itself, how does Microsoft know you didn't put it on a 32-bit system and are asking for the 64-bit to install on your new computer?

'cause this will invalidate the old product key. No more 32 bit windows.

i just tried my legit win xp pro key that came with my abs about 4 years ago. yes i fudged the order date. and it worked i went all the way to the order page, did that and then it says this.

We are unable to process your request at this time. Please try again. If you continue to experience difficulty please email customer service at [email protected]

grrrrr! i want me free x64 copy, otherwise i will be forced to get it otherwise or try to use the serial #s from my schools PCs lol

cefoskey said:
Didn't you guys read that part? Just like I said before. Good luck getting this upgrade for free if you actually paid for XP pro separately.
If you built your PC yourself or have purchased it through a system builder, you can make the exchange through the link to the right.
Didn't you read that part? geez........:rolleyes:

March 31, 2003- I don't think even the P4F (4F, tee hee- any military folk here?) was available yet, was it? Back then I think it was K8 only, so no Dell unless you've got a 4F or 600.

This is rediculous. They're keeping the 64bit edition from the only people who would really want it. It's like they're giving pixie stix to a diabetic. Anyone that's qualified to get it, wouldn't have a use for it. And the majority of those who buy prebuilts have no desire to move to a 64bit os.

Baiting do-it-yourselfers like this is just asking for people to download illegal copies. Jackasses...

PS. - Has anyone tried converting a not legit copy? I'd like to see what happens, heh.

for those of you having problems and have a prebuilt computer... like say a laptop. try entering in the certificate of authenticity number from the holographic sticker. it worked for me and it was a xp home.

thats the link i tried and it gave me that msg. i guess ill wait a few hours and try it again. i want my free x64!!

jebo_4jc said:
Didn't you read that part? geez........:rolleyes:

shaoyeh said:
for those of you having problems and have a prebuilt computer... like say a laptop. try entering in the certificate of authenticity number from the holographic sticker. it worked for me and it was a xp home.
Add me to the list, it worked. (Pending, but fingers crossed.) Even more fun in my case, since I originally rejected the EULA and got a refund for my XP license. :D I installed my LEGIT XP Pro license, but still kinda funny...

So what about us Beta testers? I have been running it for 4 months now, I wonder if they will cut us a deal? It's supposed to expire in 360 days.

I'm gonna guess not... Sorry! The beta program was free, what's their incentive? Where do they make money out of it?

iam gonna call them and get this done over the phone. iam on hold currently ...... :( i hope i can get this done over the phone. at least the music is decent to listen to... :p

chronic9 said:
iam gonna call them and get this done over the phone. iam on hold currently ...... :( i hope i can get this done over the phone. at least the music is decent to listen to... :p

Don't bother. I just got off the phone with them - they had to ask me where the webpage was, then walked me through it over the phone, just to see the error message I told them about at the beginning of the call.

And the music is crap. Though it's not as bad as Apple's hold music. I still have nightmares about it....

I was able to exchange both my copies. All I did was input the PID (and 1 PC is only an AXP not an A64) and it took me straight to the billing page.

i had some decent jazz. yeh, the same thing happened to me. i want my x64 already! i wonder why it doesnt work for me. i asked the cust. rep and she told me that only OEM keys can be used in this process. My key is OEM.

$$$$$-OEM-@@@@@@@-#####

EDIT: a small articale about x64 in PCworld - http://www.pcworld.com/news/article/0,aid,120559,tk,dn042505X,00.asp

Kevin Lowe said:
Don't bother. I just got off the phone with them - they had to ask me where the webpage was, then walked me through it over the phone, just to see the error message I told them about at the beginning of the call.

And the music is crap. Though it's not as bad as Apple's hold music. I still have nightmares about it....

i dont even have windows xp pro (just home edition) and i was able to get through to the billing information. i also have a oem version of windows because i built my own computer. do you think i can get my home edition exchanged for a 64 bit pro edition?

i got passed the billing stage, went to the confirm page, submitted and bam. that msg!! grrr

I got my copy of WinXP from a trade show, one of those deals that came with the BIll Gates bobble head and baseball and the XP for free. I just traded it in for the x64 :)

Back