F*&% APC - crappy UPSs

pulldownyourpants

Stank Supreme
I'm just fustrated as hell right now with the APC Back-UPS. I have purchased 3 units, 2 back-ups Office 350va's and 1 back-ups ES 650.

Within two years of purchase one 350 and the 650 have crapped out. The 350 was just beeping it's ass off one night (happened about 2 1/2 years ago) and the 650 is sitting here clicking away. Just confused out of it's mind. Doesn't know whether to say it's on or off. It's just as well. The 650 was giving me problems for the last 6 months telling my computer it was low on battery and shutting it down for no reason. I wasn't even using the monitoring anymore because of it (I was actually thinking it was my "in need of a reload pc that was acting flakey. WRONG!")

Living in a new development is an issue as power outages are quite frequent. I need to at least give my computers SOME kind of notice to avoid that serious crash.

Now I have to go out and spend more money on one of these home versions of office equipment. FUCKING SUCKS! But guess who's not getting another nickle from me? YOU GOT IT! APC!!

I think I'll try TrippLite. They're actually local to me here in Chicago. I can always go break there window with their equipment if it fails.

Thanks for letting me rant. I couldn't find anyone else on the net with a similar deal.:mad:

sounds like a relay is failing

seen this before in places that have bad power

you may want to look at an online ups
it will cost more though

I just finished taking the time to go to APC.com and search for some answers. My unit is still under factory warranty so I sent an email stating what the issue was and that I would like a replacement. We'll see what transpires in the next few days. Hopefully this is a smooth process.

sounds like a relay is failing

seen this before in places that have bad power
This may be the case but the other UPS has been through 3 houses (two moves) and is still functioning. That leads me to believe it's cheap equipment. But what do I know. I'm just an end loser. RIGHT APC? RIGHT??? (sorry...still a little angry)

I just finished taking the time to go to APC.com and search for some answers. My unit is still under factory warranty so I sent an email stating what the issue was and that I would like a replacement. We'll see what transpires in the next few days. Hopefully this is a smooth process.

I've an APC 350 CS in use right now. Purchased in '01 or '02, IIRC. Did you miss out on the product RECALL notice shortly thereafter? Was a quick & painless process & the replacement unit has been steady as a rock.

You should be OK...You will probably have to answer a bunch of questions, but should get an RMA no problem...
I went thru it with one of my units and received a nice upgrade back from them..

The unit I got back cost twice as much as the one I sent them..:)

Further, IIRC, the RECALL notice was due to a potential fire hazard, so until you get squared away re whether or not your 350 units were of the affected runs, you might wanna unplug 'em. :)

Just googled "APC 350 CS UPS recall" & came up w/this: http://cc.uoregon.edu/cnews/winter2003/apcrecall.html

APC Recalls Some Back-UPS Models Because of Fire Hazard

Consumers advised to stop using some Back-UPS CS 350 and CS 500 models immediately.

American Power Conversion Corporation (APC) is voluntarily recalling two specific models of its backup power supply devices after reports of serious overheating.

The recalled models include the Back-UPS CS 350 and Back-UPS CS 500, in both 12-volt and 230-volt models. The first six characters of the serial numbers for the affected units range from AB0048 through AB0251, BB0104 through BB0251, and JB0125 through JB-0251 (Units with an ‘R' at the end of the serial number are not part of this recall.)

The recalled units were manufactured between November 2000 through December 2002.

For more details, see APC's website at http://www.apc.com/rely/ and the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission site at
http://cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml03/03068.html

Or, call 866 APC-RELY (866-272-7359) to learn more about the recall and replacement process.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Winter 2003 Computing News | Computing Center Home Page

APC quality control is awful. I used them for years but no longer.

At this most recent job we had a quick series of expensive failures that finished them off for me.

