External PCIe Adapter for Laptop

PTNL

Supreme [H]ardness
I'm looking for suggestions on an external adapter that can house a PCIe card, and interface through a laptop's Expresscard socket. The reason for this is that many of my developer tools are split between a laptop and desktop, and I want to unify the installs to just the laptop but still support and develop against some existing hardware.

So far I've only found this device, but I'd like to open the topic up to suggestions and/or experiences before I drop some coin on a solution.

If it helps at all, the particular hardware I will be developing against are video output cards. Not normal video cards, but rather raw audio/video feeds such as SDI, ASI, etc. All cards would be PCIe x1, and do not require supplemental power connections.

Thanks for the links. That old [H] thread is what actually got me thinking about the idea to begin with :)

I'm interested in seeing what MSI's solution offers, as that price point is much more competitive for the cage alone (~$100 from that link). Though both of the solutions shown, at least in wording, seem focused on dedicated graphics cards. The cards I will be using are more for video editing -- just a raw video connection for input/output. Not sure yet if that makes a difference.

Edit: I recently read through a product called the Netstor TurboBox that lists compatibility with several of the vendors/hardware that I'd need. I'll likely call them with some more granular questions. But I wanted to share this discovery to provide clarity on what I'm working toward and see if anyone has experience with this product or a similar product to share.

Edit 2: About the Expresscard socket in my laptop -- it's the 34mm width.

Last edited:
Back