Extremely Intel X48

Thanks Kyle but in noob terms is there an advantage of enabling that option(enable UEFI boot) in the bios? Speedier boot times? Seems it will require anOS reinstall.
The only way you'd end up with a new EFI vs BIOS is in a new motherboard, which necessitates an OS reinstall anyway.
Only 2 ram slots puts me back to athlon xp days. At work we all have 8 & 16 slot ram boards. 2 slots usable at ddr3-1600 basically makes the platform unusable IMHO.

I have 4 * 2G at home ddr2-800 @ stock, and I really wish for more.
I run 4x1GB DDR2-800, and can both tighten timings and go to a 10% OC. I haven't tried for more lately. I was able to loosen timings to 5-5-5-20 and hit 500MHz when I had only 2x1GB, no problem (haven't tried with 4x1GB). This is all on an Intel BadAxe2.

This motherboard offers an option for UEFI BOOT. No new MB nscessary, it's one of the first to offer it. I'm curious if a VISTA Ultimate X64 disc will be able to install with UEFI enabled in bios. The edition I have has SP1 but is bundled with SP1 on a seperate disc(OEM) .
ps I own this board

I can't wait to see this review. I'm holding off building my system specifically because of this review(can't find any decent reviews of Intel motherboards). I just want something thats highly supported and super stable (overclocking would be nice, but not required). I'm tired of less-than-stellar VIA/nVidia setups.

intel chipsets are vastly better then the competing via nvidia offerings. intel
motherboards
tend to be extremely stable, and recently OC pretty well to boot. But they tend to be rather "bare bones" compared to third party vendors that compete with all sorts of extras that may or may not be worth the extra cost.

No integrated WiFi or TV tuner != bare bones. My BadAxe2 had a tons of extras.

No integrated WiFi or TV tuner != bare bones. My BadAxe2 had a tons of extras.

Compared to what?

intel's premium end mobos typically (actually almost universally) ship with less extras and just the "what you need" options.

This isn't even a bad thing. Since most power users could care less about LED's that glow, or fake "sound cards" that get discarded right off the bat. Nor does any rational actor need 8 USB ports.

But it's worth noting that the intel board will be bare bones compared to it's abit, msi, asus, gigabyte, dfi competition.

I like intel boards for that reason. Let's be honest for a quick second and cut to the guts of the matter. For the most part you're slicing hairs between various companies boards off a given chipset. They all perform about the same, and even among various chipsets the performance gains aren't always that great.

This forces companies to toss in everything plus the kitchen sink to validate why their over priced option A is better then competitors over priced option B.

intel boards don't do that. It's just the base product and it works. It sells for less, has less stability issues (due to not cheating in some aspects to win review and benchmark points), but you don't get everything plus the sink with it.

No poblems thus far, perfectly stable. I don't overclock so YMMV.
Ypu may want to check this thread http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=184207
Thanks for the link. I've been following this one: http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=166289
Compared to what?

intel's premium end mobos typically (actually almost universally) ship with less extras and just the "what you need" options.

This isn't even a bad thing. Since most power users could care less about LED's that glow, or fake "sound cards" that get discarded right off the bat. Nor does any rational actor need 8 USB ports.

But it's worth noting that the intel board will be bare bones compared to it's abit, msi, asus, gigabyte, dfi competition.

I like intel boards for that reason. Let's be honest for a quick second and cut to the guts of the matter. For the most part you're slicing hairs between various companies boards off a given chipset. They all perform about the same, and even among various chipsets the performance gains aren't always that great.

This forces companies to toss in everything plus the kitchen sink to validate why their over priced option A is better then competitors over priced option B.

intel boards don't do that. It's just the base product and it works. It sells for less, has less stability issues (due to not cheating in some aspects to win review and benchmark points), but you don't get everything plus the sink with it.
Barebones is exactly that: the barest essentials. For something like an ECS, you're lookign at a backplane, a single IDE, FDD, SATA connector, and a driver CD.

My BadAxe2 had 6 fancy blue SATA cable, 2 rounded IDE cables, rounded FDD. Good instructions, posters, fancy stickers, etc.

uGuru clocks, WiFi, etc. are extras, to be sure, but that doesn't by any measure make Intel's offerings barebones. Nice basics, maybe, but not barebones.

