Extremely mad with Gigabyte and backplate!!

Compuwiz

Limp Gawd
Gigabyte has a proprietary plastic backplate and socket holder for stock heatsink and fans. However, I have the Thermaltake Big Typhoon, and I cant build my comptuer at all until I get this damn plastic piece off. I am leaving for school on Saturday and I want this new computer to be up and running for when I leave so I can do remote desktop from school and other features. I am about to just return the motherboard back to newegg for a new mothebroard that has easily removable plastic covers.

I have used the search on google and in the forum, and everyone says "I have removed it" or "you have to remove it", but no one says how without damaging anything. The board uses push pin plastic pieces to keep the top plastic thing locked in with the backplate behind the motherboard and I have no idea how to get these out.

I am using Gigabyte GA-K8N51GMF-9 Micro ATX board. I am not using it to be a super powerful machine, just something that will help with some small server stuff, learning linux, etc. I do not have the need for high power SLI and other features.

Any suggestions, please?!

ive not seen the board close up, but to release it might be retaining pins on the bottom, i dont know if you need a adapter once its removed to get the heatsink to fit. its just one of the designs, researching before you buy it is always a good thing.

I had a Gigabyte P4 boad and it sounds like they used the same method for my board as they did on that one. I had to break the 4 plastic insert "pins" that go through the bracket. There was no other way to do it that I saw. If you're worried about having to use it again, you can buy new brackets from most online computer stores...

Most brackets this type have four fasteners that are pushed down causing them to expand the plastic part it it pushed into.

You can usually get them out by gently pulling up on them if you can get something like a small ftatblade screwdriver or pocket knife under it (the part that looks like a screwhead with no slot). If that doesn't work, you might be able to push the fasteners out from the back side.

Ok, I'm bored -

It's really easy. Wish someone had showed me how the first time I removed one!

Flip your board over and push the center pin in a little bit. If you have something small enough to fit and can push the pin all the way out, so much the better. If not, it's no big deal to pry out the push pins when you get back on the other side.
CRW_1403test2.jpg

Now flip the board over and pry out the push pins.
CRW_1406test3.jpg

Once you get all four push pins out you can pull the bracket off. It might help to push a little on the plastic part poking out the other side to get each one through the hole. You might think about saving this in case you ever decide to change to a different style of heatsink.
CRW_1408test4.jpg

Just as an addendum, some of these plastic nails (or whatever you want to call them) need to be pinched to be pushed out as they have a tip that widens to help hold the motherboard in place. If that's the case, use some tweezers or mini pliers.

Albert

Yes I understand the plastic push pin "concept" but mine is a little different:

top.jpg

Top of motherboard.

back.jpg

The back of the motherboard. From what I have read other places the plastic backplate is supposed to stay and not be removed.

screw.jpg

Close shot of the push pin. Note the side part where the small flathead screwdriver would appear to fit in but does not have the actual inlet for the tool. Do I lift this piece up?

side.jpg

Side shot so you can see what it looks like. This gives you perspective--when you push/pull the plastic pins from the top, IF it does anything, it is not enough to do anything.

Pull the center part out of the pin. Thats what causes the pin to expand and hold itself to the motherboard.

Just flip the board over and use a flat head to push it out.
As for the backplate it might be attached via a double sided stick pad like my MSI board. Just carefully peal it off and you will be good to go.

Have you tried pushing the pin out from the back?
back.jpg

Looks like the center piece is the pin, just push it as far as you can and see if that lets you get something under the head on the other side.

Just a guess since I don't have one of those in front of me.

Excavator said:
Have you tried pushing the pin out from the back?
back.jpg

Looks like the center piece is the pin, just push it as far as you can and see if that lets you get something under the head on the other side.

Just a guess since I don't have one of those in front of me.

Sweet! I just tried exactly that and I got the top piece off! Now Im going to try and attatch my Thermaltake Big Typhoon and see if it still works. Thanks all for your help.

[This would be an awesome sticky for future referance]

Just a note: The Jetway and eVGA boards use exactly this same backplate/mounting scheme.

Back