Extending Wireless Range

RedLegos

n00b
I have a Netgear router and a Netgear access point currently set up in my room on the 2nd floor. It reaches the room blow me just fine and across the house with a decent to low signal, but I think it's mostly because of the phone interference in that room. I want to be able to reach the basement on the opposite side of the house. Netgear sells a 5dbi add on antenna and says it can reach 790 meters outdoors. Does anyone have any experience with a more powerful antenna and would this work? Any other ideas to get my wireless to reach? Thanks

An add-on antenna should be your primary goal. They solve many problems, and if your signal strength is less than stellar, will likely improve your speed dramatically. However, your house may be laid out in an unusual way, with concrete, telephones, wiring, etc causing difficulty, in which case a wireless range extender would be your best option. DLink makes a great one, one that I have deployed on a professional level to correct problems similar to what you are experiencing.
http://dlink.com/products/?pid=267

Back