Eyefinity 3x24" vs. Dell 3007wfp-hc

Still seems silly to me, especially the 5x1 with the extra screen up top. Guess I'll have to see it in person to really understand, but why wouldn't a single screen at those dimensions be more desirable in the long run? Would that technically or physically be impossible or something? would it really cost less if manufacturers pushed to increase the size. In other words, is this eyefinity "craze" a lasting effort, or just some temporary thing until they just come out with with bigger screens?

Sorry but have to disagree. The 1920 vertical height is amazing, it is almost double that of 1080res height. And also now the widescreen is 3200 res wide, thats like 75% wider than 1920

This has to be seen in person to be a believer, and I am sold on Portrait mode for now, not rotating back to Landscape. Check this;
Sure adding pixels is always nice, but at the cost of splitting your FOV with bezels not for me. Also your wrong more pixels V/H doesn't mean your have a 75% wider FOV if your using the 3 16/10 displays in portrait.

3600/1920 = 1.875
2025/1080 or 1920/1024 = 1.875
2025/1920 = 1.0547 or 5.47% wider FOV NOT 75%

I would love to try it myself, but I have a feeling the bezel would bother the hell out of me. What I can tell you is I have tried a 1920x1024 or 1.875 ratio on L4D and it didn't add much to the FOV for me to notice.

SSChevy2001 said:
I would love to try it myself, but I have a feeling the bezel would bother the hell out of me. What I can tell you is I have tried a 1920x1024 or 1.875 ratio on L4D and it didn't add much to the FOV for me to notice.

Yeah, for me, a big monitor (30"-40") is better (no bezels) than the portrait mode everyone wants. Now with the landscape mode, you can physically wrap it around your head. I think that gives a better desired effect from what I've seen. The portrait mode just seems like a way to get more resolution on screen. However, you're most likely not playing the game at the full res anyways if you want all the bells & whistles on.

I'm just waiting for someone to mod their monitors to minimize the bezels :)

Yeah, for me, a big monitor (30"-40") is better (no bezels) than the portrait mode everyone wants. Now with the landscape mode, you can physically wrap it around your head. I think that gives a better desired effect from what I've seen. The portrait mode just seems like a way to get more resolution on screen. However, you're most likely not playing the game at the full res anyways if you want all the bells & whistles on.

looks like you got BBBS.

I will wait for this tech + OLED + modded Project Natal for PC use.

Two or three OLED screens so you can physically warp them into a nice curved viewing area!

This does look really good, but the bezels are a turn off for me at the moment as is the fact that it's a baby step towards true 360 degree immersion, which is what I pine for at night!

How do you like the windows desktop experience in portrait mode? I think I would have a hard time getting used to portrait mode for normaly computer usage, though the gaming aspect looks sweet.
I'm very interested in seeing Pretzel's desktop as well. With gaming as his #1 priority. How about "working" in that environment? Does it work well? Would love to see some shots of people's desktop with apps running. :)

It's like playing games and watching movies with a football (gridiron) helmet on! lol

Hey if you like it, cool. I just wouldn't drop the dough for additional monitors just to suffer with those big bezel breaks in my view.

Besides, playing on a 32" 1080p HDTV is wonderful enough.

I think we will wind up with the best of both worlds when 21:9 Displays are readily available;

philips_cinema.jpg

Why is that better? I don't want to have to move my entire head side to side to see everything. 16:9 and 16:10 are just fine, thanks.

And a benefit of having mouselook in the first place is so I DON'T have to physically move my head around.

I understand both sides of the discussion. I have run 3 monotors for years for graphic arts purposes (photochop on 1, reference material on another, and brushes/pallets on a third). Really nice for productivity. Games have always been limited to one screen for me- but now I am enthused!

My second PC is for gaming and runs on a 40" 1080p TV (yes its a big desk with all those monitors- a 10 foot door out of a bank). I recently got a 5870- man it looks a lot better than the 4870 crossfire system did and is a whole lot smoother and less glitchy to run.

I love the big screen. Left for Dead makes you jump out of your seat (especially late at night when drinking).