Kyle is the review almost ready? Have you run into a snag? Could you please include a little blurb about UEFI in your review? Thanks

This review might hold you over for awhile, originally in French: Google translation linky

They mostly seem annoyed at X48 and DDR3. Of course, they didn't even do ANY stress/stability testing. :rolleyes:

I still eagerly await the HardOCP goodness.
Edit: Kyle, and chance you can check the clearances for a TRUE?

We're getting this board for my fiance's build.

Sadly my rig will no longer be the best one in the house :(

She'll be jealous when I jump on the Nehalem bandwagon though :cool:

I've had this board for over a week now (with a PSU) and upon cold boot, the rig starts up, then revs once then starts up full bore - it's totally fine with restarting and it 100% stable when up (and under full load while playing games).

Is it the PSU possibly not supplying enough wattage? Perhaps I need to tweak some voltages somewhere? There is little out there on this board to gleen info from.

So has anyone installed windows with EFI enabled? Does it work? Does it offer advantages?

This board is on the way to my home, along with 4GB of DDR 1333...it's going to be paired with a 3870x2, 750GB 32mb Samsung drive, and a Q9450.

I'm anxious for insight.

I've had this board for over a week now (with a PSU) and upon cold boot, the rig starts up, then revs once then starts up full bore - it's totally fine with restarting and it 100% stable when up (and under full load while playing games).

Is it the PSU possibly not supplying enough wattage? Perhaps I need to tweak some voltages somewhere? There is little out there on this board to gleen info from.
"Double boot" or "cold start bug" is how I've heard of this before.

Common problem as of late, though not usually on Intel branded boards.

We're getting this board for my fiance's build.

Sadly my rig will no longer be the best one in the house :(

She'll be jealous when I jump on the Nehalem bandwagon though :cool:
you should give her your old system and take this one

She's a bit more tech saavy than most women.

There's no way that would occur, without me sleeping on the couch for months on end.

Not worth it...lol ;)

So has anyone installed windows with EFI enabled? Does it work? Does it offer advantages?

This board is on the way to my home, along with 4GB of DDR 1333...it's going to be paired with a 3870x2, 750GB 32mb Samsung drive, and a Q9450.

I'm anxious for insight.
Thanks Theinternet1980 , I'm not alone in interest in UEFI. Kyle please enlighten us. Anandtech has a x48 review ; blow them away with a review on this board with info on UEFI.

hands down the best looking in-windows OC utility I've ever seen, autta blend right in with vista (which is nice, I'm really tired of these insane skins). Right behind that is AMDs Overdrive though.

When it says you can only run 1600mhz memory using 2 gb does that mean if I were to populate all 4 slots using 1600mhz memory it wouldn't boot? And if so couldn't you just drop the memory down to 1333mhz and then run all 4 sticks of 1 gb memory? Forgive the noob question,,,

ps I own this board

Do you happen to remember the clearance on the back of the motherboard around the socket? The DX38BT had a few surface-mounted devices on the back that could get in the way of the backplate to the heatsink I want (Noctua NH-U9B).

Uh, wow, calm down man. Even *I* know not to anger Kyle. ;)

I have a plane ticket to Texas ready to book immediately, and a bag of rancid dog poop to bring for carry on luggage, if this review doesn't show it's face in 48 hours. :mad:

I just want his insight honestly, as the board will arrive tomorrow, and an X3350 to follow shortly thereafter :)

I don't have all of the components I am using for this build. Hence the anticipation of the review.

I've read through the XS thread, but it seems more centered on the x38bt as opposed to the x48bt2. I know, I know, same board, same BIOS. But a x48bt2 official thread on XS would be nice.

I don't have all of the components I am using for this build. Hence the anticipation of the review.

I've read through the XS thread, but it seems more centered on the x38bt as opposed to the x48bt2. I know, I know, same board, same BIOS. But a x48bt2 official thread on XS would be nice.
yeah I agree with you on that one, would be nice to keep them separate

There are at least 2 X48BT2 threads on XS... though neither has much more info than the X38 thread.

You'd think Kyle would respond to the inquiries as he started the thread. Please let us know if the review was scrapped. Not very professional if you asked me.

You'd think Kyle would respond to the inquiries as he started the thread. Please let us know if the review was scrapped. Not very professional if you asked me.
Or very professional, if he is working on the review, and not cruising his own threads....

He has been pretty active on the EVGA 750i SLI thread, do a little research before you comment.

I've fixed my cold boot issue (Memory voltage) and everything is running smooth - getting ready to start OC'ing any day now once I find the time.

SP1 was supposed to add EFI support to Vista, but I don't know if it actually ended up that way.

Back