Eyefinity Configuration Suggestions

what mount are you using? i am thinking of going with the 3008wfp and 2x20's.

I hope you don't plan to run Eyefinity ? Because that setup is not allowed, all displays must either be Portrait or Landscape, can't mix and match

From your Eyefinity review of the Radeon HD "5770" (5870?). I really liked the 1x3 portait but on it's side. Its like a mega-huge widescreen. the 3x1 widescreen didn't appeal to me because I don't feel that my peripherals would give much benefit (then again, I only have this one laptop to game on.)

Personally if your gaming i don't know why no one has brought up 3x1 portrait of the Dell 2209WA's they have like low input lag and are eIPS's... and can be had for like $200 a pop!

Last edited:
So any official word on whether AMD will allow a mix and match of Portrait and Landscape modes soon ? I just do not understand why they wouldn't allow the same vertical height across three displays to be allowed in the drivers ?

20" in Portrait + 30" in Landscape + 20" in Portrait, that would give total 4960x1600 resolution, and all three monitors would have the exact same height res. You would use two 1600x1200res 20" monitors but flipped upright in Portrait mode, and one 2560x1600res 30" monitor in Landscape.

I currently have a 24inch 1900x1200 monitor (LG L246W). I'm interested in getting 2 more same size and res monitors to use for a 3x1 Eyeinfinity setup. My question is: will TN panel monitors be good enough to use as the side monitors, or will i need to buy more expensive monitors?

Thanks.

I currently have a 24inch 1900x1200 monitor (LG L246W). I'm interested in getting 2 more same size and res monitors to use for a 3x1 Eyeinfinity setup. My question is: will TN panel monitors be good enough to use as the side monitors, or will i need to buy more expensive monitors?

Thanks.
TN panels at 1920x1200 are rare... Ones (TN, 1200p) with DP port even rarer (or not available yet).. If you want to by-pass getting an active DP to DVI converter, get at least one monitor with DP input.

Last edited:
TN's are alright in horizontal mode I suppose but you don't want them in Portrait mode. The viewing angle problem would be greatly exarcerbated!

a central 24 inch monitor with 1920x1200 resolution, and two 20 inch 1600x1200 (4:3) on the sides.

a central 24 inch monitor with 1920x1200 resolution, and two 20 inch 1600x1200 (4:3) on the sides.
different pixel pitch...Besides all have to be the same res. for Eyefinity...

Extended desktop will not be a problem though (since like for a decade or so ago)

Should I stay with my Dell 3007 monitor or sell it and go to 3x24" monitors?

The ATI 5780 gives me plenty of fps on my 2560x1600 screen

However going to 3x24" displays might be cause a big decrease in fps?

2560x1600= 4,096,000 pixels
1920x3600= 6,912,000 pixels

3x 1920x1080 projectors turned on their sides. 3240x1920 for 27:16 which very close to 16:10, only a tiny bit wider. (16.875:10 to be exact)

Provided you could get the projectors calibrated to be identical to one another color, brightness, and gamma wise, and you managed to get all three images perfectly lined up on the screen, you would have a very high resolution with no lines. It would be a pain it the ass to set up I'm guessing. Lower end 1920x1080 HT projectors can run over $1K easily. So it would not be cheap.

Does anyone know of an up scaling Bluray player? ;)
If you have some serious money, you could just go for a Sony 4k projector. Might not be very cheap, but it would have built in Blu-ray scaling. :D

That is perfection. They need to make a 24" size and all set

The screen doesn't go up to the edge. There is still a bezel, it is actually kind of large, it is just kind of hidden with the way they have the glass all across the front.

Kyle,

I feel the pain here! Seems to me there are two paths but both require some persuasion of LCD manufacturers. 1) Create a seamless bezel, 2) Create LCDs that 'match'.

I've been running 2x displays @ work for some time. I run 1x display at home for gaming. At work the tasks tend to be separated but for game, the transition makes me a bit crazy, so here's my thought....

tri LCD configurations which are height / resolution matched. I'd envision 4:3 side panels with a 16:10 middle. There could be a guide, if you sit X distance from your monitor, we recommend a tri 24" setup to get a wrap around effect.

The suggestion to use 1200x1600-2560x1600-1200x1600 is good but the problem is the size. yes the pixels match but the actual size is wrong, it misses by over .200".

Perhaps you could propose this type of idea to a few of the industry people whom you know?

So, I was thinking of trying a 3x1 setup with the middle monitor being a NEC EA231 and the two side monitors being Viewsonic VP2365WBs. Would this work?