I am thinking I might get another couple of 40" TVs to match and run the Eyefinity setup. Yeah- I know they are not as nice as the 30" monitors, but I don't really care about that. A wall of screen realestate is what I am looking for. Then I can have the big screen AND perriferal vision. Whatcha'll think?

Man, if I didn't just have to buy a new car, I'd totally be all over an eyefinity setup. Time to save my pennies!

That last shot of the two systems says a lot. The Eyefinity is SOOOO clear even in the photograph- but the TV has NO BEZELS. I have to say that in games I never notice the pixels in games- too buzy playing the games (perhaps that is my problem- I build systems and then actually use them).

However it totally sucks for web surfing- so when I am on the big screen I always have my laptop handy so I can check my mousetrap :)

That's exactly what I've been talking about. Portrait doesn't actually give you more viewing area. It's very similar to the existing 16:10 / 16:9 monitors. it only gives you a huge number of pixels.

exactly my point from earlier in this thread... the game isnt developed for that pixel density - that being said...

id rather have my single 37" 1080p tv instead of 3x1 in portrait

a really nice 1080p projector [read: about $1500 worth] would be stoopidly nice as well

but eyefinity is on the devs now - they have to make games which take into consideration extreme wide [or even extreme tall] aspects

until games are made for it... it's sweet, but not worth a $1000+ investment

Here check this
hl21875.jpg

That shot is very subjective, I mean lets see a picture of the single monitor sitting on the desk all alone standing a few feet away, it doesn't look that immersive then, but with the 3 - 24" flipped in Portrait mode sitting on the desk, that is all you see in front of you, a wall of pure LCD gaming. A single screen never gave me that feeling, even my big Apple 30" display never gave me this look.

These 3 in Portrait mode are so tall, and pretty wide, but the height makes it feel like you can get off your chair and almost walk inside the screen and jump in the game. It takes up your whole view in front of you, and pretty god much to the sides as well. As immersion factor goes, it blows away a million times my single 30".

My photograph of the 3 displays together was taking from like 3 feet away, lets see your same single display photographed from 3 feet away and see how that looks ?

That shot is very subjective, I mean lets see a picture of the single monitor sitting on the desk all alone standing a few feet away, it doesn't look that immersive then, but with the 3 - 24" flipped in Portrait mode sitting on the desk, that is all you see in front of you, a wall of pure LCD gaming. A single screen never gave me that feeling, even my big Apple 30" display never gave me this look.

These 3 in Portrait mode are so tall, and pretty wide, but the height makes it feel like you can get off your chair and almost walk inside the screen and jump in the game. It takes up your whole view in front of you, and pretty god much to the sides as well. As immersion factor goes, it blows away a million times my single 30".

My photograph of the 3 displays together was taking from like 3 feet away, lets see your same single display photographed from 3 feet away and see how that looks ?

3x24" is the same as one giant 43.2" monitor. So yes, it's very large. But I have a 42" HDTV in the living room.

The trade offs are: Pixel resolution vs. Bezzels when it comes down to it in portrait mode.

Just personally, when I dive into eyefinity I'll most likely do landscape since I find it hard to justify the monitor purchases for portrait mode.

LOL- That is because your monitor was only 30" ;) Trust us. The TV from 3 feet is immersive. Now I just need 2 more :D

LOL- That is because your monitor was only 30" ;) Trust us. The TV from 3 feet is immersive. Now I just need 2 more :D

A TV ? What kind of resolution is that ? 1920x1080 at 42" :( That would suck, I am sorry to say. The pixels would be huge at that big of a screen and low res. I think my 2560x1600res on my 30" is the largest it should go, any bigger display and the pixels become way too big and you get shitty image quality. I am more about the crystal clear sharp image, than the size.

I would rather have smaller monitors but with super sharp clarity, than a single large screen with a low res. For me a single 42" monitor should be pushing a resolution of approx 3600x2200 to be close in pixel size as a 30" monitor.

