Eyefinity Broken?

FaRKle0079

2[H]4U
So Eyefinity has always been moody with me during the 79xx series (and I've owned 4 different cards). Typically what happens is it'll lose its settings and upon booting up into Windows and I'll have all three screens duplicating each other.

I can usually get Eyefinity working again by using windows display control panel to first set all the displays to extend desktop, opening CCC and making an Eyefinity group, then applying it, which unfortunately doesn't give me Eyefinity but rather puts me back where I started with all three monitors duplicating each other. So I do the whole cycle over again and it always works on the second time.

For some reason today my PC just refuses to give me Eyefinity. I've tried restarting the PC numerous times and am just short of uninstalling the drivers and re-installing them. This is on Cat 12.7 btw (which is what I've always used since I built this system). Whenever I hit apply now I ALWAYS get duplicated screens.

Anybody else experience this nonsense?

And BTW I'm looking for actual answers and none of this trolling NV/AMD garbage.

I find that a bad DP->DVI adapter or bad DP cable creates all sorts of bullshit with eyefinity. I've even BSODed because of a faulty cable.

Thankfully I'm not using any DP adapters anymore. My DP cables are less than two months old.

I've had a 7970 for a few months now and had nothing but success with my eyefinity group. I know you said your cables are new, but new doesn't always mean good. See if you can round up/borrow some different ones....

I often experienced the same thing after games would hard lock with my Radeon HD 7970 CrossfireX setup. I never did experience that with a single card. Though sometimes a single monitor would get no signal or roll the image. I had that with all drivers and configs as long as I had the 7970. Some were definitely worse than others about it.

Cards I have used over the past month:

MSI 7950 Twin Frozr 3 OC (three different cards)
MSI 7970 refernece

and I should have an XFX reference OC 1GHz card coming to me this week to try.

I guess I can swap DP cables on my monitors and see if it changes which monitor might have an issue. I can also try my old standard DP cable with mini-DP to DP adapter. I really hate how unsecure the mini-DP connection is, doesn't grab the housing very well so there's too much wiggle.

I have had this exact same problem since I started with the 7970s on launch. Each driver release seems to subtly change the procedure that I need to take to get things working again. It's frustrating as hell, and it's entirely due to shitty drivers (surprise surprise). Your cables are probably fine.

The most recent solution to my config is outlined in a very similar thread I created about this issue a while back here.

I have 7970s CF'd in EF.
They are fine except in random games I get freezing/crashing.
My latest headache is DeusEx:HR.
I simply can't play the game for more than 10 minutes before it freezes and has sound looping.
My computer itself is rock solid, everything including the BIOS is UTD.

I've changed drivers more than my underware the last week and it just won't work.

I can play for hours on end on my Surround setup using GTX 670s in SLi.

I have 7970s CF'd in EF.
They are fine except in random games I get freezing/crashing.
My latest headache is DeusEx:HR.
I simply can't play the game for more than 10 minutes before it freezes and has sound looping.
My computer itself is rock solid, everything including the BIOS is UTD.

I've changed drivers more than my underware the last week and it just won't work.

I can play for hours on end on my Surround setup using GTX 670s in SLi.

That doesn't sound fine to me. In fact it sounds like the same exact problem I had.

That doesn't sound fine to me. In fact it sounds like the same exact problem I had.

Yes. You are correct. Maybe "fine" was the wrong term. I was referring to the overall CCC/EF as the OP was talking about. I haven't seen that problem.

The freezing problem is definately aggrevating me.:D

I read that entire thread you linked as it was on-going with great interest.
What did you finally do?
The tone of the thread seems to indicate you switched to 680s. Which I may do if I can't find a solution.....but currently, DeusEx is my only problem game.

Last edited:
try different adapters/cable.
if the eyefinity is lost it would indicate a sync issue of some kind.

Yes. You are correct. Maybe "fine" was the wrong term. I was referring to the overall CCC/EF as the OP was talking about. I haven't seen that problem.

The freezing problem is definately aggrevating me.:D

I read that entire thread you linked as it was on-going with great interest.
What did you finally do?
The tone of the thread seems to indicate you switched to 680s. Which I may do if I can't find a solution.....but currently, DeusEx is my only problem game.

Well you said you get random freezing / crashing in other games. This is not fine. As for DeusEx HR being your biggest problem game, all I can say is some games are more sensitive to it than others. Mass Effect 3 and other Unreal Engine games seem to crash more easily despite being otherwise exceptionally stable, if there is a problem with your system. BF3 would undoubtedly run longer than ME3 would, but I'd still get lock ups. Though those were far more random in frequency.

I ended up going with a pair of EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB cards in SLI. The setup is working well. Automated fan behavior has been better, and hasn't given me any reason to adjust it, and I haven't had any lockups or crashes since switching. I've played games such as BF3 and ME3 for hours on end since without incidents or issues. No more monitors dropping due to the use of active dual-link DVI to mini-DP adapters, or anything. It just works. And on a side note, while I'd sometimes have the Radeon HD 7970's bench higher after switching to the GHz Edition BIOS, the GTX 680's always feel smoother. Well except for BF3. That's the one game where the AMD's felt just as good.

I don't know if you read the last part of that thread, but we found information concerning the CrossfireX bridges and their limited bandwidth. It certainly seems to explain the issue I had going over the bandwidth provided by two CrossfireX bridges. I think there is an issue on some systems of AMD using the PCIe bus for CrossfireX communication in such instances.

Well you said you get random freezing / crashing in other games. This is not fine. As for DeusEx HR being your biggest problem game, all I can say is some games are more sensitive to it than others. Mass Effect 3 and other Unreal Engine games seem to crash more easily despite being otherwise exceptionally stable, if there is a problem with your system. BF3 would undoubtedly run longer than ME3 would, but I'd still get lock ups. Though those were far more random in frequency.

I ended up going with a pair of EVGA GeForce GTX 680 4GB cards in SLI. The setup is working well. Automated fan behavior has been better, and hasn't given me any reason to adjust it, and I haven't had any lockups or crashes since switching. I've played games such as BF3 and ME3 for hours on end since without incidents or issues. No more monitors dropping due to the use of active dual-link DVI to mini-DP adapters, or anything. It just works. And on a side note, while I'd sometimes have the Radeon HD 7970's bench higher after switching to the GHz Edition BIOS, the GTX 680's always feel smoother. Well except for BF3. That's the one game where the AMD's felt just as good.

I don't know if you read the last part of that thread, but we found information concerning the CrossfireX bridges and their limited bandwidth. It certainly seems to explain the issue I had going over the bandwidth provided by two CrossfireX bridges. I think there is an issue on some systems of AMD using the PCIe bus for CrossfireX communication in such instances.

I understand.
Yes, I did/do get some random problems, but the other games tend not to be a problem in the big scheme of things.....to me at least.
But, DeusEx is the real PITA for me, like ME3 was for you.

I just wasn't certain if you switched out your cards.

As I have said, my other computer is an ASUS RF3/930/6GB 1600/ GTX 670 GTX in SLi and I can play Deus EX all day long.

If I cant straighten out DeusEx on my 7970 rig this weekend, I'm going to follow your lead.:D

Back