Expanding linux partition size

CoW]8(0)

[H]ard|Gawd
Does anyone have recommendations of how I can increase the size of my linux partition?

I have a Windows 7 partition (NTFS) and a Linux partition (ext4).

Best thing to do IMO is delete windows.

Honestly... Windows really hates to be resized, chances are even with gparted you're looking at a reinstall. At the very least you are tempting fate like a young child with a candy bar ;)

That said, I'll save my "exactly why windows sucks" rant for another time :D

Honestly... Windows really hates to be resized, chances are even with gparted you're looking at a reinstall. At the very least you are tempting fate like a young child with a candy bar ;)

agreed on the windows hates being resized. I would expect to have to reinstall. Otherwise, gparted usually does the trick.

Would fsarchiver stand a chance? I hate having to restore everything just to make my hard drive space more efficient.

any reason not to create a share folder from the ntfs side (linux reads ntfs pretty easily)?

@Cow -- it's windows not having a "plays well with others" feature, nothing to do with gparted at all.

Gparted can't seem to extend my ext4 partition after I resized the NTFS volume:

|--NTFS Recovery space (100MB)--||--Windows 7 space (250GB)--||--Unallocated Space (250GB)--||--Linux Partition (100GB)--||--Swap (4GB)--|

Gparted still tells me the maximum size of my ext4 partition is 100GB. It can't seem to see the preceding unallocated space.

Anyone have an idea what the issue is?

I had issues back during the xp days, but since vista...well, ok...7/2008 windows resizes just fine. Never had an issue.

I would just format that extra 250 as ntfs as a shared drive. do you really have 100+ gb in linux only software/data?

I've had good luck with gparted even with Windows, so I say it's worth a shot, just backup anything that's important, just in case.

Shrinking windows can be tricky though, it's hard to get the new siding to match properly with the rest of the house.

CoW]8(0);1037984598 said:
Gparted can't seem to extend my ext4 partition after I resized the NTFS volume:

|--NTFS Recovery space (100MB)--||--Windows 7 space (250GB)--||--Unallocated Space (250GB)--||--Linux Partition (100GB)--||--Swap (4GB)--|

Gparted still tells me the maximum size of my ext4 partition is 100GB. It can't seem to see the preceding unallocated space.

Anyone have an idea what the issue is?

Solved the issue. I had to resize the extended partition before I could resize the logical partition.

Windows hates resizing? coulda fooled me.. I end up resizing about a dozen systems every week that had failed hard drives which I image to a new drive, boot, gpart resize, boot again and while sure chkdsk runs twice during that because it knows the file system is dirty now, never has it caused a problem. XP, Vista & 7.

Back