Extending wifi signal - what do I need

elleana

2[H]4U
I have a wifi deadzone in my house where the signal is very weak. The whole house is wired up with cat 6 cable, including the bedroom where the deadzone is.

Ideally I'd like to be able to extend the wifi network such that there is a seamless transition when moving between rooms, without the need for having a separate network. To do this should I get a range extender or a router in bridge mode? My main wireless router is a R7000 - do I therefore need another R7000 or will any model do?

I'll say it before everyone else does. The Ubiquiti Unifi Access Point would be the best bet for this. You could install two of these, one where you wifi base currently resides, and one in or near the deadzone and turn on the wifi in your current router. The Unifi's support handing-off devices seamlessly from AP to AP so there's no dropout when you transition.

Also worth saying that the Unifi products have excellent range and you may find that just one strategically placed may give excellent coverage over the whole house.

I'll say it before everyone else does. The Ubiquiti Unifi Access Point would be the best bet for this. You could install two of these, one where you wifi base currently resides, and one in or near the deadzone and turn on the wifi in your current router. The Unifi's support handing-off devices seamlessly from AP to AP so there's no dropout when you transition.

Also worth saying that the Unifi products have excellent range and you may find that just one strategically placed may give excellent coverage over the whole house.

Retro for the win.

Same thing was recommended to me. Just a quick note, there are two of them, a standard and a Long Range version.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
If you need 2.4 and 5 GHz signals then the pro is the one to get. The AC one still has some issues and is slowly getting better but does no support zero handoff yet.

Back