But I still think the best Eyefinity setup would be 20" in Portrait + 30" in Landscape + 20" in Portrait giving a total 4960x1600res, that would be the perfect setup in my mind. But currently you can not mix and match different resolutions, and they must all be set in either Landscape or Portrait, not mixed.

You cannot argue for or against something without stating what your needs are. There are several needs that people seem to bring up repeatedly:
1. Raw Size
2. Wider Aspect Ratio
3. More Pixels

1 - It seems better to get a nice 37-42" and it looks much nicer without the bezels in the way.

2 - Triple display Landscape mode is the only way to achieve this without a strange 21:9 display. This mode COULD be utilized by games if the devs decide to. Triple portrait is similar to regular larger displays and does not change the ratio much.

3 - Increased Pixel count/density is clearly superior on a triple display compared to a single large HDTV. I question the amount of required GPU power to hit max settings on new games. Sure we can run WOW @ 3600x1920 and get 100fps, but try to run Crysis or the like on a 3600x1920 triple display with max settings. If image quality suffers to get the extra pixels, maybe those pixels do more harm than good. (Resolution/Quality/FPS analysis required)

Edit: in response to the larger monitors need super high resolutions.
When you play games on those big screens it is really immersive, more so than when you have super sharp smaller images. If you aren't point blank and you run anti aliasing those "giant" pixels become much harder to see in games. In a 2D environment the pixels are more noticeable, so when doing work on a 37" there isn't as much space as the 2560x1600.

Last edited:
I would rather have smaller monitors but with super sharp clarity, than a single large screen with a low res.

I would rather have smaller monitors but with super sharp clarity while wearing a football helmet, than a single large screen with a low res.

There fixed that for you.

(p.s. meant as a joke)

Last edited:
@Zorachus. It's fine if you want more pixel resolution, but the entire time you were saying how you were able to see "1/3" more with portrait mode. That just came across as strange to me because geometrically it's not true.

Any chance ATI will ever get this working with a center landscape monitor and portrait side monitors? It seems like the main benefit to this (for gaming at least) is the wider FOV, but 3 monitors in landscape seems almost too wide for me.

A TV ? What kind of resolution is that ? 1920x1080 at 42" :( That would suck, I am sorry to say. The pixels would be huge at that big of a screen and low res. I think my 2560x1600res on my 30" is the largest it should go, any bigger display and the pixels become way too big and you get shitty image quality. I am more about the crystal clear sharp image, than the size.

It only depends on what you are doing. For ALMOST every game I play the TV as a monitor works great. You are correct though, that it is not good for some things- web surfing an photo editing? UGH! I am simply saying that for immersion IN GAMES the TV as a monitor is better than the 3 x portrait monitors because of the bezils in my opinion.

You are saying that you don't like the pixels being a lttle bigger (I honestly never notice that) but you can forgive the window panes in your field of view? Those don't bother you???

3 x Landscape lets you see more and expands the immersion- that is what I am personally after.

@Zorachus. It's fine if you want more pixel resolution, but the entire time you were saying how you were able to see "1/3" more with portrait mode. That just came across as strange to me because geometrically it's not true.

I stand corrected, did not expect that. Because when playing WoW at 3600x1920res in Portrait looked so much better and seemed like more game world than when I played on my old single 30" of 2560x1600res, but I guess not ?

Playing WoW in extreme widescreen, 5760x1200res, looked very stretched and freaky looking on the 2 sides, almost like a different game. I dare say that 5760 wide is too much, games just not designed for that extreme of width,m and end up looking weird and off ?

That's exactly what I've been talking about. Portrait doesn't actually give you more viewing area. It's very similar to the existing 16:10 / 16:9 monitors. it only gives you a huge number of pixels.

It gives you more vertical pixels and a slightly wider view than a normal monitor. I love having 1920 vertical instead of my previous 1600. Makes work a lot easier at well editing docs. And when I finally get to a place to this below. I will be able to expand easily to it.

I don't think 40" TVs really have an upgrade path like Eyefinity does. The portrait setup I have now with 3 x 1 24s is equal to about a 45" TV.

