Eyefinity Question

onin

Limp Gawd
This is first venture on surround gaming.

Current Specs are:
FX 8150
8GB Ram
2x6950s

Current display is 32in Sharp LED @ 1080p on HDMI

I saw some good deals on an LG 22in IPS displays and Im planning of getting 3, Can I run the 3x22in displays in Eyefinity mode while the Sharp is connected?

Connected yes, enabled no, but the AMD/ATI drivers have multiple display profiles.

I have a similar setup 3x23" 1080p displays + a 40" 1080p LCD TV.

I have a desktop mode profile for all 4 displays to be enabled and I have another for Eyefinity which will span the display to the 3x23" monitors and disable the 40" LCD TV.

The bad news is I also use HDMI audio from the video card to a receiver that is then connected to the LCD TV. When I go into Eyefinity mode I lose HDMI audio and instead have to use optical audio to the receiver, but that's HDMI's fault.

Connected yes, enabled no, but the AMD/ATI drivers have multiple display profiles.

I have a similar setup 3x23" 1080p displays + a 40" 1080p LCD TV.

I have a desktop mode profile for all 4 displays to be enabled and I have another for Eyefinity which will span the display to the 3x23" monitors and disable the 40" LCD TV.

The bad news is I also use HDMI audio from the video card to a receiver that is then connected to the LCD TV. When I go into Eyefinity mode I lose HDMI audio and instead have to use optical audio to the receiver, but that's HDMI's fault.

I think this is the one im looking for! thats great, I will have desktop mode and game mode.

thanks!

I have another question, my 6950 has 2 x DVI, 1 x HDMI, 2 x Displayport.

What is the best way to do the eyefinity setup here?

Can I use 2 x DP to DVI adapter and use the other DVI for 3 monitors?

You will need two active display port adapters if the monitors don't support it.

Yeah that is correct. You will need 2 active display port adapters. The HDMI port is actually shared with one of the DVI's.

If you're getting new monitors, just make sure they have native DP so you don't have to dink w/the adapters. It can be a pain and it's extra money anyway.

you can run the 1st monitor on a DP with only a passive adaper if you dont want to pay for a DP monitor....they are much cheaper...

2x legacy (dvi/hdmi) + 1x passive dp to hdmi/dvi is fine. If you add a 4th monitor, you will need either active adaptors or an active dp monitor (there are passive ones, so be careful)

Is there any quality loss using the display port adapters versus having a monitor that natively supports it?

yeah, the scanline bug is annoying, but at least its a cheaper option...

not everyone gets it though, its a crap shoot really...

no, it is identical regardless of the connector format used

I have the Asus ones and I have no complaints.

I looked at your sig and we have almost the same specs, I have an 8150 though :(. I just picked up the Asus today with the XFX triple stand. hopefully the game play isnt that laggy

Hey let us know how you like the XFX triple stand. I have a hard time getting my monitors perfectly lined up with my Chef tech stand.

Back