Exploring Slot1 Overclocking

I came across an old PIII 500mhz slot1 processor and motherboard. I have been doing a little research on this board and processor and it turns out that I have an Asus P2B-VT. It appears from looking at the BIOS that it was an old HP at some point in its life. I am currently downloading the most recent BIOS from Asus for the board as per this article on overclockers.com. I am trying to figure out how to flash the BIOS though without having windows or a floppy drive in my computer. Is there some way to boot into DOS from a CD? Can you even make DOS boot CDs? If you can I could potentially use the DOS flash tool on the ASUS website but otherwise I will need to find another way of doing it.

Yes you can make a DOS cd, but you'll need access to a computer with a floppy drive..

Put whatever files you need on the DOS floppy and use Nero to create a bootable CD. Point it to the floppy for the source of command.com..

Make sure to put some files on the data portion of the disc, even just as filler or some drives won't boot from it.

I've flashed several PC's like this/.

So somehow I need to have a floppy drive? Because right now none of my computers have floppy drives in them. Yes, I know this is not a good thing, but its how it is...I will work on getting one i guess unless there is a way to make due with a flash drive.

Check your PM's..

Don't know about a flash drive access from DOS but Ive got another idea..

with something that old, you probably won't be able to boot from a flash. hell half the newer motherboards i've come across can't even do this, although it's been about a year since i've had a "modern" board so i'm not sure if it's gotten better.

and yes you can make a bootable cd and no you don't need a floppy. the other poster with nero had the right idea but you don't need a floppy. you can just tell it to use an image file for the boot portion. goto www.bootdisk.com and there you can find tons of images. winimage is a great tool for fiddling with images. good luck :)

Back