HardOCP_Eyefinity_DreamStation.png

Hehe, and don't forget the resolution! Tell me what that 40" TV looks like at 1080P from 2 feet away on your desk. The answer? ASS. 1920x1080 vs Eyefinity at 2600x1920? If you are across the room, but sitting at your PC is a different story.

but 3 monitors in landscape seems almost too wide for me.

It is too wide, until game developers patch in the correct aspect ratio and FOV to properly allow for these extreme wide resolutions.

I mainly play WoW, and with the 5760 res wide, it makes the game very stretched on the 2 side displays, to the point is looks like a different game almost, or like your on a acid trip with everything warped and bent looking. So for right now today, the 3 - 24" in Portrait mode look better in WoW, and it does feel like I am seeing more than my old single 30" Display showed me, but maybe I am wrong on that ?

It is too wide, until game developers patch in the correct aspect ratio and FOV to properly allow for these extreme wide resolutions

Not for any racing sims. 3X1 Landscape gave me a better gaming experience and actually increased my level of play.

op - no one is saying that eyefinity isnt the bee's knee's - i for one know it is :)

but with current games ... 3 monitors in portrait is not better than 1 giant tv ... you dont get more field of view, you dont get higher textures, what you gain is off set by bezels

you said your 30" wasnt as impressive... well how about 12" more at 42"?

sitting 3' from a 42" monitor and gaming is impressively impressive

better yet - 10' away from a 100" projected image is equally wowistic

eyefinity in landscape is special because it gives you the option of having a much wider than normal aspect ... which means devs can fill the game with a literal metric ass ton of information

eyefinity in portrait is... just not as impressive to anyone who has used a 1080p tv for gaming

the future of eyefinity is going to be amazing / its truly next gen technology that these current gen games can do no justice to

Which realistically you wouldn't want to sit in front of a HDTV that large.

Exactly, so what is that a valid comparison of? Eyefinity has been about resolution since day one, not size.

If you are going to game 15 feet away from your TV, then set up 3 TVs and use Eyefinitiy to power them!

Intel_Hydralisk, I prefer mine in landscape, because I also use my setup for work. But the beauty is, depending on which game you want to play, you can rotate into portrait, then back again; reconfigure your monitors however you like. Something you can't do easily with just one display (lol).

I've been going on an fps and flight simulator kick lately. Having this new monitor real estate brings back a TON of life out of your old games.

I'm a bit puzzled by the preference for portrait mode. For me at least, the huge draw of Eyefinity is the possibility of a *large* increase in viewable gameworld. Portrait doesn't seem to give much more gaming view area than a regular 16:9 monitor. Of course, three portrait monitors offer much much higher resolution (and I can see the advantage in the desktop environment), but that's about the only advantage.

I currently have a well calibrated 40" Sharp 1080p as my PC monitor, and yes sitting close to it does make for a more intense gaming session, but I'm pining pretty badly right now for a 3xlandscape Eyefinity setup that totally surrounds your peripheral field of view.

BTW, absolutely love all the pics being posted up by Eyefinity users. I'll have a setup of my own as soon as my active DVI-DP adapter arrives from Dell.

Not needed. By my calculations your 3x 24inch setup is 6 inches wider in portrait mode than my 37"

Here's a thing: if you turn your head to the left when you are looking at a big screen you're going to see the rest of the room, because your vision isn't covered by the monitor. If you turn your head when you have eyefinity, what do you see? Another screen. That's the beauty of it, your entire vision gets wrapped around by the game rather than the artificiality of the screen. You lose track of the bezels. It's easy for me because I spend about 3-4 hours a day commuting in the car, and you totally tune out the blindspots in your vision. It's the same way. For those of you are just saying they'd drive you nuts, trust me, your brain adjusts. You already have two blind spots in your vision from where the optic nerve connects to your eyes. Don't believe me? There's a test that shows you this blind spot. The brain can adjust for a LOT.

For those that are big LCD TV proponents, I have an easy solution for you. Get 2 more and use Eyefinity with it.

Back