External IDE->USB HDD won't work on 64 bit systems, help!

Kabob

2[H]4U
I've got an older 500 GB Western Digital IDE hard drive inside of a Maxtor inclosure. It works fine on my wife's and my father in law's computers (with 32 bit Vista and 32 bit Win7 respectively) but it will not work on my nor my brother in law's 64 bit Win7 machines.

Any idea why? Any way around this?

I'm guessing it's a driver issue. I have a couple 2.5" IDE HDDs in generic USB2.0 enclosures that work just fine in Win7x64. What file system is the drive? though, that shouldn't matter -- mine are fat32.

Last edited:
NTFS format, I wouldn't think that would matter either.

I installed the most current chipset drivers for my mobo.

You think it's on the enclosure end?

I've got an older 500 GB Western Digital IDE hard drive inside of a Maxtor inclosure. It works fine on my wife's and my father in law's computers (with 32 bit Vista and 32 bit Win7 respectively) but it will not work on my nor my brother in law's 64 bit Win7 machines.

Any idea why? Any way around this?

Would it be a maxtor one-touch enclosure by chance?

Most likely the drivers for the enclosure, poor driver support for many of these external drive enclosures.

It's a Maxtor Personal Storage 3100, it originally was an 80 GB Maxtor drive in it (my wife bought it back in college as a stand alone external), I pulled the Maxtor drive out and put the WD in.

I tried finding drivers for the enclosure but that was fruitless.

Back