External SATA to USB/FireWire enclosure

ar1550

2[H]4U
So something weird happened to one of my SATA hard drives (a WD 120GB) when I got a BSOD earlier today, and now my computer won't boot with the drive attached. I tried unplugging it, booting into WinXP, and then plugged the SATA cable back in, yielding another BSOD. I don't think there is anything physically wrong with the drive, it is quite content to just sit and spin if I leave the PC in the BIOS or something. I was running a beta version of Grabit, which has caused infrequent reboots; it was running on this particular drive as well as performing some crunching on the big database of newsgroup headers at the time of the crash. The problem is, I also used that drive for storage, and I'd like to get those files (nothing I can't live without, but 60GB of data is still a lot to lose). I tried booting knoppix and the related damn small linux, but both hung when trying to detect SCSI (whether or not the drive was attached).
I've wanted to get an external enclosure anyways so that I can take more storage with me if I just have my Powerbook (newest rev. 17") or my Shuttle gaming rig. Since I think the drive is actually OK, and hopefully the only files on the HD hosed were from Grabit, I'm thinking that if I can connect the drive to my Powerbook I can copy the files off. I found this Cremax enclosure on Newegg, but I'm skeptical because I can't find any reviews and their website features some powerful Engrish. Another thread on the forum mentioned Addtronics enclosures but they have a disclaimer saying "The latest Mac OS 10.3.6 is not supported at this time." I'm running 10.3.8.
So, is there anything out there equivalent feature-wise to the Cremax? I'd prefer something cheaper, even if it was only USB2 (though obviously FW800 is preferable). Will the Cremax even do what I want it to? Worst case scenario I have to format the drive to FAT32 without being able to recover the data, but for the price/GB it'd probably be cheaper just to get an entire external hard drive.

afternoon bump.
I'm gonna guess no one has used these, so I'll probably just bite the bullet and order it at the end of the weekend if nobody comments.

Back