Also, is there some way to indicate to Windows that I wish for the primary monitor to be the NEC and when not in-game, manage the two auxiliary monitors as two separate workspaces ( and not one giant span)?

Also, is there some way to indicate to Windows that I wish for the primary monitor to be the NEC and when not in-game, manage the two auxiliary monitors as two separate workspaces ( and not one giant span)?

Combining the displays into one is precisely what eyefinity does, so basically when not gaming you want to turn eyefinity off. I'm not sure how easy the drivers make it to switch back and forth because that seems a bit backwards but obviously it can be done manually.

I like the eyefinity I wonder if it would be possible to hook up 3 CRT's to it like the FW900. Does anyone know?

It should work if you use a displayport to VGA adaptor (don't have one myself), but there's another problem - CRT refresh rate seems to be limited to 85hz on 5870 drivers (tried the newest one) - I have a FW900 and I couldn't get it to 120hz like usual. Sounds like other people are having the same problem as well (there's a thread on overclockers.co.uk and [H] describing the same problem).

Hopefully a driver update will fix this issue?

If you hate the idea of bezels and are wealthy enough, QuadHD / 4K 2K may be the answer! Four 1920x1080 feeds into one 56" display: http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/06/sony-trimaster-quad-hd-lcd-multiplies-the-resolution-and-the-pr/ Similar panels were announced by Samsung & AUO, and there are a few horrendously expensive projectors from Sony & JVC available, as well as 103" & 150" Panasonic plasmas: http://www.akihabaranews.com/en/news_details.php?id=19036

The 56" sounds far too big, but I guess with Eyefinity expanded field of view it would be like playing on a 28" 1080p with seamless peripheral vision all round.

Honestly you can modefy the screen position a little to minimize the bezel issues a little.

I have a 2005fpw and a 2007 fp right now, the 2005 is my left monitor and I put the edge behind the 2007 a little bit. The Bezel is virtually gone from my sitting position. I dont know what the would do to the image as it already distorts a little bit long the edges of the images but it might help out.

If the DP to DVI adapters work I can use my wife's monitor for a third until I can get a nice 24" for the center screen and use my 20"'s on the side in landscape across.

I saw in another thread that you have to have a USB type powered DVI to DP adapter which runs about $100. However is there a cheap adapter for HDMI to DP to work with Eyefinity?

If you have some serious money, you could just go for a Sony 4k projector. Might not be very cheap, but it would have built in Blu-ray scaling. :D

That would be awesome, but, it only supports 1920x1080 over DVI, 4096x2160 is VGA only. Oh, and the $110,000.00 plus price tag puts it a bit outside of my league, without robbing a bank, or gutting my kids education funds, or putting a serious dent in my own retirement accounts. $5-7K, on three consumer grade HT projectors, and another $1K on a screen and minor alterations to my man cave to accommodate the setup, that I can prolly swing.

I saw in another thread that you have to have a USB type powered DVI to DP adapter which runs about $100. However is there a cheap adapter for HDMI to DP to work with Eyefinity?

Doubtful at this point. I believe it must be an Active adapter. At 30 dollars i don't hold out too much hope for mine but whatever.

I've been looking at a lot of different setups with eyefinity and while everyone raves about portrait monitor setups, I don't think you are getting that much more. Take for example 3 x 30 inch screens in portrait mode a 52 inch lcd offers more screen width and height then 3 x 30 inchers. Now while the pixel count if far lower and the screen is not curved it should still have the same immersion factor. With that in mind I rather have the monitors in landscape mode.

I've been looking at a lot of different setups with eyefinity and while everyone raves about portrait monitor setups, I don't think you are getting that much more. Take for example 3 x 30 inch screens in portrait mode a 52 inch lcd offers more screen width and height then 3 x 30 inchers. Now while the pixel count if far lower and the screen is not curved it should still have the same immersion factor. With that in mind I rather have the monitors in landscape mode.

LOL

Dude I have been messing around with my Eyefinity setup since September going back and forth from Landscape and Portrait on my 3 24"...and I am back to Portrait for good. It just blows away Landscape for immersion factor, hands down, the Landscape is way too wide and skinny looking, where as Portrait is a wall from floor to ceiling of pure LCD.
3 - 30" in Portrait would be a geeks wet dream, with the 2 sides angled towards you, that would be gaming heaven, and not even in the same ball park as one single 52" TV :rolleyes: A monitor that large at 52" with the low res of 1920x1080 would blow, the pixels would be gigantic with fuzzy quality compared to 3 - 30" of 4800x2560res :D