1. The plug on the primary Smart-Ups in the server room was defective and began to melt, and then burn. If it wasn't for my super-sensitive nose picking up the faint hot plastic smell in the office the server room would've gone up, and possibly the building. Thanks, APC!

small_burnt_plug.jpg

2. The step down transformer they drop-shipped not only had a huge cut in the cable, THE POWER SWITCH WAS MISSING. Nothing but an empty black hole where the switch should go. And a nice quality control PASSED printout taped to the top.

3. Of our two PDUs one was half dead, top sockets worked, bottom didn't. And yes, another PASSED QA note on it.

4. Dead communications card on the secondary Smart-UPS.

This is one installation, one server room, over a two month period. No more. Bye bye APC.

Within two years of purchase one 350 and the 650 have crapped out. The 350 was just beeping it's ass off one night (happened about 2 1/2 years ago) and the 650 is sitting here clicking away. Just confused out of it's mind. Doesn't know whether to say it's on or off. It's just as well. The 650 was giving me problems for the last 6 months telling my computer it was low on battery and shutting it down for no reason.

Sounds like the battery needs to be replaced. They don't last forever.

It sounds like you bought some cheap crap. Next time, shell out a few $$$ to buy a quality UPS.

You just be unlucky to use APC, because I have been using a lowerend ups for 10 years and counting. Quality control used to be great at APC, but like other companies they have slacked over the years.

You should be OK...You will probably have to answer a bunch of questions, but should get an RMA no problem...
I went thru it with one of my units and received a nice upgrade back from them..

The unit I got back cost twice as much as the one I sent them..:)
That's cool. I got an email reply asking me to try a few things and let them know how it went and so I did. They were saying it should beep twice when you hold in the power button, but that was not the case. It just clicks. CLICK CLICK CLICK. And more Clicks. Click. Hoping to hear back soon to get a new one. Click.

jstnomega - Didn't know about a recall but from what you posted, it's not for either of mine.

rbanzai - that's fucked up. At my job, we have about 16 APC SmartUPSs and haven't had a single issue with any of them. I was leaning towrds their home/home office line being complete and utter garbage.

Michael Daly - Battery works just fine. I disconnected the unit from the wall and the battery keeps the equipment powered.

Barstool - No shit?

Scorpionjwp - Agreed.

After a few weeks APC finally decided to foot the bill for the emergency electrician visit to get a new plug cut. The old mutilated plug is in my Hall of Shame... :)

The 650 was giving me problems for the last 6 months telling my computer it was low on battery and shutting it down for no reason. I wasn't even using the monitoring anymore because of it (I was actually thinking it was my "in need of a reload pc that was acting flakey. WRONG!")
What if you uninstall the software, would your computer keep getting shutdown? And do you really need the battery if all you're worried about is power surges from the power outages? I know you need the battery for keeping it online, but if you don't care about keeping it online, only about protecting it from surges, then do you really need the battery?

What if you uninstall the software, would your computer keep getting shutdown? And do you really need the battery if all you're worried about is power surges from the power outages? I know you need the battery for keeping it online, but if you don't care about keeping it online, only about protecting it from surges, then do you really need the battery?

No software installed. The battery would not allow the pc to start period. The PC would shut down as if the cable were disconnected. And I'm protecting against outages. They come in short spurts most times lasting only a few seconds.

Well, to update my UPS situation, APC told me that having a computer (350w PSU) Two monitors (on the battery backed up connections) speakers (40watt) and a cordless phone (both items connected to the surge protected side only) may be too much for the unit as it is rated for 390w. What?? I'll be asking them what exactly is recommended to connect to this unit if that POWER SUCKING LIST OF EQUIPMENT is too much.

They also asked me to connect it to another outlet and check it then, both with and with the equipment. I had the unit disconnected over night as I was pretty much done with testing it. So I took it to another outlet and plugged it up. NO CLICKING. Strange. Did it fix itself? I connected a laptop to it and waited for some clicking, but.....no clicking. Hmmm...... I took it back where my equipment is and plugged it in by itself. No clicking. I fear reconnected my computer to it as I don't trust it, but you have to wonder...why is it working now?

I still call "JUNK!"

Back