External watercooling in a ammunition case

stryder2720

Supreme [H]ardness
Final product on page 2.
Just built a new external case from a ammo can and it worked out perfect :D I'm waiting for my quick disconnects and I'll be using a 4-pin connector for the power. Thought you guys would get a kick out of it :p
IMG_2331.jpg

IMG_2332.jpg

IMG_2333.jpg

IMG_2334.jpg

Nice but I'm a bit worried about the kink in the tubing between the radiator and the reservoir. You should consider using smartcoils or zipties to fix that ;)

Nice but I'm a bit worried about the kink in the tubing between the radiator and the reservoir. You should consider using smartcoils or zipties to fix that ;)

I think it will be alright. The tubing has really thick walls and has never kinked on me before but I'll keep an eye on it :)

looks good :D are you going to run it with the top open? if not, how is it gonna get air?

That's pretty sick. Good job. Also, nice choice with Flight of the Conchords, haha, so great. I love it.

just ordered two of these VGA vents from mnpctech. I'll install one on each side of the handle to let a little air in.
VGAVent2.gif

Any ideas on how to power it? I was thinking of getting some 4-pin connectors like these..[
Plugs2.jpg

I don't want to use any type of molex connector as I'm going for something durable and looks some what military...ish.

Oh, I also ordered this so I can paint the vents I posted above along with the fan grills.
36356031.jpg

Same stuff the guy who did the HL2 case mod used to get that nice rust look.

Very nice and smoothly done!

I was working on the same thing nearly 3 years ago, and it's definitely not easy to pull off. Cutting through 3/32" steel is not fun, and that looks like it's about the size as the one I used, which is pretty cramped to fit everything internally.

It would look awesome once you get tubing holes drilled, and for power, those type of connectors will fit in nicely with a little rust paint on them.

I picked up two 5pin female DIN connectors and a midi cable to supply the power.
IMG_2336.jpg

IMG_2338.jpg

IMG_2339.jpg

Power plug installed! Now I'm just waiting on my grills, quick disconnects, and Instant Rust.

IMG_2344.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg

Installed the quick disconnects today and that about wraps it up for this mod/watercooling box.
IMG_2378.jpg

IMG_2381.jpg

IMG_2379.jpg

very nice!

also, flight of the conchords is so good! i noticed it in the background of the first shots ;)

Back