External P/S mod... uhhhhhh hmmm question?

GSRwBOOST

Limp Gawd
I'm doing a test with my 200watt internal to see if it's my problem with my system randomly rebooting.

It's been doing this before today so i know it's not the new video card.

What WAS in the case....

Sb61G2 w/ 200watt

2 250GIG hdd's
asylum 128 AGP
P4 3.0 (not overclocked)
dvd burner
1 gig of ddr400 ram
audigy platinum

with this the 200 i figured was being pushed to the max but it played just fine.. only during really crazy times like unzipping/unraring 3 movies at a time or something crazy like that would it just reboot.

Today/yesterday I put in a Asylum fx5200 that "requres" a 250watt min/ 300 recommended power supply.

system had random times where it wouldnt show any display on bootup...

my assumption is that the 200watt is just beat to death.

I pulled it and ran my 431watt throught the back of the case...

1. Is the 200 watt sufficient for all listed parts?
2. Does anyone have any ideas for an external 431watt p/s case?
3. Should i just convince my wife that I need another mobo (and go back to big case)?

thanks for the help.

btw: temps in the shuttle dropped to almost nothing.. haha

Shuttle makes a SilenX power supply that's 250W. You can get it on Newegg for around $70.

The FX5200 shouldn't require too much power.

I'm assuming your cpu is a northwood, correct? That sucker alone pulls 85 watts under load. Two drives at 10.5 watts during idle, the optical drive pulls roughly 15watts, and whatever devices plugged in would tell me you have this thing pegged. As the poster above noted, get the SilentX 250watt PSU for this and give yourself some more headroom.

In the interim, keep the external PSU and try running your box under load to verify the PSU in the Shuttle is failing. You don't need to replace the Shuttle and go back to a larger box if you don't want to. Just up the PSU to accomidate your configuration.

Regards,

-E

Back