Extremely weird computer problem

ScArE2100

Limp Gawd
I bought a system about 1 month ago:
a64 3800+
dfi lanparty ut nf4 ultra-d
1gb pc3200 ram (twinmos)

Windows XP x64 and Gentoo Linux

I have this extremely weird problem where the system gets jittery. Like the whole ui updates in pulses. I originally thought it was just the mouse that was jumpy and thought it might have been a usb problem. Now I see it happens while watching dvds too, the dvd skips at about the same rate as the mouse. The thing that makes it extremely weird is that it happens in both windows and in linux and only intermitantly. When I was first setting up the system I had problems w/ stability so I RMA'd motherboard and CPU. I am very experienced with computers but for this problem I don't even know where to begin troubleshooting.

Another strange observation. In taskman windows says I'm using 30-40% cpu but there aren't any processes using any cpu.
taskman.png

note: task list sorted by cpu usage.

If you need more info I'd be glad to share. Any suggestions are appreciated.

i had a problem with a Trend Micro update caused the CPU to say it was running 100% all the time, definately if you have nothing to lose reformat

but it a format won't fix it; it happens in windows and in linux which is proof that it isn't the os or software based. it is either hardware or firmware; I just need help narrowing it down.

something like this happened to me too, very similar, my mouse and video was laggyyyyy but i didnt check to see my task manager, i found out my problem was my CDRW/DVD combo drive, i unplugged the ide cable and replugged it and turned my system on and it became fine again.

ScArE2100 said:
but it a format won't fix it; it happens in windows and in linux which is proof that it isn't the os or software based. it is either hardware or firmware; I just need help narrowing it down.
You ignored steps 2 & 3 of my post :mad:

Those simple 3 steps will easily x off CPU, ram, adn half the mobo(all ya gots left is the hard drive, mobo controllers, agp/pci devices, and cables)

Back