LOL

Dude I have been messing around with my Eyefinity setup since September going back and forth from Landscape and Portrait on my 3 24"...and I am back to Portrait for good. It just blows away Landscape for immersion factor, hands down, the Landscape is way too wide and skinny looking, where as Portrait is a wall from floor to ceiling of pure LCD.
3 - 30" in Portrait would be a geeks wet dream, with the 2 sides angled towards you, that would be gaming heaven, and not even in the same ball park as one single 52" TV :rolleyes: A monitor that large at 52" with the low res of 1920x1080 would blow, the pixels would be gigantic with fuzzy quality compared to 3 - 30" of 4800x2560res :D

Everyone wants that immersion factor, but in the end you created a 52 inch with a high pixel count.

i'm thinking of doing this as well and looking at 3x24" monitors. Debating between the U2410 & the 2408WFP... any recommendation Kyle?

Two Questions....

#1 If I didn't want to do Eyefinity and only wanted to drive 3 monitors with one card (2 as extended desktops) do i still need a monitor with a displayport input?

#2 What is the best/simpliest output port to adapt to a DVI input that will not be problematic?

Video Card HDMI -- > DVI-D on Monitor?
OR
Video Card DISPLAYPORT --> DVI-D on Monitor?

Two Questions....

#1 If I didn't want to do Eyefinity and only wanted to drive 3 monitors with one card (2 as extended desktops) do i still need a monitor with a displayport input?

#2 What is the best/simpliest output port to adapt to a DVI input that will not be problematic?

Video Card HDMI -- > DVI-D on Monitor?
OR
Video Card DISPLAYPORT --> DVI-D on Monitor?

One of the DVI ports on the 5870 is linked to the HDMI port. You can use one or the other. For native tri monitor you have to use the display port.

For Eyefinity you are supposed to need an active DP to DVI adapter. The active adapters run around a $100. If you don't intend to use Eyefinity, I would think an inexpensive passive DP to DVI adapter should work. Though I have not tried it with mine.

So i need to use DP, and 2 DVI ports to hook up a 30" and 2 20" monitors correct?

For this....

dell-3007wfp-04.jpg

So i need to use DP, and 2 DVI ports to hook up a 30" and 2 20" monitors correct?

For this....

dell-3007wfp-04.jpg

Not with Eyefinity :( This picture is NOT workable with the ATI 5800 series at all. All monitors must be the same resolution, and all monitors must be the same orientation either all Landscape or all Portrait no mix and match

Not with Eyefinity :( This picture is NOT workable with the ATI 5800 series at all. All monitors must be the same resolution, and all monitors must be the same orientation either all Landscape or all Portrait no mix and match

Mix and match is no doable for even a standard extended desktop on the 5800 series?

Really!?!?!?! :eek: Holy cow...i thought that was just for Eyefinity

Mix and match is no doable for even a standard extended desktop on the 5800 series?

If that is the case, it makes me very very sad. :eek: :confused:

Last edited:
Really!?!?!?! :eek: Holy cow...i thought that was just for Eyefinity

If that is the case, it makes me very very sad. :eek: :confused:

Eyefinity is great, I have it on my 3 - 24" monitors, all in Portrait mode of 3600x1920res But Eyefinity is very simple in a way. It must be straight forward setup, all displays must be the same size and same resolution, and all must be in the same orientation, either all Landscape, or all Portrait, not mix and match of anything, it just does NOT work with Eyefinity.

But the most common mix I see wanted and asked for the most, is of that picture, 20" Portrait + 30" Landscape + 20" Portrait. Is a shame AMD didn't figure that out in engineering this product, oh well.

SO you cant even disable eyefinity to run 20-30-20...i guess i am stuck running two video cards then.

SO you cant even disable eyefinity to run 20-30-20...i guess i am stuck running two video cards then.

without eyefinity u should be able to run any 3 monitor setup?
then its 3 seperate monitors so that should work.

I use 2 monitors, and can flip one to portrait and using the other as landscape, without eyefinity.

without eyefinity u should be able to run any 3 monitor setup?
then its 3 seperate monitors so that should work.

I use 2 monitors, and can flip one to portrait and using the other as landscape, without eyefinity.

That is good to here...I better wait until someone who has 3 different monitors running on one 5800/5700 series card posts....don't want to get stuck with a card. Or maybe gave ATI a call Monday.

i was running a 30' and two 24's (one in portrait) on my 5870 no problem.
you can run 3 monitors of any size in any orientation just fine as long as one has DP.

yes you can run PLP without eyefinity or any other combo
just tested using 3 screens.

eyefinity still is restricted to either or, PPP or LLL.
Landscape or portrait.

Back